For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
hunger vomiting
  • mamfiemamfie
    HI guys,
    I'm relatively new to Shiba Inu membership, Kita has on two occasions now early in the morning has thrown up yellow foamy stuff, I have been doing a bit of research and have read that some times 'larger breeds' do this if they are hungry, I know kita is a big dog in a small body but I was wondering if any one else has a shiba does this?
  • sjp051993sjp051993
    some dogs will do that if their stomach is empty. Try feeding a small snack before bedtime and see if that helps.
  • Serkle kSerkle k
    My girlfriend's dog, Micha does that every now and then. We noticed a while back that he won't eat unless we are near or with him. And so every now and then he would just not eat, and then he'll vomit. It's like bile. And we usually try to leave some food available for him to eat when he gets hungry. But again, he won't eat unless we are with him. We have been able to get him on more of a schedule, and that has seemed to help as he has not done this in quite a while, but we make sure there is always just a small amount of food left in case he gets hungry during the day and we are not home.
  • wliu003wliu003
    While I think vomiting is always a serious situation and should be consulted with a vet, I do have some experience in this area that might help.

When she was around 1 she started throwing up yellow foamy substance around once a week for a few weeks. The 2nd time I took her to the vet and did fecal tests and blood tests but she didn't have anything infects or illnesses. But the vet also told me that dogs will do this when they have an empty stomach. So in the mornings, I would attempt to feed her but she doesn't eat so I resorted to giving her a treat or two every morning. Since then she hasn't thrown up that yellow foamy stuff. Another thing is that she used to love to eat grass when I let her out in the mornings. Eating grass almost always led to her throwing up so the Vet told me that eating grass could potentially induce vomiting on an empty stomach.
  • philfotephilfote
    Spike will do this; if he has something at the vet he needs to fast the day before for, he'll barf up a little orangey bile. Or if we feed him really really really late, sometimes he will.
  • KitaKita
    Hello! Another Kita pup here :-D

Yes, she's done this from time to time - I think it's when she's over-excited / over-stimulated and nothing's in her tum. She's offered food in the morning but doesn't always eat it. Doesnt' seem to bother her and she's as right as rain after.
  • HollydogHollydog
    Hi Everyone, I'm really happy I found this string. Holly is 9 months old today! But I woke up to her vomiting. She's "thrown up" before. But it always looked like regurgitation which I understand is common in dogs and actually a defense mechanism for them so I didn't worry so much especially as they were always isolated incidents.

But this morning it was yellow, foamy stuff and there was a trace of fresh blood in in. Her diet has been a bit strange the last 2 weeks. She hasn't had as good of an appetite as she did when she was even younger (she used to inhale her food). She seemed to get pickier and pickier with her kibble and would only eat treats.

So I think the vomiting is from hunger. But how can I get her to eat regularly again? Right now, she's on Royal Canine (I know it's not the best dog food but I live in China and it seems to be the brand that is most well stocked in the pet stores). She took to it when I got her from the breeder (who had her and all his other dogs a rice, veggie, and meat diet).

I am taking her to the vet in 15 mins and will see what he has to say but would appreciate any advice you guys might have as well.
    Holly's Human
  • NASANASA
    Hollydog said:

Hi Everyone, I'm really happy I found this string. Holly is 9 months old today! But I woke up to her vomiting. She's "thrown up" before. But it always looked like regurgitation which I understand is common in dogs and actually a defense mechanism for them so I didn't worry so much especially as they were always isolated incidents.

But this morning it was yellow, foamy stuff and there was a trace of fresh blood in in. Her diet has been a bit strange the last 2 weeks. She hasn't had as good of an appetite as she did when she was even younger (she used to inhale her food). She seemed to get pickier and pickier with her kibble and would only eat treats.

So I think the vomiting is from hunger. But how can I get her to eat regularly again? Right now, she's on Royal Canine (I know it's not the best dog food but I live in China and it seems to be the brand that is most well stocked in the pet stores). She took to it when I got her from the breeder (who had her and all his other dogs a rice, veggie, and meat diet).

I am taking her to the vet in 15 mins and will see what he has to say but would appreciate any advice you guys might have as well.

Ive said this before on the otherside, but I recommend you mix the food with warm water and turn it into a paste- like substance. That will help with the eating problem. Also check with the vet to be sure everything is ok.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I had a Lab that experienced this. I fed him a mid-daysnack that helped avoid the hunger sickness.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • So Moxy has been doing this a lot lately. Not sure if its always hunger vomiting though. At least once a week, maybe a bit more every once in a while. usually yellow bile, though sometimes its food OR food and bile. He had a recent check up and was fine, so I'm not sure what this is about. I bring this up because (I'm a night owl) I just got into bed and he hopped up on the bed and as soon as he got up here, he vomited a huge glop of food and white foam all over the blanket (last time it was right on my husbands pillow!) he is acting totally fine though. This is the 3rd time he has vomited on the bed in the last two months. I hate shutting him out of the room, but yuck! Any suggestions? he eats grain free canned food. Sometimes I mix with a bit of dry, but not often.
  • BootzBootz
    @MoxyFruvous

Is there a reason why your shiba is fed canned food?

How many meals a day do you feed him?
  • JuniJuni
    And you are sure it is not kennel cough?

Juni has a bit of reflux problems and sometimes puke but more often "regurgitate" when she is lying down and has to sit up and swallow a lot. It can also happen when she gets up or hop down from furniture. I give her some calcium powder that helps with the pH level and calms down her stomach.
  • @Bootz He eats the canned right now because earlier this year, he decided he didn't want dry. No matter what I did to it. Add water. Nope. Treats? Nope. Try different kinds? Nope.
    So I gave him some canned and now he eats! He eats twice a day. Morning and evening. With a treat here and there. :)

@Juni 100% sure its not. The vet doesn't even think that was what was wrong with Tang last month. Ya know, I never even thought about a reflux issue. I had a cat with that. He would vomit foam or food almost daily. We started giving him half a Pepcid AC everyday and like magic, he was fine. I wonder if that is whats up with Moxy? The question is, what would be best to give him for that.
  • sunyatasunyata
    When he went in for his check up, did the vet run a full blood panel including thyroid? Thyroid issues are known to cause mystery vomit. If the panel was not run or did not include a full thyroid panel, I would check into that in addition to the reflux issues also. Talk to your vet about the possible reflux before starting him on any off label medication.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • JuniJuni
    The vet and other dog owners with similar problems suggested I'd give her a little snack in the mornings to reduce the acidity, because going too long with an empty stomach makes it worse.
    The powder I use is a Swedish supplement so I doubt it is available for you. Standardt pH balans is the name.
  • DabishDabish
    I've woken up around 3 am to Marv doing this. I feed him twice a day, second meal usually around 6/7. I just give him a handful of kibble before bed time and he's fine
  • Can I tell you what great timing this thread popped up at, because I woke up to nymeria doing this at 3am too.... Will definitely try the handful of kibble before bed.
  • Fen did this when we first started "Shiba sitting" him back in June. I called my daughter and asked her if he had been throwing up (Fen is her Shiba, though lives with us) and she said yeah sometimes, but wasn't concerned. She was VERY strict with his feeding times and amounts and he seemed to us that he was ALWAYS hungry, so I bumped up his amount and fed him and I give him an extra feeding mid day and bump the evening feeding back later, and now he doesn't vomit at all. I had read online that it could be an "empty stomach" thing, so I figured that if the extra food helps him then all good, and if not, then vet. It's been 4 months with no issues so I guess it helped =)
  • DabishDabish
    I've woken up around 3 am to Marv doing this. I feed him twice a day, second meal usually around 6/7. I just give him a handful of kibble before bed time and he's fine
  • BootzBootz
    renitiadb said:

She was VERY strict with his feeding times and amounts and he seemed to us that he was ALWAYS hungry, so I bumped up his amount and fed him and I give him an extra feeding mid day and bump the evening feeding back later, and now he doesn't vomit at all. I had read online that it could be an "empty stomach" thing, so I figured that if the extra food helps him then all good, and if not, then vet. It's been 4 months with no issues so I guess it helped =)

I think the problem is the "strict" feedings. The body gets use to when food comes in so the stomach acid gets ready hence the hunger vomit, if you feed late. Try to be more flexible with the feedings. I feed my dogs anywhere between 7 am - 8 am for breakfast, small snacks/treats in between meals, then dinner around 6-7 pm. No hunger vomit issues ever because the body is not use to a strict meal time

• DabishDabish
    0.0 im not sure why my comment posted twice. Help mods!
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I second @Bootz concern about the "strict" feedings. I have heard of dogs that will get upset stomachs if they are on very regulated feeding times - like that they will get sick if they get fed later or earlier than what their bodies are used to.

I feed my pets anytime between 6:30pm to 8pm depending on how much energy that they have exerted, if they are sleeping later, etc.

The same goes with breakfast - my schedule changes so they eat whenever I get up in the morning from 6am to 9am.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • Agreed about the strict feedings. I don't let him have open feeding, but if he lets me know he is hungry I do give him a snack. =) I told my daughter too so that she will be less strict once she gets him back. =)
  • So thought I would bring this up again for vomiting and poo issues.

Moxy appears to be constipated. He tried to poop several times yesterday with either tiny droplets of poo or nothing at all. He refused food yesterday as well. I even tried string cheese (his all time favorite!) He'll take it, but not eat it. Tried canned and dry food. I gave him a spoonful of his canned food with a spoonful of pumpkin and yogurt this evening. he licked a little bit of it. This afternoon he ate a little of the regular canned food, but threw it up about 45 minutes later. I can tell he doesn't feel great, but he also REALLY wants to play with his toys. He has been smacking his lips almost non stop for 24 hours and burping. He is drinking water. I'm thinking he is constipated and might have heartburn. But I wanted to see what ya'll think and what I should do until I can get him into the vet (hopefully later today) he doesn't seem to be tender anywhere on his body. No coughing.

he is 9 years old and his regular food is Merrick dry and canned, twice a day. I started adding salmon oil about a month ago as well.
  • sunyatasunyata
    To the vet. Immediately. This sounds suspiciously like a blockage.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • Agreed with @sunyata. If he hasn't pooped in 24 hours and lacks an appetit something is definetky seizing up his tracts.
  • @sunyata and @BanjoTheBetaDog are spot on... it might be nothing, but if he's normally a pretty healthy eater and wont even touch his favorite treats, I'd make an appointment without delay.
  • @moxyfruvous, Is it possible he ate Tang? Just asking since I haven't seen more tang pictures recently =)

• Thanks everyone!

He slept through the night and right now he is eating a canned food/pumpkin/yogurt mix I made for him. He ate all of it, which is very good, though I didn't give him a lot, just in case. Don't want to overwhelm the system. I'm going to see how he does over the next hour (any vomiting, burping, no BM) and we'll be right off to the vet. It is not uncommon for him to not eat for a day. This has happened before. Usually when I'm out of town. I was just worried about the vomit and constipation.

@Banjothebetadog I've been wondering where Tang got off too. That would certainly explain Moxy's odd behavior. He must have a 22lb hairball stuck in him somewhere.

• @Moxyfruvous So did he poop or what?
  • Yeah, he is better. Now our Corgi is vomiting and refusing food today. Which for her, is a big deal. She is a walking garbage disposal, so very unusual. So it must be some kind of doggie stomach flu making its way around the house. Hope the cats can't catch it. :/

Tang vomited a little while I was out of town 2 weeks ago. So maybe its a virus or something.
  • Poor dogs. Sounds like you are on it though. Glad Moxy is feeling better.
  • Of course I look up dog stomach flu and symptoms into Google and start getting stuff about Parvo. Ugh! Doesn't Google understand I'm a paranoid pet owner?!!

Don't know what this is, but hopefully not that. The symptoms seem to be vomiting undigested food, constipation and not being hungry. I guess that could be anything.
  • BootzBootz
    @MoxyFruvous

If it started with your shiba and passed on to your corgi... You might want to check with your vet. I rather pay the money to get some kind of answer or reassurance then wonder what is wrong.
  • @MoxyFruvous-I agree with Bootz. It's time to see the vet!
  • RikkaRikka
    @MoxyFruvous - Thirding with a trip to the vet!
    Lauren, living with a 4 y/o Shiba named after a scientist. ☆
  • Nothing seemed to be wrong. might have been a bug. might have been a coincidence that PJ vomited too. No meds needed and everyone is back to normal now. I just got a Moxy burp in my face. Thats very normal. So.. *shrug*

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)