For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
  • BradA1878BradA1878
  • BSL= Bull Shit Law

How long will it take for people to understand the real problem. Stupid people! Stupid people who turn peaceful dogs into killers for sport, who continue to build up the myth of the dangerous breed, who make idiotic laws to appease a vocal minority who have no idea what they're talking about. This is a prime example of what's wrong with America. What's the point of a democracy if the majority doesn't rule?
  • BradA1878BradA1878
  • very true. The three branches and checks an balances don't work any more because big bussiness and the media are now unoficial parts of the government. However to be clear there's no other country I'd rather live in than America.
    Post edited by shimaurashibalover92 at 2009-07-13 01:26:20
  • okironokiron
    Commenting to show that I hate BSL but will not comment further since talking about it pisses me off and I tend to take my anger out on Errik lol.
  • Lol. Yeah no need to get mad at Errik for no reason.
  • KaddyKaddy
    Can you imagine what would happen if they outlawed all the new little designer breed dogs?? Would people start to care more?

OMG My Shitpoo isn't allowed to be in my purse because he's an ill-behaved little yippy monster?? But.. but... he's my 'designer' dog!
  • haha
  • CaliaCalia
  • cmmookiecmmookie
    What really pisses me off is when "dog people" over-generalize.

When we are at the dog run, there have been plenty of times when a pitt owner will come in with his/her dog and when the cute little pittie goes to greet the other dogs, I see some owners run over to get their dog away. I've also heard comments more or less saying that people with those "dangerous" dogs, should not be allowed to come into the park. GRRR!!!!
  • KFontaine04KFontaine04
    Those people need to meet Jessica's Ruby...that little peanut pibble will change anyones mind!
  • obukobuk
    Great video!
  • I wonder when owners will realise that by freaking out over a calm pitt bull to protect their small, yippy, annoying dog (or normal, nice dog) will just cause more trouble. Huh.

Pitbulls are banned in my country :( because of the work John does with the police he sees them in our area fairly often and they're usually such nice dogs in the midst of aggressive, fighting training :(
  • BradA1878BradA1878
  • KFontaine04KFontaine04
    Our Shiba Friend Hunter was totally discrimnated against the other day. Andrea (Hunter's Mom) went to sign him up for Doggie Daycare and filled out all the paperwork. Well the girl at the desk said the woman who does evaluations wasn't there and she would call her to set something up. The next day the evaluator called her and said they can't accept Hunter because he is a Shiba Inu and they are dog agressive and don't play well. She NEVER even met Hunter!
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    It is indeed a lot like racism, by its very essence believing that breed has everything to do with traits, tendencies, temperament, capabilities.. It is breed discrimination.

I've been bitten by a shiba, a lab mix and a beagle. I've interacted with tons of bully breeds/mixes and never once had to fear for a limb or my life!

Beyond BSL, which is incredibly controlling on a free will to own and care for individual dogs, is the stigma that the media places on the breed, how wording and research can save a life. Bad Rap rescue is such a beautiful beam of light for bully breeds - they speak truth to power, I just wish more of the media would listen.

Nathan Winograd had a very good article about a recent dog fighting raid in MO, he is a major player in the No-Kill movement and fair assessment for all shelter dogs. Anti-BSL and the no kill movement have a ways to go, but I think with support in the right places, lives will indeed be saved.
    http://www.nathanwinograd.com/?p=1583
  • asiaasia
    I was reading up on insurance policies the other day, and was excited to see some of the great tips they had for dog owner's. Then, I read that "some breeds have a greater tendency to bite than other breeds..." Listed as possibles were the akita, pit, rottweiler, chow... I wanted to say they should have included my great-grandma's chihuahua since to date I have been around all the other breeds, and that's the only one that's come close to biting. Grr...

In all honesty, the wording should probably read "Dog owners who are lazy and lack sufficient intellect to raise and train their dogs will either be charged an exorbitant fee or lose coverage." Instead of the excess fees or loss of coverage to the good owners who have amazing dogs that apparently "are more prone to biting than others..." It irritates me.
    Post edited by asia at 2009-07-14 02:56:29
  • I've been bitten by a fluffy little white dog and a yorkie. Pretty much every pit mix or other "dangerous" breed has mauled me with kisses.

Kristen- That's total BS, with Hunter. I think we're going to need to form a Nihonken.org militia to defend the rights of dogs.
  • KFontaine04KFontaine04
    I know Joe! When Andrea told me I almost flipped out! I am going to get Miso CGC certfied and then go "sign up" at the daycare and go off on her if she tells me the same thing. I will throw it back at her saying "So, My CGC Certified in training therapy dog (hopefully!) can't go to your daycare because he is a Shiba Inu? Okay, I have an over excitable, nippy, yappy yorkiepoo as well who is a terror, but she is a "designer breed", can she go?" LOL>
  • Call us before you go, I'll put on sunglasses and pretend to be yakuza. I've found that waving a katana around and screaming in a fake accent is the only way to get results with some people.
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    I didn't want to start a new thread... but in case one knows of Pit/Bully/Power breed rescues, check out this link:
    http://www.nathanwinograd.com/linked/hsmo.pdf

The Humane Society of Missouri is calling for rescues to help with placement of the dogs pulled from the large, large fighting situation. There is hope for them (and "pit bull politics" still!)

If the stigma of the "fighting dog" can be combated with the rehabilitation and subsequent positive, thorough media coverage of the achievements of a former fighting pit bull terrier/staffordshire terrier/etc., then maybe BSL will have no place in modern society. Maybe.
  • obukobuk
    This was last year:

"The Dutch government says it will lift a long-standing ban on pit bulls because it did not lead to any decrease in bite incidents."

"Instead, the country will focus on enforcing local leashing laws and owner education programs." ---> Why can't we have that instead of increasing "dangerous breeds" bans.... ?

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2008/06/09/20080609netherlands-pitbulls0609-ON.html?source=nletter-news
    Post edited by obuk at 2009-07-16 11:05:14
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    awwwwwesome. The Dutch got it right.
  • CaliaCalia
  • Post edited by curlytails at 2012-12-28 19:28:30
  • Post edited by shibamistress at 2012-12-29 00:43:22
  • SayaSaya
  • CaliaCalia
    Post edited by Calia at 2012-12-28 22:02:01
  • InoushiInoushi
    @KitsuneArcher After reading the other thread concerning this, I am officially rankled. As an owner of a type of dog targeted by BSL, I don't get the logic. Goldens bite more people a year than pitbulls, and I've seen my fair share of stories involving children being killed by Labs (sometimes mistakenly labeled as pits, because apparently all black dogs with round heads are pits), yet they are never targets. As far as the whole, shibas not being capable of hurting someone, I think thats just screaming ignorance of the breed. The main reason shibas have to be so intensively socialized is because they can have human aggression. Shibas have been known to bite people. Why do you think a lot of breeders are leery about adopting to homes with children? Because shibas will lick them to death? Heck one year a Pomeranian managed to kill someone. All dogs have teeth, and all dogs can do a lot of damage to a person.

It is also worth noting, a lot of "random" dog attacks are not random. When it comes to children, especially, there seems to be this culture where parents allow their children to negatively interact with animals. I once had children, try to beat Kenshin with sticks when he was a puppy. I took the hits for him, and from that moment on, he has hated children. I have watched people allow their children to torture their dogs, by pinching, twisting their ears, and tails, stomping on them, and then when the dog reacts, its labeled as random. Then you have people who beat and lock their animals up because it did something like drool over food. When I got zora, many dog "experts" recommended that I tie her to a radiator. A RADAITOR. When I told them no, their response, was how was I going to control such a big dog? Easy, I trained her. If I could do it at 12, why the heck can't so many people train rottweilers? I'll tell you why. They are lazy.

When surveyed most Americans walk their dog an average of 15 minutes a week. Yea, you read that correctly. So if thats all they walk their dogs, how much time do you think they will put into training? Not mention, dogs like pits are high energy. You keep a dog like that, on a crappy schedule, on a crappy diet, with no stimulation, and is constantly tortured, what do you think is going to happen? Lets not forget that these dogs are so cheap and common, breeding has no direction. Infact 90% of pits I see are mixes, usually with labs to make them "bigger", which is stupid since labs are mouthy, now add in that pitbull jaw power, and that labs drive with the pits drive, and you get maulings. A pitbull properly bred to fight other dogs, actually will never bite humans. They had to breed dogs that could be pulled apart without risk to their handlers. Why do you think all of the Vic dogs were so sweet, and all but one was adoptable. The gross ignorance concerning bullies, and other breeds that are targets due their size and "scary" looks is beyond me. If people stopped looking at mainstream news outlets, which in all honestly glorify the horrendous, they would realize many of these breeds are also pretty accomplished in therapy work.

Last note, ducking your head in the sand because one of incident which generated a phobia does a disservice to everyone. If you can look at the mass graves, where people had their dogs forcibly ripped from them, including puppies, all dead in a ditch, and say oh well, then that takes a special kind of coldness, that makes even discussing this with you in a calm matter near impossible. People get angry because they have to constantly defend themselves. Have to constantly be told by people their dog is a killer, or it shouldn't be allowed here, even though they have a dog just as sweet as your kit. Thats why you see that. And when you word things such a way, it makes people upset. I am passionate about all breeds. Even if I don't have a desire to own a breed, it doesn't matter because I love dogs. I will defend them, and the right to own them because thats what dog lovers do. We are passionate.
  • SayaSaya
  • Post edited by shibamistress at 2012-12-29 00:44:13
  • Somehow none of this surprises me one bit. Given the temperaments involved.

Saya, someone hijacked my intro thread to pick a fight and then a mod bumped these threads to keep it going. Immature, hostile, obnoxious behavior all around. I had no intention of engaging in conversation with anyone involved as it would be entirely pointless.

It cracks me up that a breed enthusiast discussion board turned out to be dominated by some grade-A grinches, but so it goes. I've been sharing some of this with friends in another part of the nets and we are having some epic lulz over it. My only wish for Christmas at this point is to have every post I've made here deleted or edited to null. I'm embarrassed I was ever here.
    Post edited by Kitsune1 at 2012-12-29 00:47:12
  • SayaSaya
  • SayaSaya
  • RikkaRikka
    Post edited by Rikka at 2012-12-29 04:44:07
  • SayaSaya
  • Post edited by curlytails at 2012-12-29 05:20:10
  • SayaSaya
    Post edited by Saya at 2012-12-29 05:37:15
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Post edited by lindsayt at 2012-12-29 06:12:40
  • InoushiInoushi
    Well this is an excellent example of why we deal with BSL. People with this attitude, unfortunately perputuate the problem. There is no use trying to reason with them. Even if they see a good dog, they will something along the lines of "they will turn on you one day" never mind the fact that the reason you have so many bites is because they are the most common. But you know what im not even go onto stats when they cite that particular site. I've seen that dogbite site since it first came up years ago, and it sickens me that its still around.

As for the other comments, I feel really sorry for all of the people she is going to be responsible for enticing to get a shiba. Hopefully they will have the gumption to stick it out, but somehow, I doubt it.
  • Inoushi, you're a card. Get over yourself. And you know what? If everyone who championed pit bulls ended up like Darla Napora... It would be kind of poetic justice. Tragic, sad, but somehow it also just seems like "Duh."

So you have fun with the pit bulls. I hope they have fun with you too!
  • CaliaCalia
  • SayaSaya
  • catloreecatloree
  • Sorry if I offend anyone but here goes nothing.

I live in South Florida, I'm sure most of you know that Miami Dade county has BSL. Now with that said, I own a Shiba but love pitbulls, lots of my friends have them and they are amazing dogs. In all honesty I would have had gotten one instead of Hiiro but my fiancé is not a fan of the way they look and their insane level of energy. Almost all the ones I ever met were amazing with people and almost all dogs but you do get those morons like the ones who take their dog aggressive pitbulls to the dog park to mingle with other dogs and that's when accidents happen. Then you have the other morons who spraid the "locking jaw" and "won't let go until dead" rumors which makes for a perfect storm of hate for pitbulls... I will gladly let my 4
    month old 11 pound shiba play with a pitbull all day, but some of those dogs, mostly due to poor ownership can be dangerous for other dogs.

Last thing, the only close call Hiiro and I had getting attacked by another dog was in my own neighborhood by a sheperd mix that was being walked off leash. So goes to show...

Ps: I have personally owed a Basset Hound, GSD and cocker spaniel. Only the cocker showed dog aggressiveness and that was due to an early age trauma.
  • SayaSaya
  • AWE46M3AWE46M3
    I really feel sorry for bully breed dogs in many ways since they are often judged so quickly. Some of THE nicest dogs my wife, Shiba, and I have encountered were bully breeds. The dog park we visit has some regulars that are bully breeds they are great with big and small dogs alike. Their owners have obviously spent a lot of time with training and socialization and it really shows. We were at the park over the weekend when a lady and her son show up with their "pit bull" and Boxer; they are some of the regulars and another lady next to me spots them, looks at her daughter and says: "uh oh, pit bulls, hurry and grab the dog (Aussie mix) before they get in..." I told her they were regulars, come at least once or twice a week, and are very well socialized, she tells me, "well they're pit bulls so it's just a matter of time so it's not worth the risk."

To be quite honest, my wife and I have talked about getting a "pit bull" type of dog but probably won't because of the way people are so quick to judge. Oh, that and BSL that may prevent us from moving somewhere if we ever decide to.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)