For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
So awesome!!! Lure Coursing.
  • NiNa89NiNa89
    @bootz

My shiba is quite similar to your Jackie.
    He was 100% reliable off leash now is a bit less becouse his prey drive is higher.
    So my question is, will lure coursing help my shiba to decrease or increase his prey drive? Or there will be no diference :D?
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • NiNa89NiNa89
    Yeah, Goku prey drive instict started when he was one year old. Just once he snapped and started to run after the birds that he saw them before and never had interests in it. I work with him with distractions and he is doing fine, like coming back or even just watching the bird and not runing after. But still I can see that he loves it and I thought why don't give him the opertunitiy to "hunt" by doing lure coursing. It quite new thing here in Croatia, only greyhounds are doing it. And im really excited to see how he will do it.
  • BootzBootz
    @NiNa89

I don't think lure coursing increases or decreases prey drive, but instead brings out the drive that is already in them, as lindsayt mentioned.

If you bring your dogs to lure coursing, you'd definitely have to step up your recall training. But of course as a back up, the instructors will help draw your dogs back with the lure.

However, I do have to clarify - Jackie's recall was bad during the lure coursing because she was so locked on chasing the lure. But when we went back to our "normal" lives, she did NOT chase plastic bags or leaves that were blown by the wind. Her recall was solid again.
  • NiNa89NiNa89
    Ok. Thanks for all the informations ;)
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
  • zandramezandrame
    @Kira_Kira, is Williamsburg close to you? Looks like the Sight Hound Organization of Tidewater just had a CAT this past weekend.
    http://www.shotlurecoursing.org/SHOT_Premiums.htm

How about Leesburg? There's a Coursing Hounds Association of the Mid Potomac. Some events coming up.
    http://www.champlurecoursing2.org/CHAMP_EventsPremiums.htm

Found them from AKC club search -
    http://www.apps.akc.org/apps/clubs/search/index.cfm?action=perf&display=on
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
  • Let us know how they go! I had noticed the same thing when I first started looking into it, there's some but not quite as many.

As soon as Nymeria hits the year old mark I think she'd have a blast doing lure coursing.
  • MoxyFruvousMoxyFruvous
    Thinking about taking Tang to do this next month. Looks like the Sammamish Kennel Club has a CAT event on Aug 23rd. Anyone local done this or familiar with the Sammamish Kennel Club? Anything I should know first before I sign Tang up?

Thanks! :D
  • FrillfaceFrillface
    I was interested in doing this with Denso when he gets older. Do they need a good recall? Can I keep a lead on him when he runs?

I can see it now.. Denso not wanting to finish and not letting me catch him ;)
  • MoxyFruvousMoxyFruvous
    From what I have been reading, they cannot wear collars, a harness or anything else while running (must get in the way). But I think its done in a enclosed space. If its not, I won't be doing it. Tang has horrible recall right now.
  • FrillfaceFrillface
    Yeah, I figured for safety reasons. I'll look into it! In the meantime.. Recall practice!
  • zandramezandrame
  • MoxyFruvousMoxyFruvous
    I was sure I read somewhere no collars and no harness. I'll have to double check.

But either way, thats fine.
  • lindsaytlindsayt
  • @lindsayt Do you know how I am supposed to sign up for the Snohomish/Sammamish event on the 23rd? I can't find any info on how to sign up or how much it is. All I can find is something that says closing date Aug 5th, which I assume means that is the last day to sign up.
  • zandramezandrame

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)