For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
So what's the deal on eggs?
  • wliu003wliu003
    Raw vs cooked.. which is the right one to feed our dogs and what are the benefits?

Ive read some articles that claim that raw eggs will greatly improve your dogs coat. but on the other hand, there are also people who do not recommend feeding dogs raw eggs even claiming that it would be detrimental to them. As of right now im not sure which one to side with so i was wondering what everyone opinon was. thanks.
  • LeonbergerLeonberger
    I never tried any of them.
    But, from an empiric point of view on eggs, raw eggs can transmit some germs that can heavily affect a dog's GI tract. On the other hand, dogs seem to be much more resistant to these things than we are, but I'd still be very careful with it. (This is strictly my personal opinion, there are people here that feed raw and should have a better view of this.)
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    If your dog eats a kibble based diet, I would cook the eggs. Maybe you can make her a special once a week breakfast that will help her coat with cooked egg, cooked spinach and fish of some sort (sardines maybe?).

I feed raw eggs but only because I feed a raw based diet and time their raw meals according to digestion rates to not cause any GI harm/build up/fermentation/etc. I've never had an issue with any raw foods and germs because we really strive for the safest handling and feeding practices.

As a rule, I would never give something raw that is fed within a 8-12 hour time frame of kibble.
  • KFontaine04KFontaine04
    I started doing a Saturday morning soft boiled egg in with the dogs breakfast. They love it and we have had not GI or poop problems. Plus they eat their whole breakfast!
  • ShikokuSpiritShikokuSpirit
    Protein!

I do both, sometimes I give raw eggs and sometimes I cook it. I make sure to always include the egg shells and mash them together. If raw, I'll combine with other food source. If cooked, I'll just feed it to them as is. This is something I usually do on a weekly basis.
    - Corina A. Gonzalez | Lynxiene (Belgian Malinois), Shoushuu, Kotomi & Shuran (Shikoku Ken). | Along with a Clan of cats!
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    Jazz gets one whole, raw egg per week (as do I) - we are still working on fur re-growth on her paws. I do the raw egg because I grow my hair out for Locks of Love and my hair grows faster when I consume an egg a week and gelatin.
    LJ - owned by Queen Jazz, a Shiba Inu, Atlanta, GA
    CSC_0144
  • wliu003wliu003
    hey, thanks for everyones input! i had another question, when you guys say cooked, do you mean soft boiled only or sunside up/scrambled okay?
  • SayaSaya
    I'm not sure what way is best, but my mom always scrambled her eggs when she gave them their weekly eggs I'm read on some forum they boiled the egg so I'm not sure.
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • KFontaine04KFontaine04
    I do them soft boiled and I give them the whole egg including the shell (mashed up)
  • TeamLaikaTeamLaika
    There is a slim chance of salmonellosis when feeding raw eggs to dogs or self.
    Raw eggs also possess avidin, which binds biotin and prevents its absorption (Avadin is destroyed with heating) Biotin deficiency symptoms include dull, thin haircoat, excess shedding, itching (dermatitis) and brittle nails. Granted, this is unlikely unless eggs are the sole protein source or fed in excessive amounts.

My dogs enjoy scrambled eggs and poached eggs. As dogs, they would probably be willing to eat raw eggs too but I find the cooked versions less messy.
  • CaliaCalia
    When scrambling the eggs for your dog, do you use butter to line the pan, or have you found an alternative non stick substance? I feel that butter isn't good for the dog, or is it alright to give in this circumstance?
  • okironokiron
    I would use olive oil before butter. But then again, I don't see me feeding scrambled. I'd stick with a mushed up boiled egg.
  • ShikokuSpiritShikokuSpirit
    By "cooked" egg, depending upon what I feel like making that day, it could be fried (my sunny-side ups always break, so I cook both sides), scrambled or boiled.

-----------

Beth - I just crack the egg in a non-stick pan. I'm sure a smidge of butter or olive oil isn't gonna kill them. Especially if it's mostly just a weekly thing.
    - Corina A. Gonzalez | Lynxiene (Belgian Malinois), Shoushuu, Kotomi & Shuran (Shikoku Ken). | Along with a Clan of cats!
  • DjinnDjinn
    Excuse the thread necromancy but I didn't want to start a new one~ how many eggs would be too many? I see a few people say one a week but would more than that be unhealthy? I ask because I am trying to loose weight at the moment and I am separating the yolks out of my eggs at breakfast. The pups love the yolks mixed through their kibble and it seems like a shame to just throw them away, but I also don't want to make the pups sick just for the sake of not being wasteful.
  • SayaSaya
    Could always freeze the yolks?

I give Saya raw egg once or twice a week sometimes three Saya gets her's raw, but she has had cooked eggs which she likes too. Bella had raw and cooked too.

I know some people who feed it a bit more forgot how much, but their dog is bigger like a GSD..

Photobucket
  • @dijinn - my girl gets about 6 a week if I'm doing eggs but she's got an iron stomach and needs that many eggs to put weight on her. Sometimes I scramble (a bit of butter, and no limits for cheese) sometimes raw (just crack the egg in half and let her lick from the shell). However I get my eggs from farmers I know so I have no fears about raw eggs. Same source for raw poultry so...

Is anyone else in the house not dieting? Eggs yolks don't freeze so well but can be used for tarts, custards, ice cream, etc.
  • I have recently started cracking a raw egg over my pup's kibble once a week. I haven't noticed anything strange with his stools yet. I might try cooked later on but he loves the raw so far.
  • acmccart8acmccart8
    How old should a pup be before you start doing eggs for them? And what all benefits does it do?
  • curlytailscurlytails
    From what I know, eggs are praised as a food with high biological value ("eggs are the protein against which all others much be measured," says Monica Segal). They're very nutritious both raw and lightly cooked. Dogs apparently don't deal with cholesterol the way humans do, so giving them more eggs as part of a balanced diet is fine. I don't feel bad if the dogs are getting eggs two or even three times a week when they're on sale, but usually it averages out to once a week.

Some notes from Steve Brown, Unlocking the Canine Ancestral Diet (Wenatchee: Dogwise Publishing, 2010) pp. 32-3:

egg whites: riboflavin, magnesium, potassium, selenium, zinc; contains avidin which interferes with biotin as noted above, but not really a concern
    egg yolks: essential fats -- conjugated linoleic acid, phospholipids, choline, lutein, vitamins D & E compounds; cooking "significantly reduces" lutein
    membranes: glucosamine, chondroitin, hyaluronic acid (all the stuff they sell in joint supplements)
    shells: calcium (washed and finely ground; however, amount of calcium is fairly minimal, and it's a lot easier to get this from other sources if your dog does not gobble up the shell, which mine don't seem inclined to do).

Seems like it's fine to give your pup eggs whenever they're ready to eat them.
    Bowdu 寶肚 (Shiba) and Bowpi 寶媲 (Basenji) with M.C.
  • acmccart8acmccart8
    @curlytails Thanks for all of the information, when I get Onyxs stools under control I will probably try that
  • SayaSaya
    Saya has a iron stomach even as a puppy she took variety well.

Her breeder fed her chicken soup for puppy lover soul so I fed that for a bit then she was switched to wellness puppy.

I forgot when I started adding variety, but she was young she got caned dog food with her kibble throughout the week her and Bella shared it each got half of can to have a spoonful on their kibble.

Giving raw is fine Saya loves both cooked or raw, but since she is fed a raw diet I mainly give her raw egg.

Bella who is kibble fed gets raw eggs on her kibble she loves it.

A lot people worry about the who avidin thing, but I think the yolk has enough vitamins to cover it.

Maybe you can ease into it when you make eggs for yourself give the pup tiny bit of your egg un seasoned..

I gave caned sardines, salmon and mackerel for yummy treat too.
    Photobucket
  • ArcticArctic
    I gave Sansa a raw egg about a week ago and she loved it. I just cracked it over her kibble. No stool issues at all. Eggs are considered a "complete protein" so it can't hurt, right?
  • Yea, I've been giving Dakota a raw egg once or twice a week too with her raw Medallions. It's about the only thing she really loves right now.
  • tatonkatatonka
    Sorry I could not resist.

Tatonka gets the mighty runs with raw eggs - I saw the warnings from Saya and others but I disregarded them because he JUST GOBBLES IT and he doesn't do that with anything. He would eat pebbles and rocks if they were covered in liquidy eggness. I did that once and he made his -_- face afterwards.

I can try the cooked eggs - it is a good suggestion.
    Monkey!
    Post edited by tatonka at 2012-10-18 21:54:39
  • FoxyloverFoxylover
    I've been giving Foxy a raw egg over her nightly kibble feeding daily and she loves it. I've had no issues with her stool and she seems just fine. In the morning I give her about a tablespoon of greek yogurt after she finishes her kibble and again, no issues for us.

Photobucket
  • kayla4554kayla4554
    When first giving Maya raw egg, she had some poop issues. But now I give her 1-2 raw eggs a week over her kibble and she is pooping rather nicely...and she gobbles her egg as fast as her little mouth will let her!

kayla and maya <3
  • redcattooredcattoo
    Okay, decided I would see if Bear would take to raw egg over his kibble for his evening meal tonight. First time he ate every bit of kibble and licked the bowl clean. Must have loved it. Now I will watch to see if he has any adverse poop issues.

If he takes to doing well with the raw egg on his kibble, what would be a good balance per week ... one, two, or more?
  • SayaSaya
    I'd do one for now and then try two as he does good on it.
    Photobucket
  • DjinnDjinn
    My guys both love eggs, raw or boiled, and we've never had any upset tummies. I just didn't want to over do it. Thanks for all the advice guys!
  • AWE46M3AWE46M3
    My dogs likes eggs in any form; raw, scrambled, hard boiled, it really doesn't matter to him. We have not encountered any poop issues from the eggs. My wife and I are under the impressions eggs and raw chicken are his two favorite foods! I'm not sure he can tell the difference or not but it almost seems that he likes the cage free eggs more.
  • micomico
    We used to give Suki a scrambled egg for her breakfast when she was a pup - 30secs in the microwave means they're quick and easy. We tried raw but she didn't like it (I think that's the only thing she's refused to eat). Even now she gets excited if I'm scrambling eggs for us and I have to give her some.
  • SayaSaya
    Today Saya had a raw egg mixed with a little bit of honest kitchen and some cooked ground pumpkin I cooked for the dogs.. Yummy Halloween treat.

She loved it licked the bowl clean.
    Photobucket
  • So we've been cracking the eggs, draining the white and dropping the yolk in with our pups food. He really seems to enjoy it and I am checking to see what you guys think about it.

Initially we hard boiled them, but we lose some nutrients that way- plus keeping it wet is much easier.

Video:
    http://instagram.com/p/cxR8rskqWF

Hach is 15.5 pounds and almost 4 months old(1 week away), figure is normal and he looks healthy.

Some people feed eggs raw, some hard boiled, some not at all. Some once a week, some twice. My question, in your opinion, are 2 egg yolks a day too much, or ok? We do a breakfast/dinner mealtime diet.
  • redcattooredcattoo
    It is my opinion that you should not feed just the yolk and you should feed the whole egg. I also believe it is just fine to feed the whole raw egg, even the shells if your dog likes the shells, but many people do cook them. Cooking them does reduce some nutritional value.

Here is an article I like that supports why I don't worry about feeding the whole raw egg
    http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/feeding-your-dog-raw-eggs-good-or-bad/

I don't know about feeding eggs every day, I think that is probably a little excessive in any diet. I think most people who feed eggs do so a couple times a week not every meal.
    Post edited by redcattoo at 2013-08-14 05:54:22
  • SayaSaya
    I feed whole raw eggs both Saya and Bella loves them. Saya is raw fed and Bella kibble, but gets some raw two to three times a week or four depends.

I give Bella eggs two or three times a week and Saya two times a week once in while three times.

Bella sometimes gets egg yolk if mom makes an egg white, but I don't purposely give just egg yolks except in those cases.

I don't include the shells as Saya gets calcium via bone in items like chicken drumsticks, lamb ribs or whatever and Bella gets calcium from her kibble.

I know some add in egg shells especially if their dog is on ground raw diet that they make themselves for calcium.

I'll include the egg membrane it is supposedly good for joints I don't know.

The pictures here is second time offering whole egg first time she was 3 or 4 months I forgot.

I was hoping she'd bite it to open it, but she used her paw it was funny and I got a good picture of it. She licked up the yolk, egg white, and left the shell alone.

photo 001_zpsb83ee722.jpg

photo 012_zps534fe807.jpg

photo 014_zps29b2c11c.jpg

photo 018_zps73488f3a.jpg

Not sure how much eggs to give, but I think at most two or three a week is fine if the dog can handle it.

You can always mix it up and give some caned sardines, salmon, cooked meat or whatever.

Photobucket
  • raw food is so incredible, i love it, she loves it.
  • DrySeDrySe
    redcattoo said:

It is my opinion that you should not feed just the yolk and you should feed the whole egg.

I was under the impression that it was OK to eat just the yolk. While it is not OK to eat just whites because of inhibitors unless you cook it to destroy some (cooking does not destroy all inhibitors). The idea is that if you eat a whole egg the yolk will balance out the whites and hopefully you get net nutritional gain.

Basically, I think it should be fine to be feeding two yolks a day as long as you don't notice any unusual stools.

People will eat more than 2 eggs a day, I can't see it being bad for dogs.

• I wonder what basis it is that people collectively say that feeding eggs to a dog is ok. yolk alone, yolks with whites, cooked or uncooked- but that its a 2-4 time per week thing. What I am curious about, then, is the reason for it to be treated as a special treat.

Hachi is just about to be 4 months old. In the past 2 weeks he has eaten 12-15 or so egg yolks. It seems good for his diet, he looks and acts healthy with no weird stools. I have not found any research or theories to why too many eggs (2 a day) would be bad for a dog, yet many people are suggesting to feed less.

Of what I have determined, it is the white that could be harmful for dogs- however, only in massive quantities.

Thoughts?
  • redcattooredcattoo
    The reason I feed whole raw eggs and only a few times in a week is I believe one as noted above the whole is better than just a part of the raw egg and concern over the whites is over-rated and that diets are better with variety over time.

Even humans shouldn't eat more than 6-8 eggs a week due to the fact they are very high in cholesterol. It is just my opinion though and I really have no scientific studies to support that eggs daily for dogs (or even just daily yolks) would be bad though in regards to the cholesterol issue humans face, it is just my personal opinion based on how I view diets and balance even for my dogs.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/HQ00608
    Post edited by redcattoo at 2013-08-15 06:20:57
  • amtiamti
    I feed raw and my dogs love eggs. We get fresh eggs from our chickens. I only feed the dogs maybe once a week, and whenever I get a soiled egg, which isn't that often. Sometimes they'll even take a bite out of the shell, but they prefer it ground up (I ground up the shells and fed to the chickens and they have eaten that).
  • RAM25RAM25
    I think they can eat raw eggs to no ill effect. Shinobi once ate an entire egg shell that she stole from the compost, she loves them. I was freaking out that she'd cut her insides up but nothing at all happened...
  • LosechLosech
    All of my dogs get an egg a day when I have them on hand. Some of them will eat the shell, some won't. But they all love the raw eggs, and their coats look great when they get them. Never had an issue feeding my dogs raw eggs.
  • Dakota will not eat her egg raw -- only cooked! What a princess.
  • amtiamti
    There is no harm in the shell and it provides calcium. Mine nibble on the shell once in a while, but will eat crushed egg shells. I crush the shells and refeed to my chickens to add additional calcium to keep their shells strong.

DianaBoston, is it cold when you feed it to her? My dogs don't mind cold food, but my cats dislike it and will wait until things are room temperature before they eat.
  • SayaSaya
    I don't see issue giving an egg a day or two.. As long as dog does fine on it.

I recommend doing once week at first and increasing as dog does fine on it, but since you said your dog's poo is fine no need for me to say that..

I only do one or two eggs a week since I don't have constant supply of it yet. Next year I plan to raise chickens for eggs so I'll have much more.

Sometimes she gets three..

I see no harm in just giving yolks like sometimes my mom makes egg white omelette or just needs the whites for cooking, but not yolks so the dogs get the yolks.

I myself rather use whole egg.. As there is nutrients in both whites and yolks.

I think issue with egg whites is only if you feed ton of it.
    Photobucket
  • Kobe1468Kobe1468
    Thought I'd post this article as eggs are #1 on the list.

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/14_5/features/Improving-Your-Dogs-Diet_20260-1.html

Interesting that she points out that egg whites are more easily digested when cooked. I only give Kobe 1-2 raw eggs a week(no shell), so I don't think this would be much of an issue. If given every day, might be worth consideration.

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
  • redcattooredcattoo
    @Kobe1468 interesting article in that it really supports in some ways feeding eggs anyway you chose from raw to cooked and gives a very broad general idea of the suggest quantity for smaller vs larger dogs. Thanks for sharing the article.
  • SayaSaya
    More info on it.
    http://bunkblog.net/foods-safe-for0dogs/can-dogs-eat-eggs

I think giving whole egg is best purposely taking out yolk or whites just seems odd to me maybe I'm wrong.

Like I said if your cooking and just need a yolk or just whites then sure give the dog the part you don't need so it doesn't go to waste..

Today Saya got a egg with egg shell membranes plus some smelt. yummy.
    Photobucket
  • redcattooredcattoo
    @Saya, another good summary article about eggs that kind of wraps together all the things you hear and addresses them.

For me, two eggs/week for Bear (35 lbs) and upto four for Tanjiro (believe adult weight of 65lbs) and fed whole and raw is my chosen balance for my dogs diet. To date, I have seen no support of really needing to increase or decrease that quantity or move away from feeding them whole and raw.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)