For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Probiotics/digestive enzymes
  • kwyldkwyld
    For those of you who use probiotics in your dog's food, which companies do you like to purchase from and what kind do you use? I have purchased a diary based liquid formula from a health food store before. But there are powder formulas available too right? Does anyone just use plain yogurt instead?
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
  • BradA1878BradA1878
  • redcattooredcattoo
    I have a question about pro-biotics. As many are aware I have been having off and on soft poo issues with Bear. Recently we slowly switched his diet from Wellness Core Ocean to a lower protein (25%) TOTW (lamb), we also on the suggestion of our vet did a 3 day panacur and a 7 day metro... (sorry can't remember the whole name), during this time we also had samples of Ark's Natural Gentle Digest from my pet food supplier that we used. It seemed something in this mix was working as his poo was firming up a bit.

After our samples of Ark's Natural Gentle Digest ran out, we didn't give any pro-biotic to Bear on Wednesday. On Thursday we noticed his poo seemed to be softer again. Would coming off the pro-biotic have that quick of an effect?

I plan now to purchase some Ark's Natural Gentle Digest and see if putting him back on it changes his poo to determine if that is one of the keys. If being put back on Ark's Natural Gentle Digest does make a difference ... is there any risk of using it as a daily supplement?

Also if this does help, is it only fixing a symptom, and if so what could be the underlying cause that we really should be looking at when discussing the situation with the vet?
  • aykayk
    That's also my question about probiotics. I'm also in a similar position though I know for sure that I am fighting giardia in my yard and am re-starting another round of Panacur.

I would do pumpkin/probiotics and sometimes I would get in one large dump half 'okay' poop and the later half 'bad' poop.

Sometimes the mushy poop might be the start of EPI, but I had a dog tested and she was negative.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    @ayk, so far his stool samples are negative, which is why I am going to try putting him back on Ark's Natural Gentle Digest to see what effect it has. If that doesn't refirm his stool than I will have to wonder if the panacur or metro... was helping. I am not yet convinced it is diet as we have kept the diet and treats pretty consistent these past 2 weeks, and we did get almost a week of consistent good poos, the only thing changing recently was ending the medicine and the pro-biotic.

I am interested if one day off the pro-biotic would have had that quick of an effect on his poo. Also if there is risk using it as a daily supplement and if the pro-biotic seems to work if it is only masking an issue and that there could be underlying medical concerns I should look at.
    Post edited by redcattoo at 2012-12-07 15:57:39
  • redcattooredcattoo
    Since I am out of the probiotic and it won't be delivered until mid-Sunday I used plain greek yogurt mixed with his food yesterday. This mornings poo has improved slightly over the prior day making me hope there is resolution from a probiotic.

Will have to talk to the vet if the poo-probiotic link becomes more conclusive in my mind. I still wonder what the long term issues (if any) of a daily probiotic could be and if there is an underlying medical concern that could be resolved to reduce the need for a daily probiotic.
  • tatonkatatonka
    Post edited by tatonka at 2012-12-08 11:22:24
  • MoishewMoishew
  • SayaSaya
  • B-naturals. Great products.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)