For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Bathing your Shiba
  • So we read that you should not bathe a Shiba Inu unless it is totally necessary. We were considering bathing Nikita but didn't know if we should or not. We were wondering if any of you knew anything about it?
    Thanks
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-05-31 01:23:10
  • RacieRacie
    Bathe the pup when they reek! I think in general Shiba's just don't need to be bathed as often as other dogs (since they are for the most part clean freaks), we've bathed our Kiba about 3 or 4 times in the first year of his life and the rest of the time when he is dirty or smelly we just wipe him down with baby wipes =]
  • I literally bathe my Shikoku (did the same with my shiba when Moto was still alive) maybe two times a year. Hold out for stinkiness.
  • SayaSaya
    I only bathed Saya once to help with her blowing coat, but she doesn't really stink that much to bath a lot.
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • I bathe mine 1-2 times a year as well. When Bel is smelly she gets it, but she's pretty easy to bathe, and she just sits still and shakes. Toby is hard to bathe, and he screams and trembles, and he is usually such a tough guy it makes me feel bad. Luckily he doesn't need it often. If his white fur is looking grey I bathe him, but haven't had to do it too much.

When he was really badly hurt and at the vet, they had to do all kinds of things to him--like his wounds had to be cleaned out twice a day, drains flushed, etc. We all knew he was in pain. He never even growled. But he did bite the vet tech once. When they bathed him after he'd wet himself because of his IV...Poor boy, he probably thought that was the worst part of his stay at the vet--the evil water!
  • xremiixremii
    Wait a minute, don't we just run 'em through the sprinklers and hope for the best? Hehe.

During the winter, not so much bathing due to the coldness. But in the summer, my dog probably gets a bath 3-4 months, depending on her stinkiness..
  • Thanks for all the feedback!
  • The reason for not bathing a shiba real often is it softens the coarse guard hairs. Once the guard hairs are soft, they do not offer as much protection. in other words it takes away from the natural function of the shiba coat. My shibas are bathed every 6 months (usually after they blow coat), except my show dogs. They are bathed before each show.
  • Clearly I bathe T more than anyone here bathes their shibas!!! :) Every other month, winter every few. Reason? He sleeps in bed with us and I can't handle even a little stinky in my bed. :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)