For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Shiba Stare
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    I was just curious if anyone with 2 or more Shibas stare at one another before they start to play. Kitsune and Kuma will stare at each other for about a minute or two and then grab a toy and chase each other or wrestle. They also stop and stare and then continue as they play in "rounds". It is quite fun to watch.
  • SayaSaya
    I don't have two shibas, but Saya and Bella my parent's boxer well do this like last night Bella was chewing on her bone Saya runs up to her stares at her then Bella starts to stare to then all of a sudden they start sassing each other and wrestling. Having dogs are so much fun and entertaining. lol
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • I don't have more than one shiba either, however Saru will do the "Stare Down" with the cat when they play. He also likes to do that when he really wants to play with another dog. Saru will even use his "Stare Down" on us when he wants us to play with him. I think it's a Shiba thing.
  • yup. our two do it all the time. when we see it we know that it's SHTF shiba time.
  • YoshiMitsuYoshiMitsu
    Yoshi stares at me and gives me an evil death look....but that's about it. As soon as I get another Shiba (which i hope is soon) I will get back to you :)
  • My Shibas do it, and it's something to watch out for. Make sure you have a good idea of what the stares mean. Toby, my male, does it in a very bullying way to other dogs, and I can now read the difference between his I'm just interested (which isn't the unblinking death stare) and his I'm thinking about killing that dog stare. It also goes with his body language too.

It's pretty important to watch it if the dogs have a history of squabbling or aggression, so you can manage any possible problems. It might just be about play, as noted above, but it can also be an attempt to dominate another animal.

I do think it's a Shiba thing, though.
  • StaticNfuzzStaticNfuzz
    Agreed it can go two different directions and you have to know your dog to understand the body language and intent.

My male will go into stealth mode and then run directly toward another dog full bore, usually side swiping or jumping over or bailing out at the last moment. My other dogs understand this but it is intimidating to unknown dogs and it can actually start an argument. I never leave him with old or less physically stable dogs since it is stressful for some when dodging is not an option. He can be a stinker in bullying at times and play can go sour very quickly if players are not on the same level. Yes, Shibas can injure less agile animals. In terms of management, it's often best to keep same play style and energy levels grouped.

Snf
  • I've never seen MoJo do that stare. He looks at me (usually when I put clothes on him) like "bitch", but doesn't hard eyeball me, lol.
  • kfields25kfields25
    LOL...wow your dog does that too? Yogi gets like that when I try to put the cute little shirts on him...it's hilarious! Well turn about is fair play!
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    Because the idea of the shiba stare was mentioned on the NK forum too, I thought I'd bump this thread, and ask a more general question about the Shiba stare. Do you have other experiences with it? Are there varieties of the Shiba stare?

I was thinking about this because Toby has always had the hard stare, and when he was a pup, he in trouble in his puppy class for it, and I was told I needed to stop him from "dominating" the other dogs through his staring. But one, he was about 9 weeks old and tiny, and I'm not sure he was "dominating" the other dogs (which even leaves aside the issue of dominance as a legitimate category describing behavior). Also, how, exactly, was I to stop him from doing it?

So I just wondered what other people's experiences have been with the "shiba stare" and what you think it means?
  • RyanARyanA
    My dogs do it before pouncing at each other and doing their mock combat. They make my house sound like I'm running a dog fighting ring because they are so vocal.
  • YoshiMitsuYoshiMitsu
    Yoshi does it with his friend Rocky (who is a Shiba). They will stare at each other from the opposite side of the park and then Yoshi chases Rocky. So funny lol.
    Post edited by YoshiMitsu at 2010-07-03 21:39:14
  • angnarusangnarus
    I'm not sure if this is the same thing you are all talking about, but our 8-month-old pup does a stare when we give her a new toy or anything she's unfamiliar with but wants to play with. She'll put her head down and look at the object out of the corner of her eye, then give a playful growl, then slowly move her head from side to side, then bark at the object and sometimes even lick the floor in frustration. She moves around the object and continues doing this. It sometimes goes on for 10-15 minutes before she gets up the nerve to pick up the object. Sometimes when she's playing with a toy, she'll drop the toy, walk away from it, look at it out of the corner of her eye, and then go after it again. It's hilarious.
  • emmyemmy
    Toby stares other dogs down when he's getting ready to lay down smack. It comes right before the growl. Which comes before the snarl. Which comes before the smackdown. I actually stop Toby when he's staring and make him come away from the other dog and/or take away any object he has. If the other dog knows me, I will also verbally get onto Toby and tell him to "be nice"--which he doesn't understand but I think he gets from my inflection that he's doing something bad. Then I call the other dog to me because that usually defuses things without rewarding Toby by showing HIM any positive attention.

Not sure what a behaviorist would say about it, but it works for me. The stare is something I pay close attention to, though because by the time it gets to a growl my time to defuse is limited.

When he stares at me, if I look back and ask what he wants, he usually turns away and rolls onto his back. :)
  • bobc33bobc33
    My two will frequently stare at each other for 10, 20 or more seconds, and then when one twitches they erupt into play. Once in a great while though the stare does mean one of them is not happy with something and I step in to defuse things, but I can tell the difference between the two types.
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    Rezzing---I really need to know. What is a Shiba stare? this may be the very thing that has been giving me problems but I am not sure what it would look like.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium
    Maya does it by doing what looks like a play bow, staring directly at another dogs face and barking, and then after a few seconds she will jump towards them a little. She’s trying to play.

... if the other dog is my other shiba, Buffy, so far she has just walked away leaving a dejected maya behind.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Ozzy totally stares at us like right before he's about to go into play frenzy. He usually just stares, wiggles his tail back and forth, and if I hold the stare, he will throw his body at me before pouncing off onto like a toy or just shiba sprinting away and screaming lol. I think I've got some videos somewhere... He will also do this when he's about to pounce on a treat or chew. Just stares at it, starts breathing heavily, sometimes starts lightly growling, then pounces hahah. When I picked him up from the breeder, my breeder told me not to engage in staring at him without blinking my eyes, or he might feel threatened by it. So I never just outright stare at him. I look away and return my gaze to him or blink several times. I think being stared at can definitely feel uncomfortable.

This isn't exactly the best example but it's one that's easy for me to find... hope the link works.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/kW1vW1jAbsCH0e1A2

This was like right after a long hike, we had just gotten home and Ozzy had a bully stick in the car that he carried inside and was very excited about. A bit of a delirious frenzy cus he was very tired after hiking. :)) He is very vocal at times. xP I also think it's a decent example of how shibas can be mistaken as aggressive hahaha. He looks and sounds like a total psycho running around with his mouth open, and he will totally run at / into us, but not with ill intentions or ever using his mouth. He's just a hyper nut. xD
    Post edited by Lilikoi at 2017-10-24 22:50:20
  • gakugaku
    @Lilikoi
    Completely irrelevant, but that booty! :x I can't handle it!!
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    Hmmm... by these descriptions, that might have been part of what set those dogs off at the hotel we went to. I know Coal sometimes stares---my husband calls it the "I want to bite you" look, and he generally does get bitey and barky and kind of crazy. I will have to pay more attention next time.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    @gaku - :)) just a wiggling tail tickling his back. He only wags his tail when he's in a crazy mood like this or just jiggles it a little when greeting us.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)