For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
FROMM: I need a food review!
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    I'm looking into various protein sources, and duck is just one that I am not successful in locating anywhere besides in kibble form.

I'm looking into Fromm Duck & Sweet Potato formula kibble as a supplement to their diet now.

Does anyone have any good/bad/etc about this food? Esp. if your dog has grain allergies/sensitivities?

Thanks!
  • okironokiron
    Never heard of them, sorry. You should raise some ducks :D
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    Well, I got an email back from Fromm. I was concerned about the grain/carb usage in their foods - so I emailed them. I've emailed this exact question to a few companies and got back extremely detailed and helpful answers. Not so much with the Fromm Family.
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    My email:

Hello!
    I am considering switching my dogs to Fromm Salmon/Veg or Duck/Sweet Potato. They currently eat a fish based grain free kibble and raw foods due to their intolerance of (cooked) chicken, beef and corn.

I am concerned with putting grains back in their diet, but the grains used in both of your formulas listed above seem to be the lower allergenic grains. What is the percentage of meat content to grain content in your food? What is the percentage of vegetable/fruit content?

Thank you very much!
    - - -- - - - - - - - - -
    their response:

Dear Jennifer,

Thank you for your email and interest in Fromm Family Foods.

I understand your question and reason for it, but I am not a liberty to give you the percentages of meat and vegetables for trade secret purposes.

What I can tell you is carbohydrate percentage in each of the recipes and have listed them below.

I hope this is helpful in you determining the right recipe choice.

Salmon ala Veg
    39% Carbohydrates

Duck & Sweet Potato
    41.5% Carbohydrates

Please let us know if you have any further questions on our recipes.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

While its not quite an answer to my question, it is helpful in my deciding to not feed a food so HIGH in carbs.
    Post edited by tsukitsune at 2009-05-13 13:13:14
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Geez, at least they aren't trying to hide the facts from their consumers :P It would be really nice to know what percentage of the carbs are from fruit and veg vs grains, and how much of the protein content was meat vs grain based. That could have made a big difference in deciding to use this food or not. "Excuse me, can I please have a copy of your awesome secret recipe? I'm writing you directly to ask."
  • ShikokuSpiritShikokuSpirit
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    Thanks Corina! I've been searching.. I either find white-varietal (hormones!) duck or its way expensive...

Lindsay! I thought for kicks, I'd write back and word it as you did:
    My email:

Thank you for the prompt response.
    I am always trying to find a better food, a better diet, a better protein source for my dogs. The search is seemingly endless!

Would you be at liberty to tell me what percentage of the carbs are from fruit and veg vs grains? And how much of the protein content was meat vs grain based?
    Their response:
    Sorry Jennifer, I can't provide that information. I know that it must be frustrating and I do apologize. I wish you the best on your search.

:D
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Why is that so secret? Well, you tried.
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    In the dog food industry recipes and manufacturing procedures are often regarded as highly kept secrets because they don't want the competition to steal their formulas. Before the dog food scare a few years back, a lot of dog food companies would not even say where their dog food was produced (maybe they would say in what country), much less let any outsiders come in to inspect.

Now many of the brands that make high quality foods allow editors from WDJ and other publications into their facilities so they can show off how clean everything is and how fresh all of their ingredients are. However most of them still will not give out specific proportions of ingredients.
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    I do see her point, I just didn't think my questions were that invasive... just percentages.. but what do I know about the industry!

I'm really glad about WDJ's coverage on facilities and processing.
  • AylaAyla
    I have been thinking about feeding FROMM, but choosing a kibble is so stressful! Not that there is any rush; my pup is only two weeks old ;) but I need to do something while the next 6 weeks take their time passing by. I have read great things about the FROMM 4-star foods and love that you can change between their proteins easily; however, I can't seem to find any information on the FROMM puppy. Does anyone have experience with this food, or does anyone recommend a different kibble?
  • BootzBootz
    Reviews on FROMM in the following link.

http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/10111#Item_17

Each dog is different. You have to find what works best for yours. And remember to slowly transition off of what your breeder is feeding.
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    We have been feeding our dogs Fromm for the last several years. We have fed them the Chicken variety and are currently feeding them Pork and Pea. Fromm is also grain free. Our dogs range in age from 3 - 6.
  • YukikoYukiko
  • SayaSaya
  • curlytailscurlytails
  • AylaAyla
    Thanks everyone!
  • We feed Fromm salmon tunalini and Orijen six fish (we mix them). The Fromm gets the bigger reaction, though. They love it.
  • tatonkatatonka
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    Ours are eating Fromm Pork and Peas with no problems. Before that they were eating one with Chicken.
  • SayaSaya
  • We feed From salmon tunalini and all of our dogs love it. Good results with it, too. We combine with Orijen six fish. Partner sells Fromm in his store and gets great feedback from his customers who try it/switch to it.
  • Has anyone used Blue, although my Shiba likes the chicken best. I have been getting good results with Blue.
  • We feed both of our dogs Fromm, well actually that's not technically true now, we recently switched Kit to American Natural Premium grain free Ocean Fish variety. We suspect she has a mild grain allergy, but both of them love Fromm and do really well on it.

Fromm and ANP are both made in Mequon, WI, and since we live in WI it's really convenient for us. Also, I'm not sure if they do this everywhere, but I know where we get our food, they offer a promotion for a free bag of food after every 12 bags.

Edit: I thought I'd also add that both of our dogs were on Fromm puppy as well, so they've pretty much grown up on it. The Humane Society sent us home with a bag of Science Diet for our second dog (yuck!) So that quickly got switched out!
    Post edited by Kit_Keet_ at 2013-12-01 12:57:50
  • brscrnsbrscrns
    I believe that a free bag of food after every 12 bags is a policy of Fromm. EVO, another dog food brand we use, also had a similar promotion.
  • @brscrns - Okay, I thought so, but I didn't want to assume that was the case across the board, good to know though!
  • LuvourSiLuvourSi
    My Si loves and has done excellent on Blue Wilderness (he loves salmon best)!
    Post edited by LuvourSi at 2014-01-18 23:20:11
  • I've also been using Blue for my pup since I got her and haven't had problems with it. I give her the dry food mixed with canned food and she loves it. I haven't tried the wilderness line except for the biscuit treats (salmon, duck, and turkey). She definitely loves those as well
  • LuvourSiLuvourSi
    The reason I switched to blue wilderness is because he was expressing allergy symptoms and once over he hasn't has any issues and in fact he is extremely enjoying his kibble now! He actually looks forward to it just as much as his raw foods.
  • SayaSaya
  • millerb7millerb7
  • SayaSaya

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)