For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Suggestions for boy shiba names?
  • We're thinking of some male shiba names, but are kind of stuck. We're looking for something original.

I like
    Daisuke
    Ototo
    Koshou
    kintaro

Would having two dogs with the same sound at the beggining of their name be to confusing for them?
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-10-06 04:48:20
  • McYogiMcYogi
    Do you know the meanings to them all? I like Ototo personally, it's very unique.

• lindsaytlindsayt
    I like Daisuke. That would be a name I would use. Could be Dai or Suke for short."Common sense isn't so common"
  • Ototo means little brother
    Koshou mean pepper
    kintaro mean golden boy
    Daisuke means great help.
  • two of them are too often used as people names so I wouldn't use them, personally..it'd be strange to call my dog the same name as people i know, lol. but i like koshou. ;)
  • Daisuke would have to be a red sox fan :P

I like Koshou the best.
  • You don't think Koshou and Katsu are too close.

Daisuke wouldn't have to be a Redsox fan. He'd have to be a Japanese national team at the World Baseball Classic fan.
  • Koshou and Katsu are sort of close..

I like Ototo! How fun.
  • xremiixremii
    I sometimes think it really doesn't matter if the names are too close.. since my dogs recongizes each other's name. Jada thinks "Pong Pong" equals food so she comes running when I call for Pongy. I like Ototo because it sounds so close to Totoro :)
  • Well, our dogs' names are Lantis, Luna, and Lilith. They never get confused, lol. So I agree with Jenny.. in a different sort of way.
  • "Jada thinks "pong pong" equals food..."

Oh Jada, you are a silly shiba!
  • OT - since we're not writing in "correct" romanization, I have to ask.. Jenny, is Pong Pong your Shiba named "Fatty"?! lol!
  • xremiixremii
    hehe yes. There was a dolphin at an amusement park in Taiwan called Pong Pong and I was like "Perfect!"
  • Think of it like "Tetsu and Tikaani" it just GOES... :)

so think: "Katsu and...Kintaro" :)
    Katsu and Koshou :? can't decide if its beautifully poetic to humans outwiehgs possible confusion to dogs
    Katsu and Ototo :)
    Katsu and Daisuke :(

(since you know japanese words- can you tell me the word for pinecone?)
  • CaliaCalia
    My mother's and sister's dogs all have similar sounding names (Teddy, Petey, Femi) and there has been no confusion between the dogs when calling for one of them. And then, my guys, Teddy and a friends dog (Terry) all start with a similar sound, 'te' and 'ti' ('ti' is pronounced like you would in 'tick'), and there hasn't been any confusion when calling for one dog with all present.
  • NekopanNekopan
    Of those names, I like Kintaro the best. Don't worry about your dogs getting confused, they're pretty smart. For example, Jack knows "lay down" means, well, lay down. Yet "down" means "get off the furniture". So similar, yet he doesn't get them confused.

Chrystal - the Japanese word for pinecone is "matsukasa".
  • oo- Thank you!
  • How about "Kaicho" :)?

Although, if I were you I'd be looking for the Japanese word for bean. So you'd own "Pork n Beans"...mmmmmm...okay I'm going to lunch.

Jesse
  • Haha Jesse, unfortunately that would be "mame".. and on this board, nobody seems to like that connotation much. That's hilarious though.. pork cutlets and beans..
  • I vote Mame! Screw the connotation. Pork n Beans is AWESOME!
  • CaliaCalia
    And imagine if Mame grows to be an oversize shiba, how ironic would that be.
    Post edited by Calia at 2009-09-14 19:02:01
  • What about Adzuki?
    Then it will be pork and bean! and not mame
  • What about DAIZU? it means "big" bean.. aka soybean.. or SHOUZU.. which means 'small' bean (mainly azuki).
  • Joe, the dog needs to be a bean dammit
  • KenshiKenshi
    The way I roll, I'd go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_samurai and pick a first name (which comes second, remember) that rolled off the tongue good, and/or was somebody who sounded neat. Then I'd experiment with it to see what it sounds like when you call it in a rising tone for recall, or use a lot of low tones for warning / correction. Then I'd run it by people who aren't familiar with Japanese crap and see if they can handle it.

I guess you could also hit like, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_dishes or just anything in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Japan-related_lists and pick out anything that sounds good and has a meaning that strikes your fancy. I like naming dogs after legendary warriors myself, but we've definately got a lot of food-themed names around here.

My dog Tomoe is coming on thursday...she's named after an alleged female samurai who has been reified into like a patron goddess of the naginata. When we're calling her we can say "tomoe!" in a rising tone and when we're warning or scolding her we can say "TOMO." People have a tough time with the double-vowel but I think they'll pick it up, or they can just call her Tomo.
  • This is who Himiko is named after,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himiko_(queen)
  • it's still kinda odd to me to hear people names used for dogs.. I personally can't name my dog Lancelot or even Obama.. LOL
  • LOL you guys are a riot! HAHAH I LOVE the pork and Beans idea!!!!

I've got to say...I think I missed the update about you guys getting a second dog. CONGRATS!

And as far as dogs getting confused.... Our dogs are "honey" and "squirt". Honey knows her name....But EVERY TIME we call Honey...Squirts comes HAULING around the corner. I think he figures that's his name too! hahah SIlly doggy!
  • Jing, I also had a cat named Charles Bronson and a chinchilla named Yaphet Koto.
  • KenshiKenshi
    Yuki, giving dogs people names is pretty common in American dogdom though. I wouldn't bat an eyelash if somebody introduced their dog to me as Benji, Besty, Jake, Jack, Ruby, Buddy, Bruce, etc.
  • I think giving dogs people names is just another small and symbolic way of Americans anthropomorphizing the dogs as a child or living thing dependent of their care. It does beg the question though. If the Japanese see it weird to give their dogs people names, what is the normal convention for them to name their dogs? I know of one Japanese woman who thinks its very odd to name our dogs after food (i.e. Miso, Mochi, etc.) Do the Japanese use names like ones people often bestowed upon show dogs like, "Thorn of My Mother-in-Law's Backside" or "Maiden's Tear of the Morning"?

Jesse
  • I am so late. You're getting another Shiba? Congratulations. How do you think our little Queen Katsu is going to take sharing the spotlight?
  • haha, I don't know, growing up, a dog we had was called, "Shiro".. because it was white. Then there's "Kuro".. because it's black. Our pet turtle my parents named.. turtle.. perhaps we just aren't original??? Thinking about it now... my parents always did laugh when we talked about pets' names.. one dog was even called "Mr. Dog" more or less in Japanese... :T

The dogs I knew had names similar, or names like Goma.. usually something commenting on physical appearance.. lol

I don't know who Charles Bronson nor Yaphet Koto is though.. I assume celebrities? At the height of the Restoration, when people first started bringing dogs into the house and treating them like housepets (because it was a western trend), there were all sorts of Western names given to the dogs too.. like Jack or Pierre. I always thought that was funny whenever I read it in historic books.. i think it's just me, apparently!
    Post edited by yukidomari at 2009-09-14 23:26:58
  • okironokiron
    Jesse I wouldn't generalize and say Japanese people see it weird to give their dogs people names. Every dog I've ever known in Japan had a "people name". Shit my dog was named after my great grandpa.
  • Sorry for painting the generalization brush. I thought it might've be a cultural thing (maybe regional?) to not give people names to dogs.

Jesse
  • Thanks for all the help so far. But let's not be hasty. We haven't actually decided 100% about getting the second dog.
  • xremiixremii
    In Taiwan, dogs aren't given 'human' names since it's like.. difficult? Basically parents have 2 characters out of the dictionary to choose (the 3rd character being your 'last' name) a baby's name so it gets pretty unique. They usually call their dogs like 'small -insert-syllable-here' or two of the same characters. They also like using American names! I'm not sure about Japan though..
  • When you listed Otouto, it made me smile. That's an awesome name for a dog. ^_^ I just love that so much!

Congratulations on having a new pup coming into your pack. That's such an exciting time!
  • do you want to keep it japanese? cause while i was thinking of my dogs names i kept thinking of good names for boy dogs...

sandwhich names....pastrami and meatball
    nerdy/childhood memory name....gizmo(from gremlins)

theres more if you want a non japanese name.
  • KenshiKenshi
    Does anybody on the forum have a dog named Gojira yet? lol
  • LOL!
  • Hmmm....Gojira. I think I'd actually do that. Even though I wanted to stay clear of what I thought were everyday japanese words like sushi or fuji.

I like takuyaki, we still have to fully decide if we're going to get the dog or not though.
  • okironokiron
    Lol I've been eating takoyaki for every meal for the past week.
  • LOL okiron, love junk food much? ;)
  • damn you! I haven't had it in years. I think I'm going to have my own machine.

I was thinking maybe

Yaki Takuyaki for the boy. I might want to kind of do it like Katsu Tonkatsu. Whatever Japanese name I pick I've resigned myself to people butchering it.

"Your dog is named Yucky Taco lucky? "
  • okironokiron
    Lol no Jing, it's more of teething and sick baby so the only thing I can eat is something that can be cooked in the microwave.

Haha I love it. Little Yaki.
  • OH microwave takoyaki..... ingenious!

Sweat and turn-free.. unlike our grill used over the stove..
  • NekopanNekopan
    I love the repeating name thing. Yaki Takoyaki would be an awesome name, and goes so well with Katsu Tonkatsu.
  • I didn't realize I was spelling it wrong. I kinda like Yaki though.

The other one I really like is Tanuki Bunbuku Chagama, after the story. If he was a red though it wouldn't make much sense.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Joe have you seen the tanuki statues?"Common sense isn't so common"
  • yeah. they're are pretty "nutty" looking. get it "nutty".

here's the story I would name him after. From wikipedia.

Bunbuku Chagama (Japanese: ??????) is a Japanese folktale about a raccoon-dog, or tanuki, that uses its shapeshifting powers to reward its rescuer for his kindness.

Bunbuku Chagama roughly translates to "happiness bubbling over like a tea pot." The story tells of a poor man who finds a tanuki caught in a trap. Feeling sorry for the animal, he sets it free. That night, the tanuki comes to the poor man's house to thank him for his kindness. The tanuki transforms itself into a chagama and tells the man to sell him for money.

The man sells the tanuki-teapot to a monk, who takes it home and, after scrubbing it harshly, sets it over the fire to boil water. Unable to stand the heat, the tanuki teapot sprouts legs and, in its half-transformed state, makes a run for it.

The tanuki returns to the poor man with another idea. The man would set up a 'roadside attraction' (a little circus-like setup) and charge admission for people to see a teapot walking a tightrope. The plan works, and each gains something good from the other--the man is no longer poor and the tanuki has a new friend and home.

In a variant of the story, the tanuki-teapot does not run and returns to its transformed state. The shocked monk decides to leave the teapot as an offering to the poor temple where he lives, choosing not to use it for making tea again. The temple eventually becomes famous for its supposed dancing teapot.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)