For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
  • mochimochi
    Is anyone using an Easy Walk Harness? I'm trying to get a feel on what size to get Mochi when she's an adult. I tried getting one for her puppy size (S/P), but the sizes don't fit at all. I called Premier and they will let me exchange it through them but I figure I should just get an adult size.
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-05-31 01:21:47
  • They make mid-sizes, that tend to be perfect. My male who was 26lbs wore a medium. They make a small/medium that would probably be perfect for a female.
  • We have a small easy walk harness for India. She is a little over 10lbs at 6 months, and it fits perfectly around her. I would measure Mochi's girth and go from there...small is 15-20" while the medium is 20-28".
  • mochimochi
    Kuma-chan, we just tried the small size at a local store. The chest strap seemed a little small even on the largest setting. I'm trying to get the 'girth' straps to wrap vertically around Mochi like in the following video. Is that how it is for India?

I was trying to fit it like in this video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxfMiC-B6tk
  • DianaBostonDianaBoston
    Hey all... Is it possible for an Easy Walk harness that is supposed to be the "correct" size (small/medium) to just plain not fit a certain body type? My girl is 19 lbs. but is very, very barrel-chested.. No matter how I tried to adjust the Easy Walk harness, it just would not fit as described that it should fit in the fitment videos. I could not get a vertical alignment of the shoulder and belly straps. Adjusted the chest strap to it's maximum, but still no go. Just wondering if certain body types just do not jive with certain products? Guess I'll be returning it.

Also, anyone have any experience with the "Walk your dog with love" harness? I've seen them selling at pet and dog shows, but wonder if anyone has ever used one?

http://www.walkyourdogwithlove.com/
    Post edited by DianaBoston at 2012-07-22 18:03:10
  • biz79biz79
    I use an easy walk with my 1yr old shiba male, Kaiju (s/m) and it's never really fit well like the instructions show (in terms of a straight vertical line). It's close, but still sort of like a sideways Y. However, it still works fine (using it about 6 months).

My other gripe with the Easywalk is that the front starts to get loose after awhile and begins to droop/hang down, so I constantly need to re-tighten the front again. Lately, Kaiju's been widening up though (read: getting fat) so it's been less of a problem.

If it's still working for you, I think it's okay. I've been looking into the Freedom no-pull harness lately, since it has more resizing clips than the easywalk and hopefully keeps form better.
  • I'm with biz79. I just bought an easy walk harness the other day and it doesn't fit Sonic very well. At least not like the instructions. I took it off and tried to make the vertical line but the connectors are pretty small to where it will only create a Y shape.

The front gets loose many times even it's pretty snug on the little guy. Although it works great, it just doesn't look comfortable for Sonic at all. Hopefully once he starts getting bigger, it'll fit him better.
  • DianaBostonDianaBoston
    Yea, I decided to return the small/medium Easy Walk cause we could just not get it to fit right. Watched the videos 20 times and it just did NOT work. So, have bought and returned a series of other harnesses.. I finally bought a Soy Harness that fits a girth of 16-24 inches and this one seems to fit and not rub under the legs. I don't think anything is "perfect", but as long as it doesn't loosen as we walk and she is comfortable, then that is all that counts.
  • ShibaLoveShibaLove
    I am looking into getting an Easy Walk Harness for Nikko. I want a harness that attaches the front but am seeing mixed reviews on the Easy Walk. does anyone know of any other good front attaching harnesses? Thanks
  • jarvizjarviz
    reviving a dead thread. Anybody have any experience with the Petsafe Easy Walk Harness? It has over 2500 reviews 4.5 stars on amazon, but I'm worried if it'll be okay for our escape artists.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    @jarviz
    It will NOT be good for escape artists. My friend has one and her dog backs out of it easily. It's also a pain in the a** to put on. Not worth the effort or money.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
    Post edited by Kira_Kira at 2015-01-07 23:04:25
  • Wait, what?

I use that and have for a while with literally no issues. I don't use the loop under the chin, i align it such that the loop is on top.
  • I haven't used that one, but I used the SENSE-ation harness which is similar, I agree with Kira. Nym is able to slip out of it pretty easily, unless it's on way tighter than it should be.
  • jarvizjarviz
    so is the SENSE-ation one more secure?

@BanjoTheBetaDog if the loop is on top, isn't that just defeating the purpose of it being a no-pull harness?
  • Yeah, but I don't always make sense so I deal with the occasional pulling.

• No the SENSE-ation one is very similar to the Petsafe, not secure for an escape artist (IMO).
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Try looking into martingale harnesses - they tighten a bit and that may just help with pulling in addition to being difficult to escape from. I have one for Kira and love it.
    imageimage

• @Kira_Kira, the ez walk has a martingale loop on it that tightens when pulled.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    @BanjoTheBetaDog - but Kira's custom martingale harness is so much prettier (and easier to put on) ;)

Hers is a pretty teal Cherry Blossom pattern, which I'm sure you have seen before :)
    imageimage

• zandramezandrame
    Martingales are good for preventing collar slip, but they are NOT good for dogs who pull. The safe placement of a collar is right behind the ears, and this works fine with dogs who walk loosely at your side. But when a dog pulls, the collar moves further down the next and compresses the trachea. If your dog pulls till he wheezes, this can do permanent damage.

We used a martingale on Kouda until he was 5 months old and could no longer walk without gagging.

For leash training a stubborn dog who pulls, a harness is safest.

Kouda hates step-ins, so all our harnesses go easily over his head. I like versatility, so I prefer harnesses that have attachment points in the front and back. We have the Wonder Walker, and the new Ruffwear Front Range. The Front Range is my current favorite.

We also have a few Nordic style harnesses, from ComfortFlex and Hurtta. They don't attach in front, but are padded and so easy to put on.

See for more http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/8583/everyday-harness/p1

Kouda's Front Range.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    @zandrame
    Just wanted to reiterate that Kira has a martingale HARNESS, not a martingale collar. I'm recommending the martingale harness for the pulling.
    imageimage

• zandramezandrame
    @Kira_Kira, lol completely missed that. But I'll leave it since it's still a good warning. What's the brand or link for your custom one?
  • jarvizjarviz
    how does a martingale harness help control pulling?
  • AWE46M3AWE46M3
    We use the Easy Walk harness and it has been quite good. Pretty easy to put on and our dog really doesn't mind wearing it. We used a Puppia for a while but our dog was noticeably less comfortable in it.
  • @zandrame
    That Front Range harness looks great. I noticed that the front attachment point is just nylon webbing and not a d-ring. Have you used that or do you think it will be durable enough?
  • zandramezandrame
    @LilMooks, yes, the front attachment is a folded and reinforced piece of webbing. We have used it with no problems, but mostly use the back ring - since for Kouda the biggest concern with him pulling is him straining himself, and even with the back ring he is fine. I did have the same concern about the webbing, but I realized the metal d-ring is also attached by a strap of (unreinforced) webbing, so I doubt it is any less safe.

Do you have an REI near you? That's where we got ours, and they have an awesome return policy, and ruffwear has their own guarantee too. BTW, Kouda's girth is 22in, and he maxes out the XS.

When I was considering getting one, I did find a few good reviews -
    http://barkandswagger.com/love-my-dog-harness-review
    http://zoephee.blogspot.com/2014/10/zoephee-reviews-ruffwear-front-range.html?m=1
  • @zandrame
    I'm in Toronto but I think I found a distributor that I will check out tomorrow. Mookie is about 23 inches girth so looking at the fit guide he is probably an S cranked down tight. Thanks!
  • @LilMooks ever come down London way? :)
  • MochiCreamMochiCream
    I really like the front range harness, the look and everything. I currently got the Easy Walk, because so many people recommended it and people say it's better to train dogs out of pulling.

I just got my puppy this past weekend (12 weeks now) and she generally follows really well. Once in a while she'll want to explore dangerous areas which is where I draw the line but she gives up after maybe 15 seconds or so. So I don't know if I need the Easy Walk for pulling (not like she's strong enough to pull much anyway).

Do you think the Front Range would work well for me? The biggest problem I seemingly have right now is she is able to turn around and bite the leash, or it gets caught behind her front leg, or both legs and then it is basically going through her crotch (do dogs have "crotches"?)
  • knaokoknaoko
    Yes I am using the front harness too which was recommended by the trainer at puppy class. The one which I am using is, Sense-Ation, http://www.softouchconcepts.com/index.php/product-53/sense-ation-harness
    and Kunalong Australia,
    http://kumalong.com.au/
    I trained shiba from 10 weeks so he follows the lead, never tried to pull. I also train him to heel about half of my walk with slice of sausage in my left hand. I feed him half of his breakfast by using lure for this training. I want him to heel beside me so my puppy doesn't eat rubbish accidentally on the street.
  • MochiCreamMochiCream
    Oh sorry, I actually meant specifically the ruffwear front range harness that has the attachment point in the back. I feel like that might cause a lot less tangling
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I wouldn't buy that harness until she's bigger. Your puppy is brand new and is still learning a lot about life, including walking with a leash and harness. Be patient, and don't blow all your money on so many harnesses this early in the game.
    imageimage

• MochiCreamMochiCream
    okay thanks @Kira_Kira

I have patience when it comes to dogs thankfully, but maybe less when it comes to buying things :-bd
  • @mochicream,

I have a ruffwear harness I have literally never used. I paid $60 for it... if you want it, we can come to a fair trade/price.

I don't think the ez walker harness is very good. I used it for a while and Banjo developed a limp. (probably my fault)

• MochiCreamMochiCream
    @BanjoTheBetaDog
    Woops I actually just got this one for $40... thanks for the offer though!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LHY07UQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Not that I didn't want to listen to @Kira_Kira... X_X but sometimes I have an itchy trigger finger. Also, the harness is 17-22in across the chest, and I measured Mochi is she is actually 16.9in, so I figured she would grow into it if anything and I would still get some good usage out of it either way.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)