For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Halloween & Trick or Treaters...
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    Each week, I am hoping to start a discussion to help new & seasoned owners with something current. I fully believe that the forum's purpose is to help educate. With this in mind, here's my question:

What do you plan to do with your pup on halloween with trick or treaters at the door?

While I don't expect to get many trick or treaters at the new house, Jazz and I will be in costume on the porch sitting in my adirondack chair. This eliminates doorbell ringing and making sure Jazz has run to her crate. It also eliminates there being a chance of her getting loose.
    LJ - owned by Queen Jazz, a Shiba Inu, Atlanta, GA
    CSC_0144
  • xremiixremii
    Hehe, you should dressed up as a scarecrow and not move until people approach your doorstep XD XD Someone did that to me as a kid and scared the crap outta me.
  • We don't plan on getting many trick or treaters either. But Miso and Sake will be in their Howl-o-ween t-shirts just in case! Usually one of us holds the dogs while the other opens the door for the kids. Miso and Sake are both trained not to door bolt and they do really well at it.
  • SayaSaya
    We live in the country sorta so we don't get any trick or treaters I miss giving out candy. lol

There's a couple kids in the neighborhood so we might get a couple so we always have a bag of candy just in case also no costumes for the pups just yet they wear their halloween bandanna for the whole week which they don't seem to mind.
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • Since I still have little ones around the house we will be out in the neigborhood going door to door. We took Honey with us last year and she did SUPER!!! I THINK we are gonna try again with Squirt in tow as well. We'll see.
  • Ours is a small neighborhood so trick or treaters come in about 3 waves and then we are done. Last year I babygated the front door hall off, and anticipated the little goblins so they dont ring the doorbell. I also bring the candy onto the front porch to them so nobody comes IN the house. My dogs can look at the kids if they want, but I think masks over the face and noise are just not appropriate for my dogs to have to deal with. Reilly is serious about home intrusion, so it's best to put her in a clear Off Duty setting away from the action. Sage loves children and will know their voices and get waggy, but I dont want to risk anyone scaring him so he'll hang with Reilly. Our black cat is staying indoors as always.
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    On the years that the kids are at my place, Jazz goes trick or treating with the kids. On the years when they are at their mom's we do the candy thing outside & on leash.
    LJ - owned by Queen Jazz, a Shiba Inu, Atlanta, GA
    CSC_0144
  • We have our kitchen/dining room gated off so they'll be in there. They go crazy when the door bell rings though, and Kaya uses her "guard dog" bark ;) I'm thinking about getting Kaya a tutu and Kuma some bat wings or something so they can be in costume, but I'm thinking they might just eat them, lol.
  • CaliaCalia
    I've found Halloween to be a great opportunity (if done right) for a puppy to get more acquainted with screaming, annoying, running children dressed up in weird outfits. Last year I took my boys for a walk down a busy trick or treating neighborhood while the sun was still out and spent the day rewarding them every time they didn't react negatively to the weirdness (and kept walking in the opposite direction every time they did react). Knowing their boundaries and how much they can handle, I made it so this walk was safe for both pups and kids.

I'll be doing the same for this year as well
  • starrystarry
    I have a dog gate that is a permanent structure in the hallway to the front door (I don't trust people w/my dog)
    but good tip about acquainting to the screaming and doorbell, I was just gonna leave toki in his room but I think I'll let him hang out and watch me pass out candy.
  • sunyatasunyata
    Unfortunately, Halloween is an incredibly stressful holiday for my dogs. Bella does not do well with doorbells/knocking and excited kids really freak Nola out...

And this year, I am going out of town for a party... So the pups will be enjoying a stay with Grandma!!! Bella will get to hang out on the front porch (harnessed and leashed) to watch the kids go by and help hand out candy. She really enjoys all the attention as long as the kids are calm when they come up to her. (My mom is VERY well versed in how to allow people to approach her.) Nola, however, will hang out inside watching scary movies with my sister after she gets back from trick-o-treating with my nephew and getting lots and lots of belly rubs.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • santuzzasantuzza
    Tosca doesn't like children until they hit 10 or 11 years old, so Halloween has been a topic of conversation at our house. Tosca isn't bothered by the doorbell ringing so, if we get any trick-or-treaters at all, I'll just pick her up and take her into another room. We may get one or two, but there really aren't that many children around here.
  • I was wondering what forum members are doing regarding children coming to the door for Halloween treats especially those folks that live in apartments. We live in a condo building and Quake knows most of the children that will be coming to our door. I will not be dressing him in a costume. I am going to keep the leash on him because he might want to go out into the hall and play with the children since he loves children so much.
  • That sounds about like what we're going to do for Halloween... Leave the leash on and hope to get to the door before Nymeria does.
  • I plan to put a sign on my door that says "neighbor has extra candy for you. Make sure he gives you double. No candy here"

The neighbor threw a party the night of the Mayweather fight that was so loud I took banjo to a hotel. The next day we talked he apologized profusely and told me he owes me a favor. I told him this is the favor.

• BootzBootz
    @BanjoTheBetaDog

LOLOL!! Wow so easy.

I'll have treats at the door for the kids and for my dogs. Good time to reinforce "stay". They are not door bolters but I've been training them to stay at the top of the stairs instead of running down to get to the front door.
  • I was gonna make one that says "dog eats children, do not knock" but it just seemed mean.

• @BanjoTheBetaDog-that's hilarious!! Kids would then run away from Banjo when they see him!!
  • ObizaObiza
    I thought this would be a good post to bring back now that Halloween is getting closer. My husband is leaving over the holiday and leaving us to fend for ourselves! :(( Neither Rusty nor I are a huge fan of children, let alone loud grabby sugar fueled ones. He's usually pretty quiet but I'm expecting barking at each door knock if he's alone inside. But if he's outside with me I'm worried about those that bring their dog with since he has such a strong fear of other dogs. I'm thinking of making a makeshift dog gate for the porch so he can see people approach and be with me, but no one else can access him. If I wasn't worried about being that house next to the school that doesn't hand out candy we'd be hiding out at one of the nearby state parks! :)
  • @Obiza-Maybe you could leave a container full of candies on your porch with a sign "Help Yourselves". Then you don't have to answer the door. I live in a condo building and I will be putting a container filled with candies outside my door. The first Halloween I had Quakey; I answered the door but he became very anxious with the door knock followed by the trick or treaters yelling "Trick or Treat". That is why last Halloween I just left a container of candies and I did not answer the door. I will also be leaving work early on Halloween so I can walk Quakey while there is still light in the afternoon. His last walk before we go to sleep will be behind our condo building since it will already be dark by that time. . All of this will be done to avoid other dogs and super crazy acting kids. He loves kids but I do not want him to be surrounded by crazy sugar fueled stranger kids.
  • rubyruby
    We get over 80 each year and it goes on for hours. Even when you shut off your light they keep coming. We have set up 2 gates since you can get to the front door 2 ways. Ruby loves the children but it is very stressful for Drake. I might crate him upstairs and read a book and make my husband and Ruby answer the door.
  • spacedogsspacedogs
    This will be the first Halloween for both of our Shibas, but knowing their personalities are quite different our plan was to open the garage door and get cozy there with the doggos on their leads. There's quiet space for them if they want it, and a clear view of everyone so Laika doesn't feel like they're sneaking up on her. She doesn't bark at people when she's outside, but always barks at the door, so we think this compromise might work for her. Rhyzik doesn't bark at people through the door, but he DOES love people & I suspect he would stay indoors quietly but he would be so stressed at knowing people were there and he couldn't interact with them. We'll see how it goes, I hope it works and I hope they aren't spooked by the kids costumes!
  • what about the constant fire crackers? does that freak your puppies out in the past?
  • ObizaObiza
    Well we only got a total of 4 groups who came by the house. It was windy, dreary, drizzling and cold. By the third one he no longer barked but it was proving difficult to train him to sit and stay by the door rather than run out to go sniff everyone. Unfortunately with only 4 groups it wasn't enough time to reinforce it. Maybe next year!

@shibamilo - I've never heard people use fire crackers for Halloween. But I'm guessing Rusty will be staying inside during the 4th of July. I can't see him enjoying those noises at all. Fortunately we always visit my family and they live in the country so it should be nice and quiet for him :)
  • JuniJuni
    We didn't get any kids ringing our door bell this year. We live in Sweden and traditionally this is All Saints day when you remember any dead relatives by putting candles on their grave. A quieter kind of holiday.
    But kids and young people like to do the Halloween thing too and my boyfriend who is American was very disappointed.

Here the time when you get kids at your door asking for candy is Easter, when they dress up as Easter witches.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)