For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Dealing with off-leash dogs and their owners
  • I'm sure there is another thread on this topic, but I didn't find it this morning. I'm curious, how do you all deal with off-leash dogs and their owner? Yoshi is the type of dog that must be on a leash at all times unless he's in a fenced area. He also has some unpredictable aggression/fear issues that we are working on. H's still a puppy and we're hoping ths gets corrected with training and time. But it seems as though the residents in our condo complez are against us. So many owners let their dogs roam free with no leash. Not only is this against the law in our county, but I'm pretty sure there is also a HOA policy on this as well. How do I tell owners to put their dog on a leash nicely?

[mod edit: changed category]
    Post edited by sunyata at 2013-05-28 10:50:29
  • I don't normally do it nicely at all. My dogs like other dogs, and even still, I typically end up saying something like

"Leash your goddamn dog! Unless you can give me a good reason why you get to be above the law!!!"
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    Because of Jazz's reactive issues, when we see an off-leash dog, Jazz gets picked up and in the sling she goes. I usually get the standard, "Mine's friendly" to which I reply "Mine isn't and she would like to kill yours". I have actually then got the reply "Well, you shouldn't walk your dog in public if it isn't friendly" - my reply "It's only the dogs & owners who break the law by not leashing that cause my dog's issue". Nobody wins, but Jazz doesn't get reactive to the other dog because she's in the sling, so it makes for a happier outing.
    LJ - owned by Queen Jazz, a Shiba Inu, Atlanta, GA
    CSC_0144
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    There's no nice way to tell people to obey the law.

"Please leash your dog!"
    - Oh but mine is friendly
    "Would you let a child walk up to random strangers to say hi? I'll ask again, leash your dog!"
    - Well maybe it's your dog that has a problem
    "Which is exactly why mine is on a leash, and thus why the law exists. Whatever happens from here on out is your fault. Consider it my last warning."
    - This is usually the point where the other owner proceeds to try and recall the dog....repeatedly....failing...
    Smarta$$ remark would be here:
    "Looks like you have problems of your own"

Jesse
  • Yikes. I haven't had to deal with unleashed dogs yet and I hope I never do.
  • I like knowing that I'm not the only one who wants to yell some expletives at these people. Now that I think of it, it's the smaller dogs with older owners that are not on leash or at least the majority of them are. You know, the ankle-bitter size. Yoshi just wants to eat them for lunch. David had a conversation with the owner of Yoshi's nemesis (a crazy dachshund). They acknowledge that they don't leash him up but yet they still let him roam the complex. I've almost hit him with my car because he will charge it and won't stand down.
  • I can never take Sage anywhere very public because he is extremely uncomfortable, vulnerable and dog reactive in public areas. An encounter with an off leash dog will set us back to square one and we have worked too hard to risk that. Where i live is rather rural, converting to suburban, and many Townies hold over the same open-door dog management that has been in place since much less developed times here. There are loose dogs everywhere, and chained ones that lob canine epithets at him as we go by. At public places he must go, like the vets, (our dear vet happens to be in a Banfield in a PetsMart, so the tone is very dog-social and visit-y to get to him. The only place I take him where I can fend dogs off, and the receptionists and techs do everything to minimize our lobby time.) I am no longer wishy washy about describing why someone should keep their dog away (no more, "Umm, actually.."). The shortest thing you can say that gets the action you want to happen. I have to react before Sage does- no small task. At even a glance, "We're not Friendly!" usually does the trick, and typically then Sage puts on a very convincing display of not being friendly, followed by the spacey owner with the damn retractable leash responding "WHAT! IS THAT?!" and mumbles into their cell that they just met a crazy red haired woman with a freakin hyena in a PetsMart.

The way most people employ their flexi leads the dogs might as well be off leash.
    Post edited by Wryly Brindle at 2010-01-14 23:13:48
  • obukobuk
    We used to live in an apartment complex. There was a lady with two dachshunds always on the cell and both the dogs always off-leash. My dog reacts too, especially if a dog invades his space without permission! So, with those small dogs, I just hold my foot out to kick them before they even have a chance to attack me or my dog. That owner was simply too stupid to even say something more than once...
    With the bigger dogs roaming around, I always had my mace. One time I didn't and that day Mochi got attacked by two Boxers that came running down their driveway going straight for Mochi's neck! I have learned my lesson to not forget my mace again when out walking the dog. We now live more out in the country and there are lots of dogs roaming around freely. No HOA either but most dogs are actually friendly and Mochi even plays with them. I know where the Boxers live plus the 80 someting yr old mother was watching the dogs that day... yeah yelling "I'm so sorry, i'm so sorry" down the driveway didn't exactly help that day. MOch iwas lucky though but I have learned to be much more cautious...

If I do encounter stupid people that won't listen and think it's ok cause THEIR dog is friendly. I say "Yeah, but MINE ISN'T FRIENDLY." They then usually leave all disappointed talking to their dog: "come on, Poopsie (or whatever their name is) they don't wanna play with you..."
    and I'm thinking to myself: "I just saved your dog's life, b****"
    Post edited by obuk at 2010-01-15 12:22:12
  • Hmmm...I've been known to say " Violet that other dog doesn't want to say hello" when someone pulls their dog away, as a more neutral way to gauge whether the dog isn't friendly, or if the other owner is afraid of my dog. I don't think that anyone who says it is automatically judging you. I say it because I don't want to make any assumptions and say "my dog is friendly" because there are a range of reasons why someone may pull their dog away-- from their dog being reactive, to their being afraid that your dog isn't friendly because their dog has been attacked recently. On the other hand I also always ask if Violet can say hello (asking if your dog is friendly also seems to frame things a bit too judgmentally and doesn't take into account that a dog may be friendly most of the time but is stressed out at the moment or having a bad day). What I really don't understand are the people who have unfriendly dogs that let them go off-leash. When Violet was still very young, we had an off-leash lab bound up pretty close to her one day. I asked if it was ok if Violet said hello and she responded that her dog was unfriendly and reactive and I had to wonder why on earth this woman would have her dog off-leash, in a densely populated part of a very dog friendly town.

Admittedly though I've experience a lot fewer problems with dogs off-leash and I'm guessing it's because our time is spent primarily in Princeton, NY, or Baltimore. I suspect that the latter two are too urban or populated for people to really try to get away with having dogs off-leash, and Princeton has a large police force with seemingly little to do other than patrol the streets, so one would be unlikely to get away with having their dog off-leash without being fined. I guess my personal pet peeve is more when people bring reactive dogs to the dog park knowing that they are reactive (once I saw a woman who had adopted a rescue and was trying to socialize her reactive dog. The dog had to wear a muzzle for the majority of the time and kept chasing and snapping once the muzzle came off). I understand socializing a reactive dog, but plunging them straight into the dog park seems like a recipe for disaster.

I just wish that people would be taught general manners when it comes to interacting with other dogs. This whole thread sadly reminded me of that time I asked if Violet could say hello and some poor put upon woman actually thanked me for asking her first. It's something that I wish were automatic. I also wonder if those with their dogs off-leash in public places think about the fact that some people don't like dogs, or may be scared of them. We've encountered people (usually children but some adults) who are terrified of Violet, and as it is we keep her no more than 2 feet away from us on a walk, and don't let her sniff strangers unless they indicate that it is ok. Even then I can recall of at least one instance where someone was really upset with us because she wanted to know why we would walk such a "vicious" looking dog. I can't imagine the fits that off-leash dogs give her.
  • MyloMylo
    HAHAHA I love it when we start a new off-leash threads.

I actually just yelled at a woman this morning. Her sheltie is NEVER on a leash. I've asked her several times (luckily when Mylo was not with me) to leash her dog, and she usually just goes "Lucy, COME." and ignores me. Did I mention that she leaves her dog off leash in our parking garage, with several blind corners, and people who drive like morons? Well, I was walking Mylo this morning, and she was outside with "Lucy" and lo and behold, Lucy approached us. I nudged at lucy's chest with my foot and pulled Mylo behind me and said, "PUT A DAMN LEASH ON YOUR DOG! I've asked you SEVERAL times! You're so irresponsible! Follow the building rules and THE LAW!". Through all of this she just ignored me and said "Lucy, COME." GUH. Moron. Little does she know, I know her parking spot number, and I'll be writing a formal report about her to the Superintendent.

On a general note, if I see someone walking towards Mylo and I, I usually cross the street. If they're using a flexi I say "Pleas don't let your dog approach!" if they don't get the body language hint that I put Mylo on a very tight leash, on the other side of my body away from them and say "Mylo, leave it". If off leash I just yell "GRAB YOUR DOG PLEASE". By that time they usually call the dog's name, and once I learn the name I give it my own command. "FIFI, SIT! STAY!" Sometimes it works, other times the dog is dumb, so I put my foot to it's chest as best I can, and block Mylo with my body/other leg. Sometimes it ends in a fight and I just say "Put a leash on your dog and follow the law!"
  • this is a little off topic but Mylo's post just reminded me of some idiot drivers. It blows my mind how many people do a rolling stop when its a red light. At first I didn't realize it was a such a big issue until I was walking my pup and he walked ahead of me and almost got ran over by some moron that decided to keep going thru the red light. Ugh I hate stupid drivers and starting to get Severus to walk by my side now.
  • MyloMylo
    Lol, don't even get me started about the stop sign near my place. I'm just waiting for the day someone runs it and I have a bag of "Mylo's Delight" in my hand. I will launch it as hard as I can at the car.
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    Rolling stops and flexileads---2 things on the I Really Hate List.
    LJ - owned by Queen Jazz, a Shiba Inu, Atlanta, GA
    CSC_0144
  • obukobuk
    Janie aka violet_in_seville, I didn't mean normal people like you who show they understand that a dog "doesn't wanna play". What I meant were the ignorant type of people who act (yes, they show it!) like I'm the worst person on earth for not letting my dog "play" with their dog...
  • amesylphamesylph
    Ki is very excitable around other dogs. I tend not to let him say 'hi' to new dogs without explaining his play-style (he likes to jump and shove so that the other dog with chase him) and getting an okay. Even then, I'm careful if there is a big size difference. For the most part, we haven't had any problems with dog-sized dogs. Luckily the only ones we've bumped into off-leash were well-behaved.

Ki has had a number of run-ins, however, with micro-dogs. Being the Californian apartment-dwellers that we were, most of the dogs we'd see were tiny tiny omg tiny things. Chihuahuas, mini poodles, those tiny things that look like papillons or poms with husky colors... Anywho, what these dogs tended to have in common was a lack of exercise, a lack of training, and Napoleon complexes.

So on a number of occassions we've had these little dogs charge Ki and try to kill him. Their size meant that their attempts were rather unsuccessful but it was their owners lack of concern that always bothered me. Their responses ranged from, "Oh yeah eventually another dog will get him...but then he'll learn" to "My dog can't hurt anyone so keep your dog under control."

My favorite (read: totally made me so mad) was when a woman's three-legged mini-chihuahua (he had gotten away before and been injured) broke through her screen window to attack Ki...she ran out and scooped him up from where Ki was sitting (thankfully! usually he gets into a game of whack-a-mole where his squishes them under his paws like a cat) with her dog trying desperately to reach his throat and glared at me whilst cuddling him as if Ki had broken into her house to try and eat him.

I totally appreciate (and am jealous of) people who have awesome control when their dog is off-leash, but in an area with other dogs, even when you have that training, it's just safer and nicer to the other dogs who might get a bit cranky about other dogs being off-leash to keep your dog on until you get to somewhere that's more appropriate. The people who inappropriately have their dogs off-leash don't seem to be the type you can reason with. Everything that could possibly happen is totally not their fault...it's like they want something to go wrong. :( It seems all you can do is mention it politely, avoid them, and report them when necessary.
  • This thread seems great for venting. This is one of my BIGGEST pet peeves. I live in Fairfield County CT, and everyone here thinks their dog is entitled to free reign of the universe.

I hate having to ask repeatedly if they can leash their dog. I also hate having to keep an ear out constantly for the sound of jingling dog tags, and being constantly on edge waiting for a confrontation. Its a full time job! I'm not alone here, right?
  • DaghainDaghain
    Keiko is still trying to figure out if she likes other dogs. She's 8 and was a puppy mill breeder, so it's a big deal that she shares a sniff with any dog at all. Currently she seems to be less bothered by the smaller dogs, but it's the big, goofy, playful dogs that freak her out. She has no idea what to think of this big dog trying to get up in her face to play. I also get the "mine's friendly" and have to remind them mine is NOT. I live in an apartment building, and two of these crazy dogs are on my floor, so I run into them a LOT. One, Cash, is always on a leash and well-behaved with "dad", but "mom" lets him go off-leash and thinks it's just hysterical that Cash wants to play. This morning I was leaving for work and Cash, who is a BIG collie, came charging down the hall at me. Luckily, I know he's friendly, and Keiko was safely in the apartment, but still. What if I was afraid of dogs? I mean, this woman has NO CLUE. Stella, the big collie on the other side of me, at least has a mom who knows her dog is a big goof and keeps her away from Keiko. Still, TRAIN YOUR DOG TO BEHAVE, LADY! Ignorant/lazy dog owners annoy me as much as ignorant/lazy parents. If you're not going to train it, DON'T HAVE IT.
  • knnwangknnwang
    I have been trying to figure out how to deal with off leash dogs where I live. There is a huge canine population hear. I’m tempted to walk around with a Mossberg straped to my back(j/k to extreme. I would be evicted, and in trouble since I'm in California.) But what really pisses me off is how then don’t pick up after their dog, and the grass area in front of their building is just littered in Poo. Some of these dog owners are just like =P~
  • RAM25RAM25
    It's so strange to read this thread. Everyone where I'm from in the UK has their dogs off lead (except around cattle and on farmland of course) and we've never come across a bad one - in fact I get rebuked by dog owners all the time for keeping my Shiba on a lead! (Apparently it's 'cruel') We do let her off leash now on the beach when it's very quiet and she loves it, never had an issue with recall yet. I read a horror story in the news recently where a pitbull dog was tied up outside a shop and a little dog (also on lead) walked past and the pitbull killed it right there in the street! I find it very strange that there are all these awful off leash dogs :/ My Shiba is very very friendly with other dogs, she's very gentle and loving (she likes to lick other dogs ears) we have had the opposite experience where by she is only nervous when leashed around other dogs, I guess because she knows she can't get away. Perhaps my dog is unusual for a Shiba. She is awfully friendly, too friendly!
    Post edited by RAM25 at 2013-07-26 17:59:43
  • knnwangknnwang
    Leash law is the norm in the United States. Don’t get me wrong, most off leash dogs I’ve ran into has been super sweet. But it just takes that one bad apple to ruin it for everyone. I don’t blame the dogs; I believe it’s the owners fault.
  • zandramezandrame
    @RAM25, it's great that your girl gets along with all dogs! But the problem is the unpredictability of the OTHER dogs, not necessarily your own. It's the same with dog parks, it only takes one bad encounter to change your opinion on leash laws.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Ok...so before I go off, I will say that I don't have a problem with responsible dog owners who walk their dogs off leash. As long as they have complete control of their dog, I have no issues.

I live out in the country, and it seems it gives people a license to be ignorant. I see way too many dogs walking along the road and in the ditches, completely unsupervised. I have had run ins with unruly off leash dogs while walking Kobe(always on leash). The owners seem dumbfounded when I take issue to their dogs being off leash and under no control. I had one run in where I actually had to pick Kobe up as the two dogs jumped up on me trying to get to him, while the owner, probably 50 yards up the road, walked nonchalantly without concern!

So my problem isn't really with these dogs...it's with the stupid owners who have no regard for the safety of others, much less their own dogs. Another good example are those car chasing dogs. They come bolting toward the road as you approach, and scare the hell out of you. Again, very irresponsible owners. It's only a matter of time before somebody gets spooked enough and puts their car in the ditch.

I must mention Sultan. He was our closest neighbors dog. Sultan, in only the past month, developed a fascination with escaping their fenced yard. Don't know if he was jumping it or climbing. Either way, he would get out and roam free. The first time I noticed this was last Saturday night. His owners were out in front of our house. We were just talking, and it was getting dark. I had Kobe on his leash. Out of the darkness came Sultan, across the field that separates our homes. He went straight for Kobe and took a bite at his back. Kobe yelped a bit, but thankfully no harm done. They got control of Sultan, and all was good. Yes, he and Kobe had never gotten along. Kobe was ok, no injuries, except maybe to his ego.

Today, sadly, Sultan again got free, off leash, and ran out onto the road and was struck by a car. He was later put down at the vet. I can only imagine the pain and fear that poor dog suffered. I can also imagine the guilt and sorrow the people who hit him are probably still experiencing. It wasn't their fault that this dog jumped fence and ran out onto the road.

So in summary, I would say that the real culprits in these sort of events are the dog owners. I can't blame Sultan for attacking Kobe. I knew they didn't get along. And I dont even blame rowdy off leash dogs who are out wandering the streets. Unless they are feral, they have owners who are instigating these sort of scenarios.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

RIP Sultan!!
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    OMG....sorry for the triple post!!! Don't know why that happened....well, my Internet service out here sucks!! My apologies!!
  • RAM25RAM25
    What I meant with my other comment (which was written incredibly badly, sorry!) was that we've experienced more aggression from dogs on lead than off and I've been told by a few owners that their dogs get aggressive on lead and are perfectly fine with other dogs off lead! Which seems very strange. Just thought it was an interesting theory, although not one I particularly think is true - maybe an excuse? I'd be so scared to meet an aggressive off lead dog. There is a lovely walk I don't do anymore because a big Rottweiler runs around off lead on the trail, again he has always been lovely but his owner is not and, as you said, you never know when a dog might suddenly lose it.
  • GemmaGemma
    Yea, as @RAM25 said, here in the UK it is more common seeing dogs off lead opposed to on in some places. I know someone near me who walks in the same places that I do, he has a large mastiff cross and a rottweiler. He walks them off lead nearly all the time, but the problem is, is that they're pretty reactive towards other dogs. They don't like male dogs, or dogs that bark at them. I'm lucky that they love Laika, but I still would never trust them around her, I try keep her away as much as possible. I once got talking to the owner, and he was telling me about how his dogs take a certain disliking to others, so I asked why he lets them off lead, and then asked is it just them being a little snappy in a "go away" towards other dogs, or full out attacking. He told me that they have grabbed and ganged up on many different dogs, but it doesn't worry him because "they're big enough to look after themselves". This made me a little bit sick, he was letting these reactive dogs off lead with the frame of mind that it doesn't matter because whatever fight they get into, they'll win. I'd hate to see the damage them dogs could do if they got into a proper fight with a dog half their size. Pure disregard.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Thanks @notoriousscrat!
  • SiebsSiebs
    Ugh I hate offleashers. If theres one thing my Renji hates its being charged by other dogs. He goes immediately on the defensive and will lunge for the neck. The only ok place for a dog to be offleash is in its yard or at the dogpark. I trust Renji 100% offleash at the dogpark or a farm but since I live downtown in big city its fairly stupid and irresponsible to have your dog offleash with the amount of traffic in the first place.

Theres a couple in my building with two dogs they always have offleash and the little one gets very aggressive towards Renji. Luckily the husband is very tactful and has good control over his dogs but I wish he would leash them regardless of how well behaved they are. They could easily be hit by heavy traffic on the corner of our block and I actually quite adore the larger dog, hes such a laid back sweetheart.

Theres this other lady in the neighboring building with three yappy yorkies with no formal training and zero callback that she allows to run free in the evenings when I take Renji for bikerides. I cant count the number of times ive almost run down her stupid little mutts with my bike and Renji goes ballistic since hes being flanked by 3 sets of teeth on one side and bike tires on the other. Ive literally screamed at this woman to leash her dogs or Ill let go of Renjis leash and have him teach hers a lesson. Even with three of them Renji far outweighs them and they only come to his shoulder. He'd likely tear them a new asshole.
    Post edited by Siebs at 2013-07-27 20:22:46
  • RAM25RAM25
    Actually thinking about it there is an insanely horrible extremely aggressive little yappy dog that lives in the flat opposite us, always charges at our Shiba and would bite if he got near enough (luckily I've always grabbed her out the way in time) the owners always apologise a lot and then do the alpha roll on the dog - just proves to me that those aggressive dominant techniques are not really effective and yes, just put a lead on your dog if you can't control it!
    Gemma said:

Yea, as @RAM25 said, here in the UK it is more common seeing dogs off lead opposed to on in some places. I know someone near me who walks in the same places that I do, he has a large mastiff cross and a rottweiler. He walks them off lead nearly all the time, but the problem is, is that they're pretty reactive towards other dogs. They don't like male dogs, or dogs that bark at them. I'm lucky that they love Laika, but I still would never trust them around her, I try keep her away as much as possible. I once got talking to the owner, and he was telling me about how his dogs take a certain disliking to others, so I asked why he lets them off lead, and then asked is it just them being a little snappy in a "go away" towards other dogs, or full out attacking. He told me that they have grabbed and ganged up on many different dogs, but it doesn't worry him because "they're big enough to look after themselves". This made me a little bit sick, he was letting these reactive dogs off lead with the frame of mind that it doesn't matter because whatever fight they get into, they'll win. I'd hate to see the damage them dogs could do if they got into a proper fight with a dog half their size. Pure disregard.

And Gemma, what is wrong with that guy?! What an idiot!

• Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    BUMP!

Advice needed, please:

There are loose dogs that are randomly on the streets in our neighborhood. One in particular, is a three-legged chihuahua. I don't see it ALL the time, but often enough that it's become a concern. Today, it was on the other side of our privacy fence because Kira was out in the backyard. I don't think I'm being unreasonable or overprotective, but I DO NOT want this dog that I do not know interacting with her.

There was one day that I was walking Kira out front near the house, the dog came running around the corner straight towards us so I picked Kira up and went straight home.

The dog likely lives on another street, I've never seen it with anyone on our street. What do you recommend that I do? Make an effort to knock on doors and find the owner (I really don't like the idea of confronting the weirdo that owns this dog) or just calling animal control every time I see it?
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • BootzBootz
    @Kira_Kira Is the dog acting aggro? Or you just don't want the dog near yours....
    Animal control is your best bet.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    @Bootz - No the dog isn't showing signs of aggression, I just don't want her interacting with it since I don't know anything about the dog. I just saved the Animal Control number in my phone and plan on calling whenever I see it, hopefully they will figure out who the owner is and give them a warning.
    imageimage

• I second that animal control is the way to go in this situation @Kira_Kira

Totally off topic, but I feel like posting it because this has hit a little too close to home, and I feel is important to share. I can't stop thinking about it!

I walk Nikko along this beach daily and this incident happened yesterday afternoon.

http://globalnews.ca/news/982759/investigation-to-be-conducted-into-whether-stabbed-pit-bull-suffered-unnecessarily/

The Pittbull was ON leash and the pug was not. Such a sad, sad story for everyone involved. There are so many people who don't follow on leash rules in Vancouver. This probably could of been avoided if the pug was leashed.
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    I would definitley call Animal Control since most neighborhoods have a leash law.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    That was a sad story, and that makes leash laws even more important. The benefit is being able to keep dogs within a certain distance and control them regardless of what happens.

Another dog that runs loose in the neighborhood is a pit bull, but I don't see it as often as the chihuahua. Simply put, I shouldn't have to worry about interactions and possible aggressive behaviors of loose dogs in my neighborhood when I walk my dog on a leash. There are owners that sometimes have their dogs with them unleashed, but they should be able to attain full control of their dog when others are nearby. My main concern is the safety of my dog.

Thanks for the input. Animal control will definitely hear from me if I see any dogs running the neighborhood in the future.
    imageimage

• zandramezandrame
    @Kira_Kira, does the chi have a collar? Usually what I do when I see a loose dog is to catch it. If it's wearing a collar, I contact the owners, giving them the benefit of the doubt that the dog "escaped" on its own. And then I give them an earful about securing their animals! Otherwise I call animal control and say, come pick it up. Aggressive or not, its not safe for the dog to be loose. It would probably take 2 people to catch the chi and hold Kira away from it at the same time.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    @zandrame, the chi does not have a collar. I definitely will call animal control the next time I see it. Thanks, that's a good idea if it does have a collar!

Our county's law on dogs running loose:

Does Henrico have a leash law?
    No, Henrico’s control ordinance does not require the dog to be on a leash, but it does require animals to be under the owner’s control at all times.

imageimage

Post edited by Kira_Kira at 2013-11-21 21:07:37
  • knnwangknnwang
    I live by a hospital so if my dog gets into a fight I jump in...
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    ^do you live by your vet as well??
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Hmmm, on the fight note...any suggestions on what to carry to break up a fight? I see people that carry walking sticks with them a lot.
    imageimage

• BootzBootz
    @Kira_Kira I think it is better for you to keep an eye out and PREVENT the fight then it is to try to break it up. Which is why i stress owners to train with their dogs and be able to draw their attention during intense situations.

BUTTTTTTT. That is a good question in case a fight did break out and it was out of your control. Best suggestion on what to bring to break up a fight? Another human lol. So each human can restrain one dog.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    @Bootz, I agree wholeheartedly, which is why we don't frequent dog parks.
    I've been vigilant with keeping dogs that I perceive are showing fear or aggression away from us. In doing so, Kira has developed into a great, friendly dog with a wonderful demeanor. But the one thing I can't do is walk her in our neighborhood because I am nervous about these loose dogs. I would hate for one incident to ruin all the progress that she has made.

Maybe I could carry something that made a loud noise to scare whatever dog that comes near us?
    imageimage

• This reminds me of a horrible story that happened the other day in Vancouver. The pug was offleash and approached the pit. It is a horrible ending, but brings up the issue of offleash dogs and their owners. This could have been prevented entirely if the owner had full control of his dog and was on leash.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/pit-bull-stabbed-at-kits-beach-defended-by-owner-1.2435423
  • JrothJroth
    if the bad situation of a dog fight occurs there are easy tricks to break it up while keeping yourself safe from dog bites. ideally you do not want to grab collars because it is so close to the dogs mouth that you risk being bit. the trick is grabbing the dog right where the back legs meet the body. there is a pressure point on dogs right there. so what you do is grab both sides and just pull directly back and then to the side of you and you can even throw them a little if seems necessary. the dog will be fine this will not hurt them but the pressure point will make them stop and let go if biting. you will be surprised how well this works if you have to do it. then obviously you will need to grab the other dog so as not to have it just start all over again. additionally i totally understand how some of you feel about loose dogs. the safety of my dog is definetly of great importance to me as well. however remaining calm in these situations is crucial. freaking out in reaction is just going to make your shiba nervous and in protection mode. i find that just stepping forward making yourself appear large and loud (not screaming thought must remain calm) will usually stop any dog from even approaching. i urge people to not be so quick in calling animal control. there are already way to many dogs in shelters and any dog brought in with reports of aggression has an assessment period and very commonly will be put down. once a dog is brought in and put in a kennel missing its family and no attention and tight space very commonly a good dog will freak out leading to an unfair assessment and the killing of many great dogs. please think about your actions when sending another persons dog away i know if some one called animal control on my dog i would be very angry and don't want to think about how i would react.
  • Kiba0713Kiba0713
    Last night I saw a dog off-leash running around in front of my house.. This is a suburban neighborhood with lots of dogs but they're always supposed to be leashed. I live across from a public playground that has a no dogs allowed sign, but once and a while I see someone letting their dogs run loose inside- even with little kids playing nearby.

Last night I was leaving home and a dog ran out behind my car, I could have hit it easily as I was backing out. I think it was chasing a cat. I saw a man standing in the park (which is supposed to be closed and locked after dark), who might have been the owner.

I dont know what kind of moron lets their dog run around in the dark through a street with no leash on. I pulled over and called the house to tell my mom not to walk outside and let her know what I saw so she could check it out, because the dog was running through our front yard or the one next to ours, I dont know, it was dark and it darted by, but I didnt see a leash on him.

edit: It was a large dog, and during the time I walked to my car to the time I pulled over and called my mom, I never heard or saw any sign of this guy calling the dog or move from where he was standing, so it didn't seem like he lost grip on a leash etc. or was trying to retrieve the dog.
    Post edited by Kiba0713 at 2013-11-22 12:17:08
  • RikkaRikka
    So, there's this park nearby where I live that I avoid now because there are dogs that are off-leash when they're not supposed to be (there's even a park sign that says NO OFF-LEASH DOGS)... I was an idiot and did a loop around the park since it was late enough in the afternoon and didn't see anyone--thought that a quick jog around it would suffice and no one would show up.

Nope. Out of no where, there was some kind of Shih-Tzu and he happily pranced towards Sagan. He was small enough to not warrant any kind of trouble, but Sagan and I stopped in our path, and stared at him. I was tempted to pick up Sagan and "shoo" the other dog away (as I normally do with small off-leash dogs in my neighborhood), but decided not to, since he wasn't threatening. The other dog sniffed Sagan, glanced away, then decided to pee on him. Literally, lifted his leg up in Sagan's direction and pissed. Sagan and I moved a couple inches away and still continued staring at this dog... it eventually ran off.

Anyways, needless to say, off-leash dogs (when they're not supposed to be) are the bane of my existence. I'm actually an asshole about it if the owners are around and their dog is being agitating. If their dog ignores us, I'll still keep my distance, but watch like a hawk.
    Lauren, living with a 2 y/o Shiba named after a scientist.
  • JrothJroth
    @rikka i totally understand what your saying my shiba is only 14lbs and was just recently bit (by another shiba) and it made a hole in his neck ( he's healing fine) so i totally understand being nervous around off leash dogs. clearly this can happen as it did to me. the way you describe your reaction to other off leash dogs and your predisposition for hating the situation is not a good way to act imo because it teaches your dog to go into that same state. even if you never want your dog in the situation i believe it is good to teach dogs to behave in all situations. after my dog was bit he started going for the other dog i stepped in calmly put him into sit position and grabbed the other since it would listen to me( i had never met) the calmer and more in charge you can be the better. being scared makes your dog think it needs to protect you or be scared as well both of which can lead to aggression. I'm not trying to tell you what to do or that your doing something bad just the imo every experience can be a learning experience for your dog and teach your dog to be a better dog. hope you don't take this as me being rude or criticizing you to much. just trying to help.
  • JrothJroth
    ps your dog looks super cute
  • RikkaRikka
    Um, what are you talking about? My reaction to the dog attempting to piss on Sagan was staring at it. I didn't display any sort of behavior. I never stated I was "scared" or "nervous". If you're referring to me being an asshole, it's towards the owners who don't care about their off-leash dog running around, not the actual dog itself. Sagan has never been attacked by an off-leash dog, and I'm always proactive about it if anything were to happen.
    Lauren, living with a 2 y/o Shiba named after a scientist.
    Post edited by Rikka at 2013-11-22 13:19:04
  • JrothJroth
    sorry if i made an assumption i guess i based it off of the bane of my existence part.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @Jroth - Most Shiba owners will describe off leash dogs as the bane of their existence. It is not because we are afraid of the dogs, it is because we have reactive dogs that would likely eat the other dog's face off if given the chance. We selectively take our dogs to areas where off leash dogs are not allowed in order to socialize them, give them exercise and mental stimulation, and allow them to live a happy healthy life. When an off leash dog arrives in a place or situation where we are not expecting it, it ruins our walks. We have to be incredibly vigilant and usually end up cutting our excursion short.

I know if I see an off leash dog that is unattended, I will also stop walking and watch the dog. My dogs also stop walking and will either sniff around or watch the dog with me. They are not nervous, scared, or even reactive at this point. They know that I am looking out for them and that if the dog gets too close or turns in our direction that I will address the situation appropriately.

When your pup gets older, you will understand.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion