For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Bathing Questions
  • I always see videos of dogs being bathed and they always seem to be shaking. I assume its because they are using cold water. Is warmer water bad for them?
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-05-29 03:05:12
  • SayaSaya
    Some dogs hate baths especially shiba inu though some like them I haven't bathed Saya yet so I'm not sure how she'll act, but luckily she's been a really clean shiba inu so far so I hope she stays that way and not roll in yucky stuff like her boxer sister Bella. lol

So maybe the dogs are shaking due to stress, scared of the water, or it could be cold I always bathed my dogs in water that's not too hot or too cold just right. I dunno really what's the best temp for bathing, but I don't think cold water would be good.
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
    Post edited by Saya at 2009-11-05 17:53:17
  • I always use luke warm water. Most dogs shake in the tub out of stress or nervousness. The only time I bathed a dog in cold water was back in CA with the outdoor hose and it was 100 degrees outside and our BIG dog needed baths because he was stinky.
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    I don't like to bathe/shower with cold water, so I make the assumption that the Queen doesn't like to either. Some dogs shake and some just stand there. I personally recommend using a handheld sprayer and not a tub full of water. Jazz gets a bath about 4 times a year and does pretty well, IMHO.
    LJ - owned by Queen Jazz, a Shiba Inu, Atlanta, GA
    CSC_0144
  • RyuRyu
    Our dogs get bathed in warm water, for the same reason that LJ gave. Would you like getting cold showers? :)

We started using the handheld sprayer in the past year and I will never go back to a bathtub and bucket.
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    Here's a bath video from a couple months ago of Jazz:

CSC_0144
  • CaliaCalia
    Definitely bathe in Luke warm or room temperature water, they don't always appreciate getting bathed so we might as well make it as comfortable as possible.

I remember bathing the boys outside with the garden hose, and our tap water can get pretty cold. Well, while rinsing off Tikaani, I squirted between his back legs and he made the most high pitched yelp/scream that I've ever heard come from his lips. Needless to say, I'm more careful now with water temperature and sensitive body parts
  • MyloMylo
    BAHAHAHAHAHHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH LJ I love the video! Very cute. Great choice of music, too!

I wish Mylo liked baths as much as Jazz, but alas, he does not. He does shake a lot when I bathe him (I use warm, not hot, water), and he even peed in the tub when he was at the groomer's once.
  • We use warm water too. Unfortunately they both HATE getting baths. Kaya doesn't do too bad, but Kuma acts like we are trying to kill him ;)
  • I use warm water for T. He is very good in the bath, luckily.
  • ljowen, jazz is a very special dog! Mine is the epitomy of shiba when it comes to bathtime, screaming and scratching me, ugh it's horrible. I wish he'd sit still like yours!
    In repsonse to the original question, I've tried everything. Warm, lukewarm, chilly, he hates it all! He won't even drink the water at the dog park. My shiba just hates water, except from his drinking bowl at home.
    OP, warm water is not bad for them. Like people, dogs tend to have a preference of their water temp.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    I bathe mine frequently. I use warm/hottish water for coat blowing as it helps to loosen the dead hairs, and coupled with a degreasing wash, the warmer water gets rid of dirt and oil faster than cool. I do cool/lukewarm baths the rest of the time because I don't want them to drop a bunch of coat. They don't tremble or protest at this point as they are used to it."Common sense isn't so common"
  • You know what's kinda funny, Kaya loves her doggie pool with the freezing cold water. LOVES it. But she hates bath time :)
  • Do you guys blow dry your pups after or just towel dry
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    I use the towel on Jazz.
    CSC_0144
  • I just use a towel dry for the pups, however my mom does blow dry her shih tzu, but she has a blow dryer with a cool setting so there is no heat involved.
  • amesylphamesylph
    Ki freaks out if the industrial dog blow dry is attempted. He can handle a regular people hair dryer when necessary, but I prefer to towel dry him since his coat doesn't hold too much water anyway.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    You can buy a forced air blower. Its safer than a heated hair dryer. I use a Metro forced air dryer.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • no heat is okay.
  • I usually use a towel for T but sometimes if he's really wet (especially if it's cold outside) I use the hair dryer a safe distance away from him. He doesn't mind at all, just stands still.
  • I ended up just towel drying him and he was fine. The shower was a success with very little crying. It didn't stop his constant scratching though =/
  • nuwdenuwde
    I heard that if you bathe a shiba, you shouldn't use shampoo/soap because it's hard to clean out 100% due to the double coat. It can begin to cause "hot spots." Any of you experience this?
  • hmmm. I never heard of that. Not too sure
  • Never experienced anything of the sort, nor have I ever heard that.
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    I hadn't heard that either - we use Johnson's Baby Shampoo, btw.
    CSC_0144
  • I've heard that if you don't wash the shampoo out it could dry out there skin. But you just have to make sure to give them a good rinse. Also since shibas are pretty clean to begin with they don't need alot of baths. Maybe a few a year. If Katsu gets dirty we usually just wipe her down and brush her. If it's really bad we'll just rinse her with water no shampoo. If it's really really bad we break out the shampoo.
  • Sage is just naturally the best smelling dog I have ever met. Ever. Not just because I am in love with him, either. I invite anyone who meets him to sniff his mane and tell me otherwise. :) He doesnt get a lot of baths, but if he rolls in somethng awful I suds him up good with Earthbath Mango Tango shampoo. Then he smells pleasantly mangolicious till he resumes his natural pleasant scent. HIs coat is super thick and I drench him good several times to get it all out, putting the shower head right close to him, moving from high ground to low. I have read for ANY dog to "rinse well and then when you think youve got it all out, rinse em again."
  • CaliaCalia
    I think the hardest thing is to get the water to stay in long enough for the soap to actually work, it's pretty easy to get out. I've bathed both my guys a few times and rinsed them off with out issue. Just so long as their coat squeaks, I know that the soap is out

EDIT: Mmmmmm...mangolicious
    Post edited by Calia at 2009-11-24 00:29:46
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    I believe Andrew mentions the soap thing and hotspots in his book. I haven't found that to be true if well rinsed.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • Tikaani is a clean machine...nice coat on that boy!
  • nuwdenuwde
    Thanks for the clarification. Will remember to rinse over and over if/when we decide to bathe her with shampoo :)
  • CaliaCalia
    One thing also, if you don't rinse all the soap out it can make your pup look as if it has dandruff. When the soap dries, it turns into white flakes in the fur.

What's great about these double coats is that you don't have to bathe them nearly as much as you would think. Both my guys have rolled in dirt and mud, and it just falls right off. It's funny hearing people wince when Tikaani lays (and even sometimes digs) in a muddy puddle at the dog park. He turns a nice shade of chocolate and onlookers comment that he's going to need a bath when he gets home. I'm just like "eh, no biggie" and these people just give me weird looks. When we leave though, he is as white as when he stepped in...Beautiful:)
  • Uki Hates bathtime! I have to fill the tub with luke warm water... too hot and he'll start panting so I learned to pay attention to that. He gets very nervous if the water is running so I have to use a big cup hehehe... when he was a yr he would start to cry in the bath and then he started "screaming" as I call it. Im sure you all have experienced the DRAMATIC high pitch scream like noise shiba's make... ear peircing! lol! but he thankfully is over that, whew bathrooms echo it louder lol!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)