For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Switched to Orijen...
  • RomiRomi
    So I ordered Orijen Adult Food and Puppy Food from K9cuisine...and Portia and Ninja have been on it for about 2 weeks now. When I was making the transition with the old food and the new food, I noticed they both would just pick out the old food and only eat the new food. After 3 days of them doing that, I just gave them all new food because it was pointless to mix.

Anyway, I also got the Nature's Variety Prairie Beef Formula Canned Food. I started mixing this with their food as well. I give Portia (35lbs) 1 cup kibble + 1/4 canned and I give Ninja (15lbs) 1/3 kibble + 1/4 canned twice a day. Before Portia would only eat when we were around...and she's kind of on the thin side...so I thought the canned food would make her eat more as well as the Orijen food. Now she eats right when i put her bowl down and eats it all!

Well now the reason why I made this discussion...THE FARTS ARE KILLING ME!!! I made a comment about Portia's Farting...and some of you said it was probably the grain in her diet...so I have switched her...but now Ninja and Portia has far more smelly farts then ever!!! Is this because they are still adjusting to the new diet?? If so....how long is it going to last for?!!?! lol. And its not like its once a day....I say they fart at LEAST 3-5 times a day. Portia sleeps on our bed too so IM DYING AT NIGHT WHEN SHE SLEEPS!!! (she mostly farts when shes sleeping)

Anyways, just wanted to know if this is normal or maybe something might be wrong with them? Im taking Portia in next week to get her 3 years rabies and bordatella shot, but i don't think vet's were really educated on diets for dogs?

Sorry guys, just needed to let it out...IT SMELLS SOOOOOO BAD you don't even know!
  • crusedacruseda
  • BradA1878BradA1878
  • RomiRomi
  • BradA1878BradA1878
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
  • Mot and Piggy LOVE the fish formula.
  • RomiRomi
  • JohnJohn
  • Oh..and Romi and John - we switched both of the dogs to Great Life without gradually mixing in any of the Orijen...and they both were fart-free immediately. You could probably get a sample of it at a boutique pet store just to try it out. Just a suggestion to relieve your noses...
  • RomiRomi
    Post edited by Romi at 2008-01-04 20:11:01
  • BradA1878BradA1878
  • RomiRomi
    JUST GOT BACK FROM THE VET! Portia is only 35.3 lbs!!!! and Ninja is 16.5 lbs! Ninja gained 4 pounds in 1 month! Is that normal??? Anyways...Portia got all her shots and is good to go! Ninja has Ear Mites (grossssss!) so I got ear drops and have a check up in 10-14 days to make sure they are gone. I am definately getting Frontline or K9 Advantix this weekend!

On a sad note...

Ninja is starting to worry me. While we were at the vet..it was his turn to get on the table and get checked out. When the vet approached him he started growling. I had to pick him up and put him on the table. The vet was checking everything and all of a sudden his went into a spaz and started yelping like he just got hit by a car or something. The vet quickly picked him up and started petting him and talking to him. He stopped crying and started POOPING! Pooping while the vet was holding him! My vet said "see, this means he's frightened...he just had an anxiety attack" I was blown away by Ninja's reaction...Well we went on with the exam and vet said he had ear mites so he took Ninja to the back to clean out his ears. He came back and said "I need to ask you some questions about Ninja" So I was all for it. He asked where I had gotten him from...what age I got him...If I knew anything from his background, that type of stuff. After all said and done he said "Basically, something happened to your puppy when he was a baby. Puppies shouldn't know how to growl or be afraid of people. They haven't been alive long enough to even know what is bad or good yet. I think a Human might have abused him before you received him or something with a Human happened that has made him think People are bad." I wanted to cry! But he said "He is not an aggressive dog...I can tell because if he was, I would have been bit already...even now...im holding him..im not restraining him...his body is limp" (the vet was holding him while we were talking) Anyways, he told me I need to take him everywhere I go...He needs to get used to people and know that they aren't out to hurt him. And he told me if people ask to pet him say NO, DON'T TOUCH HIM. He isn't ready for people to just come up and invade his space. He needs time to learn that people aren't bad. I feel so mislead by my breeder now. He said he was well socialized and seem to know so much about the breed. I don't know what to do. I emailed the breeder to get any information on Ninja's life before I received him and if he knows why Ninja is so afraid of People...but im pretty sure hes just going to say that he was fine when he left so it must be something im doing to him. blah. I take him out to petsmart or coffee shops like once a week and when we take them for a walk we always see other people walking their dogs...I guess it never occured to me why Ninja would always hide behind me or try to run away. I guess I just thought he was still adjusting to the new environment. Anyways...we'll see how everything goes...Obedience classes start on the 15th...so I hope that helps.
  • BradA1878BradA1878
  • RomiRomi
    Got a reply from the breeder...

This is what I wrote to him first:

Hi Mark,

I went to the vet today and Ninja was very very uncomfortable. When the vet was checking him out, he started yelping and even pooped while the vet was carrying him. Even when we invite people over or go out to places Ninja is never very eager to meet people...he even growls sometimes. At such a young age, he is so scared of people and growling at them, it seems as if something might have happen to him while he was young??? Did anything ever happen to him to make him fear people so much? I mean when I see other puppies they are always coming up to me and jumping all over me in excitement. Ninja is the only puppy i've met that is not. Did you not socialize him at all? Im not trying to place the blame on you or intend to return Ninja for any reason. But when I first got him, I assumed it was because everything is new and he needs time to adjust. I would expect him to be comfortable by now...its been 1 month. I would just like to know what might have happened to him. Did you breed him yourself? Or was he from a different breeder? If he is from a different breeder, it would be much help if you can provide a phone number or email address so I can ask about Ninja's past before I received him. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Knowing the source of the problem always helps solve the problem. Hope to hear from you soon.

And this is what he responded with: (the breeder called him KEETA before I renamed him)

Hi Romi - I raised Keeta, his papers show me as the breeder and that is trueful - i even raised his mother. He was very socialized and i still have his sister. Sometimes Shiba's don't adjust well due to their temperments. If you want to return him i will take him back if you will pay the airfare and i will also return what you payed for him. Have you tried making him spend time on your lap and with other people? One thing you shouldnt do is discipline him to harshly - it will only make him more determinded and afraid.

PS He has never ever been treated in any cruel way. His father is shy, but i bought him when he was two, so i just figured he had not been handled much. He is very friendly with me now but it took time.

Again i am so sorry.

Mark

So from what he said, im guessing that brad is right and it must have been a trait passed down. I can't return Ninja! Is this breeder on crack??...I specified that I wasn't trying to place the blame or intend on returning Ninja...oh well. Well I guess Ninja's father was shy...he didn't really say anything about the mother though...What did he mean by "One think you shouldn't do it discipline him too harshly" ?? Well I guess I'll have to take him out everyday somewhere...A storm just hit and its raining her now...Maybe ill just take him to Petsmart tomorrow or something. Thanks for all the help guys..im still a little bummed...but i hope everything works out okay.

Jessica - How long did it take Moto to get comfortable? And how old was Moto when you got him? Ninja will turn 5 months on the 13th. I hope its not too late for his personality to change (not change, but i guess get used to people and not be so fearful.) My vet was saying something about building his confidence...and obedience classes is a good start. Is there any other things I can do to help boost his confidence? What do you think of the suggestion the breeder made about having Ninja sit on my lap while I have guests over?

Brad - I think I have been reinforcing his fears unconciously. I will work on that...everytime Ninja gets scared or starts to growl, I usually pet him and say "its ok, don't be scared" and once he loses the tension i say "good boy" . I figured it was my way to make him feel safe and calm. Ninja seems good with other dogs...its just people. He'll go sniff other dogs, but no way in hell will he go up to a stranger and sniff them.
    Post edited by Romi at 2008-01-05 02:08:05
  • RomiRomi
    by the way brad, for some reason...sometimes the forum lets me make space between my paragraphs...and sometimes it doesn't...like the post above...is there something i need to be doing in order to make spaces between my paragraphs?
  • BradA1878BradA1878
  • BradA1878BradA1878
  • BradA1878BradA1878
  • RomiRomi
    The only time i raise my voice is usually when the dogs are playing too rough then I say "BE NICE!"...with Portia we kind of yell at her a lot...because she kind of bullies Ninja with her height advantage so we say "PORTIAAAAAA" and then she comes to us and calms down.. Ninja seems too small to hurt...even when i bump into him on accident I get scared..haha he's just too small! He isn't a very bad puppy either...no messes really...he doesn't chew much...or when he does chew something he's not supposed to we re-direct him to a nylabone or some other toy and he usually sticks to the toy. I must say Ninja is quite a good puppy so far...I hope im not jinxing myself! The only thing with Ninja is his fear of people. Portia on the other hand...chewed EVERYTHING! From magazine's, make-up brushes, to our bed sheets...(i think i spent over 400.00 in buying new sheets) oh and my glasses!!! she has ruined 4 pairs of my glasses in the past year...each time i buy its 280.00!!! ( i buy the same pair each time)

Brad - I use the form...no word document...
  • grandemugrandemu
  • ktreborktrebor
    Post edited by ktrebor at 2008-01-05 12:23:57
  • RomiRomi
    Post edited by Romi at 2008-01-05 16:14:26
  • RomiRomi
    Post edited by Romi at 2008-01-07 05:39:29
  • BradA1878BradA1878
  • Post edited by BradA1878 at 2008-01-06 16:22:29
  • RomiRomi
  • RomiRomi
    Post edited by Romi at 2008-01-06 21:59:03
  • RomiRomi
    Post edited by Romi at 2008-01-07 05:37:20
  • crusedacruseda
  • crusedacruseda
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
  • RomiRomi
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
  • BradA1878BradA1878
  • EvanEvan
  • RomiRomi

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)