For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
  • Hello all,

I just read something about Deer Antlers for chewing. Every toy i got bingo so far doesn't even last a day when he starts to chew on it. Does anyone still give their shiba deer antlers to chew on? is it safe? and how long does it usually last? where can i get them? thank you all.
  • We love deer antlers in our house. We have had the same antlers for about four months! They do become sharp sometimes and I do file them down so as to not hurt the pups, or my feet! But they are great for chewing.

We get them from here:
    http://www.deerantlersforpups.com/
  • Great! do you get the large one or Medium one? Bingo is going to be 7 months in November.
  • I'd start with a medium and see how he does. If that one is good you can move up to the large for your next order.
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    We use elk antlers and Jazz loves them! They seem to last forever.
    LJ - owned by Queen Jazz, a Shiba Inu, Atlanta, GA
    CSC_0144
  • sunyatasunyata
    I have a question...

Suppose I ran upon a pair of shed antlers in my trek through the woods...
    What would I need to do in order to prepare them for my girls' chewing pleasure?

Any ideas?
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • I would assume just a good cleaning with antibacterial soap and water would be fine. Or maybe just pour some boiling water over them and rinse them off really well?!?
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    I know there are competitions for dogs to find shed antlers - maybe I can track some down and find out if they give any to their dogs.

When I buy mine, they have usually been split open and rough edges sanded.
    LJ - owned by Queen Jazz, a Shiba Inu, Atlanta, GA
    CSC_0144
  • CaliaCalia
    My neighbor is going to Colorado for some Elk hunting. I've been hinting at him bringing back some elk antlers for the boys. Tikaani goes nuts for them and has even 'stolen' an elk skull with antlers attacked from their yard. It's a precious possession and bad/dangerous of him to have taken it, but so funny watching him run around the yard with a skull in his mouth.
  • xremiixremii
    lol Beth I can so imagine him doing that :D
  • OMG Beth, that mental picture I just got made me LOL! Tikaani is so adorable, even when he is thieving things he isn't supposed to have! Can't wait to see the big ball of fluff (and you guys) again, we need to plan something!!!
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    I just got some antlerz last night, I gave one to Ike while he was waiting in a crate and he LOVED it. Those are the neatest treats, my new favorite dog thing.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • CaliaCalia
    Yeah Kristin, It'd definitely be nice to see you guys, the pups and everyone else again...Once we get into this house and put up a fence, I'm so inviting everyone over for a meet up.
  • tjbart17tjbart17
    hmmm maybe an antler would be a good rainy day treat for Koda. Oh and Beth, LMFAO, I totally pictured Tikaani running with the skull. ha ha ha
  • NekopanNekopan
    Tikaani is shaman-dog! Now all he needs are some eagle feathers and some tribal designs in his fur. :)
    Post edited by Nekopan at 2009-10-17 11:36:44
  • CaliaCalia
    LOL, tribal designs wouldn't be too hard, keeping him from eating the feathers would be the difficult part.
  • then Tikaani can come join us Brindles!
  • Question......... I just contacted a place near me and they said they dont usually give away antlers away, but since it's for my dogs they would be willing to give me some. Is there anything I need to DO to them??? lol Or are they ready to be chewed right away? lol
  • I think just a good cleaning with nice hot water should be fine Katie!
  • lol Thanks Kristin!!! I'm SUCH a city girl.....and just the thought of going to a "processing center" and picking out antlers for my pups....just seems weird! ahah
  • SayaSaya
    I was wondering on the deerantlersforpups.com it says you can sand the antlers if they get sharp what type of sand paper would be good to use I don't use sand paper a lot so I wasn't sure if there's a certain type of sand paper I should use.

Saya and Bella really loves their antlerz, bullysticks, and greatwhite chews I'm glad I got them should keep Saya busy while she recovers from her spay.
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • I just use rough sandpaper and then I make sure to wash the antler before giving it back to the pups.
  • SayaSaya
    Alright thanks a lot for the help the two pups love their deer antler dink our mix breed chewed on hers for a bit then stopped.
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • ekamin01ekamin01
    After reading the posts, I've decided to resurrect it and add some questions. Loki is 3 1/2 months now and growing and so is his demand to chew. I got him an antler to chew on. Will he be ok with it, he seems to love it and nothing phases him while he's chewing on it. I don't want him to break any teeth and he is always supervised while chewing on it. So two questions: 1) Is it safe for him at this age? 2) How long can he chew on it at one time?
  • redcattooredcattoo
    I see no reason in my experience it wouldn't be safe for him if you are supervising. I see no reason he couldn't chew on it for as long as he wants.
  • ekamin01ekamin01
    Perfect. Simple and to the point. Thank you. Any other advice or tips would be greatly appreciated
  • redcattooredcattoo
    For me, my boys like unstuffed and stuffed hooves more so than antlers. I think they like that they can get pieces off the hooves easier.

The antler my first boy liked the best was actually cut in half so the marrow was exposed. He destroyed the marrow part and still likes to gnaw on the rest of the antler. All our other antlers neither dog has been able to chew into the marrow part (yet) so they are lasting forever!

In my house though we only give the boys hooves that remain out all the time, the antlers are only crate chews because they like to play keep away with each other sometimes and we feel antlers pose a high risk of stabbing when they do this.
  • GrayJJGrayJJ
    Antlers are fantastic. Grayson is a heavy heavy chewer, destroys everything. The antlers he had been working on for months! Well worth the price.

I like the solid deer antlers. This past week, he had a marrow exposed elk antler and got an upset stomach from eating too much marrow at one time. But I don't think this happens to all dogs...
  • amtiamti
    I found an antler and boiled it before giving it to the dogs. They like to chew it but not for long since they can't seem to get anywhere bc it is so hard. Taisho is not much of a chewer, but Kaji is deadly with his chewing so I'm surprised he hasn't made too much progress other than a few dings in it. I'm wondering if boiling it made it harder. I'm tempted to ask hubby to cut it in half but now I may just ask him to cut it in two pieces but slice at an angle. My dogs also seem to enjoy hoofs more. We have two that are always out and they get a lot of use!
  • XabiXabi
    @amti I'm not sure what kind of antler you gave, but there are several options available on the market. I've noticed my shibas seem to like moose antlers more than elk, and elk more than deer. The moose ones are kind of flat and seem to be a little more brittle kind of like a hoof. I think it's best to not buy too many at once since they can be pretty expensive, and see which ones they like best.
    X & I signature smaller
  • amtiamti
    Thanks Xabi, it was deer. That's interesting to know antlers have different tastes. Moose antlers must be huge! I don't recall seeing any moose antlers for sale in the stores around here. All I see for sale around here are deer antlers since that's what roam the area.
  • glitchglitch
    Antlers are great for chewers. Kazu will chew on it once in a while but it's not his preference. He much prefers those hard Nylabone chews, not sure why. If the antler is split and the marrow is showing, he will chew on the antler more often since he gets more flavor out of it. The split ones definitely don't last as long in our household.
  • @amti - my pups have the same order of preference as the La Roja puppies. Try the vendors at a show, otherwise for small sized moose antler chews, bestbullysticks.com. If you want larger ones acadiaantlers.com has the best prices (they specialize in just moose). I got one from them at a show (in the northeast) and onsite is definitely the cheapest.
  • Has anyone had trouble with their dog's teeth with antlers? They are pretty hard, and my husband said on a forum he's on, several people mentioned their dogs breaking teeth on antlers.
  • sunyatasunyata
    My pups have free access to antlers... And no tooth damage here.

Unless you count Nola's tooth last spring... But that was unrelated to the antlers. Her carnassial tooth actually exploded. :-/
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • AWE46M3AWE46M3
    We used to give them to our dog but stopped in the event we wanted to do some agility with him - not sure if they are on a banned substance list for dogs... ;)

Actually, we stopped just because it took so long for our dog to finish them! We gave it to our dog twice and I think both times it lasted like 2 months whereas a comparably sized bully lasts 3-4 days.
    Post edited by AWE46M3 at 2013-04-04 23:39:30
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    Be careful with allowing your heavy-chewing dogs permanent access to antlers. Marrows are rich in protein and can cause a stomach upset. My Shikoku would chew on an antler for about 30 minutes twice daily. After about 4 days of this she started throwing up every other day. Nothing had changed in her diet. I read about antlers, marrow, and excessive protein and so I removed the antlers from her reach for a few days. Puking stopped. There was no other change in her diet or routine.

Jesse
  • Cram2689Cram2689
    Dewey is 3 months old and I gave him his first antler recently because we have been working on shed hunting and he loved it but was not strong enough to make any progress on it. so I gave it to my girlfriends dog to get it started for him lol and now he will chew on it for hours with no issues, but he has never been a dog to chew or swallow something he can't handle. and it works great for our shed hunting trauning. it will be so much easier when he can just find his own lol cause they can be expensive for a small piece. also like many people have stated just a boiling should do the trick for sterilization.
  • Bel has two broken teeth. We just discovered them. One is so bad that the pulp is entirely exposed. So I think I'll just pass on the antlers with them. It's the only really hard thing they've had in the last 6 months, and these broken teeth are new....
  • LosechLosech
    All three of my dogs have damaged teeth on antlers. One had to be extracted (over $500 to fix that) since it was completely smashed. The vet just said to watch the Sasha's teeth (both upper carnassials) very carefully and brush them every night. Conker just chipped his, it is barely noticeable. Beef ribs have also caused breaks, so I do not give any hard chews to my dogs, no matter how soft they may chew on them. (Conker does not chew very hard, so his chip really surprised me.)
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Kobe loves his antlers. He has shown no signs of any negative effects from them, and I would consider him an aggressive chewer.
    @shibamistress...sorry to hear about Bel's teeth. Ouch! I will watch for that!!
    @Cram2689, I think the shed hunting is really interesting. Please keep us posted on his progress!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
    Post edited by Kobe1468 at 2013-04-05 21:28:02
  • amtiamti
    Ugh, I did not want to hear that about the teeth damage! I have one sort of large antler and Kaji chews on it once in a while, but he only chews on the small point, nowhere else. He doesn't seem to be too interested in it and prefers the hooves over the antler. I guess I won't be splitting the antler afterall. Thanks for the info, and sorry about the teeth.
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    @Losech....sorry to hear of your dogs as well...I never heard any of this before introducing Kobe to antlers. I will keep a very close watch on him!!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • redcattooredcattoo
    My dogs too also prefer the hooves over the antlers. I think it is because neither are aggressive chewers therefore barely dent the antlers. At least with the hooves they can get pieces off and they soften a bit as they chew them.

We do give them antlers, but we don't leave them around for free chewing like the hooves. The antlers we have are old antlers from my Dad's deer hunting buddies up in Wisconsin, so maybe they don't like the antlers as much either due to the fact they are older and not fresh. Because they like the hooves so much we really haven't tried other antler options.
  • I just got ginger an antler. She picked it out herself and loves it it seems.

Post edited by SabineAstroph at 2013-06-23 18:23:07
  • He seriously LOVES his antler... All he got left is a lil nub lol
  • WolfHallWolfHall
    I can't get my shiba interested in his antler. When I first gave it to him he tried to play fetch with it. He has never chewed it. Maybe it's too hard?
  • redcattooredcattoo
    @WolfHall, is it cut in half to expose the marrow? If not you may want to take a bone saw and saw it in half to expose the marrow which is softer and usually very interesting to them.
  • WolfHallWolfHall
    No, it's not cut in half. But...a bone saw? Sounds like something from a horror movie! (and I'm a vegetarian..). I'll see what I can do. It wasn't cheap and it's just sitting in the backyard being wasted.
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    Resurrecting old thread for some advice on Antlers--- I got a nice deer one for my pup and he loves it. Problem is, I noticed what looks like mold growing in the marrow at one end. I am pretty sure this is my fault as I would rinse it off after a chew session, but I would also pat it dry and leave it out to dry. The last couple of days since we got it has been off-and-on muggy, but nothing too bad.

I need to save the antler for him so he can continue to chew. Any ideas? Tomorrow is sunny so gonna put it outside to soak up the rays. Hubby tried to chisel as much out as he could from the infected end. I saw several people mention boiling a found antler in hot water---would this work for ours?

I always wash his toys so didn't think anything of it from the antler (stupid newbie mistake) and it is still so new. Hubby won't be getting a new one for him anytime soon, so we have to fix this one. And no, we don't have a saw to cut it off with right now :(
  • KiichigoKiichigo
    I guess for the future you can try putting the antler in a bag in the freezer. i do this with bully sticks after a good chew session. I don't know if it will provide the same results with an antler or not, but it should slow down mold growth

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)