For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
random coat q's
  • I have a couple of questions about Shiba fur...

first, what do you use to keep your pups coat shiny and soft?

second, when do Shiba puppies tend to come into their full coat? My pup is nearly 7mo old and seems to have the sleeker coat that constantly sheds but I'm not sure if she's still developing her adult coat.

finally, I live in Florida and my little one LOVES to be outside but I feel like its so hot outside. Does anybody do any heavy duty grooming/cutting for summer?

thanks so much :)
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-06-09 14:01:15
  • KaddyKaddy
    Good questions... I wish I could help with answers!

Keiko is just starting to really fill out and look more 'Shiba-ish' and she's 11.5 months right now. I just feed Innova EVO small bites and one raw egg yolk per week - it seems to keep her coat nice and shiny. Our other dogs naturally have super sleek shiny coats so I don't add the egg to their food. I definitely noticed a difference after adding the yolk for Keiko though.

I also worry about over heating so I try to limit the time we spend in really hot direct sun during the summer, and I keep a constant supply of fresh water available. I'm not sure that there's any special summer way to groom a Shiba... they'd look pretty silly if they were shaved lol :o)
  • JessicaRabbitJessicaRabbit
    Best things you can do to keep their coats soft and shiny is add oil to their diet and wash them very infrequently (like seasonally).

Your pup may not get a thick coat. Some varieties of shiba have sleeker coats. But you can try adding fish oil and Solid Gold Seameal which has benefited many of our dogs coats.

And NEVER EVER EVER EVER cut their coat. The double coat is to protect them from cold and heat. Your dog could suffer from more heat damage from being shaved. Just make sure to never leave him out alone. You want to be able to monitor his panting. Keep him well hydrated. And most shibas love ice cubes.
  • SangmortSangmort
    1. Pups coats tend to be shiny & soft on their own, the way of the spitz-type dogs I suppose. You can add some nutritional supplements to help tho. Omega 3 Fish Oil does wonders for a dog's coat [ & of course, it does wonders for people as well ] Also, if your pup already isn't on one, a grain-free diet can sometimes help.

2. They'll come into their first coat after their first molt / blowing. Essentially its when they lose their undrcoat. Shibas don't normallly continually shed, it sounds like you pups has a "moss" coat, meaning, instead of blowing coat 2x a year, they will continually shed instead. There are many shibas like this, they also tend to have sleeker fur, just the way they are.

3. Hello fellow Floridian! Generally, shibas can do well in the heat, given that they are kept hydrated and not out too long in direct sunlight. [ florida sun being ever so strong ] You're pu should be fine, just try to limit outdoor activity during the hottest hours, try to walk early in the morning & later in the evening when it's cooler. NEVER cut a shiba's coat. Spitz-dogs should not have their fur cut.

Also, try not to bathe your shiba too often, they're really self-cleaning like a cat, so only do when necessary [ like, if they get into some mud ] Bathing a shiba too much strips their coat of the natural oils that make it healthy.

If you have any more questions, pls ask. ~
    Post edited by Sangmort at 2009-05-12 01:57:08
  • SangmortSangmort
    Whoa, love how everyone posted within a few seconds of eachother, haha. ~
  • CaliaCalia
    I good diet can help give your pups a nice shiny coat, and the greatest thing with this coat type is that a brushing is enough to get rid of most any mud/grime they happen to get in.

Like what was said, shaving is bad for this kind of coat, plus it would show more of the undercoat which doesn't really have a shine.

Their coat blows are somewhat season/weather based, coming from an area that has warm summers and snowy winters. Being in Florida, the winter doesn't get as cold, so their shedding may be more constant than seasonal. Thus, their coats will never get as thick as a pups living more north.

Shade and water are great ways to keep from over heating, and if you feel that ice cubes may be too hard for their teeth, I have seen people freeze blended fruit cubes instead (easier to chew on but still can take time to finish)
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Supplements will only get you so far in improving a coat. If a good full coat isn't in the dog's breeding, then Seameal and fish oils will only go so far, but they can improve things like sheen, luster and texture. While natural sunlight is great, too much direct sunlight can damage/fade the coat, and the heat can be uncomfortable for double coated breeds. Apparently most Shiba have their best and thickest coats in their first years.

I'm still fine tuning my grooming regimens for my 2. I'm finding that I prefer to live with a clean and well groomed dog, but frequent bathing is not needed to maintain a healthy coat and skin, they just look nicer. You can still keep the coat and skin healthy if choosing to bathe frequently, it just takes more effort. Mine get mega doses of fish oils and some added Seameal/Missing link. The right grooming tools make a lot of difference and make removing dead undercoat much easier, so I would not see a need, barring medical procedures, to shave the dog."Common sense isn't so common"
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    You got some great answers above, I'll just add:

I think diet has a lot to do with coat health, as does breeding and the type of coat they were born with. I add fish oils to their diet.

My female (will be 2 in June) still has a very sleek coat. She's just starting to shed a bit more now (precursor to the blow out). My male (2 this past winter) has a very thick plush coat, only in the last few months its started to really come in, and subsequently shed a bit more. I think around 2 when they have blown their coat a few times, it starts to come in thicker.
    Since I live in northern PA, they do still blow coat and I usually have much more grooming in late spring/early summer than again in late summer/early fall. They still shed hairs year round, but the blow out happens about twice a year.
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    Noticed something interesting today and didn't want to start a new thread for it.

But I was brushing Leo (cream) today after our morning walk and noticed a single strand of black hair! At first I thought it was something he picked up on the walk but it's his hair.

Any other cream shiba owners ever notice this before? I thought it was interesting so I left it on him and will see if he starts getting more.

You know how we get white hairs if we're stressed/etc... Hahah do cream shibas get black hair? LOL
    Leo "JD" Hu | Cream Shiba Inu | DOB: 8/19/2011 | Southern California - LA/OC

New to DoggyLoot.com? Sign up and get $5 to spend! https://doggyloot.com/invite/f6c292
    New to Wag.com? Sign up and use coupon code "DANW1122" to get 20% off your first order!
  • LosechLosech
    I didn't think creams could get black hair. Does that mean they aren't e/e?
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Did your cream have b&t or sesame parents or grandparents?
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • I live in SE Alabama, and Marou loves the outside fresh air, but after 30mins with it being so hot and humid we have to come back in. He looks like he's about to have a heat stroke... So, I would suggest to leave fresh water out at all times, shorten walks, and have more activities inside to do. I live in a 700sq foot apartment, so I've had to get crafty with activities.. As far as his coat, I take pride in, very glossy. I do a daily quick brush with a stickler brush, and a wash every other week or once a month (he tends to get a little greasy with it being so humid) and giving him coconut flakes everyday for his skin and coat.
  • SayaSaya
    Heat is no good for any dog.. hehe Saya and Bella always have big bowl of water when outside. Saya being B&T her fur gets hot easily. Luckily there is trees around so they lounge in shade if too hot.

Or I have them come inside. Saya loves the outside though. One time I had to force her to come inside.. Not by force I just had her come to me and I told her to go home which she did. Coarse she wanted to go back outside she was like mom there's bunnies I haven't found yet! haha

White dogs seem to be sensitive to the heat more so then others. Bella gets hot easily.

There are dog coats that supposedly helps keep a dog cool in hot weather and mats too.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • koyukikoyuki
    @leojdhu i just checked Takeo, and no black hairs, just an increasing amount of bright orange! Im going to keep checking though because he is getting so dark now i wouldnt be surprised to find a black hair :-P
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
  • rubyruby
    Simon is my 11+ shiba mix...he has 3 black hairs. 1 on his leg, 1 on his back, 1 on his side. We got him @ 6 weeks and he didn't get them until he was a few years old. His Mom was a cream and his Dad???? There were 6 in his litter; 2 cream, 4 black and tan. Love to hear he is not the only one with some black hairs.
  • AnnaAnna
    LeoJDHu Hammond is a sesame but has started growing a patch of white between his shoulder blades. It's not purely white, it's still mostly dark hairs, but he's definitely got a white saddle forming, haha.
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    @lindsayt - He does. I always thought that creams would only get white or red hairs so I found it intriguing!

Leo "JD" Hu | Cream Shiba Inu | DOB: 8/19/2011 | Southern California - LA/OC

New to DoggyLoot.com? Sign up and get $5 to spend! https://doggyloot.com/invite/f6c292
    New to Wag.com? Sign up and use coupon code "DANW1122" to get 20% off your first order!
  • Im not complaining that Arya isn't shedding but I find it kind of weird that she isn't. Lol. I'm reading about how some of you guys vacuum everyday. Arya's fur gets on my clothes but it's not like what I saw from her older brother who was shedding, like when petted fur falls off. Is it normal that she isn't shedding as much?
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    It may not look like Kuma was shedding at all until I vacuumed... And there it was, a ton of fur in my Dyson. I vacuum every other week, and it helps with his fur not sticking to my clothes.

Regarding original post, I like this post, I think I will try some fish oil along with his food. What brand fish oil do you guys use?

Oh and how much do you put of the fish oil?
    Post edited by kumaDUDE at 2012-07-14 00:14:48
  • LosechLosech
    I use human-grade capsules, same stuff I'd buy for myself. Conker gets one 1,200mg capsule a day. You can use the 1,000mg capsules too, I've just got the slightly larger ones due to those being what I found for a good price.

I have in the past, used Grizzly Salmon Oil, which is made for dogs and can be pumped onto the food. I used one "pump" from a 16 ounce bottle. I like the stuff I use now more though.
  • kumaDUDEkumaDUDE
    Kuma is only 4mo old, should I only do half serving?
  • aykayk
    The random single black hair on a cream/white is probably a somatic mutation in that particular hair follicle.
  • vaness0rzvaness0rz
    Jackson has a sleek coat as well. We also live in Florida, I think that has something to do with it. We've always joked about how we should move up North to see how fluffy he would get ^_^
  • RyuDragonRyuDragon
    How long does it usually take before their undercoat starts growing back in? Ryu finished his coat blow around mid may. Its been ridiculously hot in the midwest so I could see why his undercoat wouldn't have started to come back in, but I'm wondering how long it usually takes to come back? The only place he still has any is his neck/scruff area and he didn't blow all of it in that area in the first place.

I was also thinking about incorporating fish oil or some raw egg into his diet, but he is on Wellness Core and it already has some Omega 3 and 6 acids (not less than .5% and 3.25%). Is this generally enough or would some additional supplements be helpful?
  • InoushiInoushi
    It varies between the dog, kenshin lost all of his undercoat in may, and it was thick (but much shorter than winter) by mid july. Its starting to lengthen now. I also think its worth mentioning kenshin is primarily indoors where we keep it 70 - 60 degrees, and here in nyc, our summer has been much milder than the rest of the country. I find fish oils only help a little. Kenshin has not been taking them for a few months (since before shedding) and the only difference I notice is that his coat feels a little more harsh. He actually has grown his best summer coat this year (3rd summer, at 2 years old).
  • FoxyloverFoxylover
    Foxy's fur around the neckline is getting very dark and I think it's from her black leather collar because while out on walks it's been so hot that often people will have their sprinklers going and she loves to go in them and try to eat the spray from them meanwhile getting all wet. I think the leather rubs off on her while we finish walking and it's drying.

I've bathed her and it doesn't come off. Any suggestions on how to make the fur white again?
    Photobucket
  • XabiXabi
    @RyuDragon I don't know if it's any easier, but you may look at getting sardines for your shiba. If you look in other threads there's some advice about sodium levels if that's a concern for you. I get tins of them (usually 3-5 in a tin depending on size of sardine) for cheap from my grocery store (@$1.50). They typically have a lot of different packing preparations (soybean oil, mustard, Louisiana hot sauce, but you want just packed in water. Then I just add about one a day per dog to some of their good quality kibble. My shibas love 'em, and the place doesn't smell super fishy even when I store them for a day or so in the refrigerator.

The ones I buy are from American/Canadian waters. I checked into mackerel as a different option, but my store stocked canned mackerel from China. I wasn't willing to serve them that.

I can't verify the information or author in this article, but she gives some of the reasons I give them sardines over fish oil pills.

http://www.caninechronicle.com/Features/Jansey_09/jansey_509.html
    X & I signature smaller
  • atlasatlas
    I use sardines also, and my dogs love them.
  • RyuDragonRyuDragon
    Thanks for the info @Xabi, I have seen other people mention this on here as well. I will look into it further, but I'm strongly considering working it into his diet.
  • JScarf5JScarf5
    For those of you that use the Fish Oil, do you give them a capsule of it a day?
  • SayaSaya
    I give Saya caned sardines in water also given her caned salmon and mackerel. She loves them the mackerel and salmon caned with bones are safe to eat the canning process softens the bone up I can crush it with my fingers..

Raw egg is fine for dogs or cooked ones too just don't give a ton.. I'd probably give one egg a week and increase to two and see how the dog does.

Saya gets two eggs a week and does fine. :)

Fish oil is good to give even though kibble has egg or fish oil giving bit extra is good since it's fresh.

It depends on the fish oil capsule some have less and some have more in it.. I don't give fish oil in capsule so not sure. Conker's owner does.

I used use pump kind grizzly salmon oil kind.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • So I have flown my Tobi home to Maryland for the Christmas holidays with me and it has been a pretty stressful experience for him. We have been here for about 2 weeks now and he is still very skittish and sky of my family. Ive been working with him little by little and he's adjusting but one thing that I have noticed is that he has started to shed constantly. Im thinking this is due to stress but Im not sure and am a bit worried. Any thoughts?
  • amtiamti
    Dogs will shed under stress. Whenever I take my dogs to the vet, they shed a lot, and continue for a day or so. I would imagine with the flying and an entirely new place, your dog is pretty stressed. Keep him busy and close to you. Hope he adjusts soon!
  • jarvizjarviz
    How do you get dirt and dust off your shiba? My shiba likes rolling on the ground 'asphalt' when playing with other dogs, she'll basically look like she came out of a chimney sometimes. It's only on the outer layer, so I definitely don't want to give her a bath. What's the best way to get her cleaned? is a wet paper towel enough?
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    @jarviz - There's a couple options you can try:

Waterless Shampoo Spray- http://amzn.com/B001FG9KC2

Pet Grooming Wipes - http://amzn.com/B001ULCS58

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)