For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Why is he barking at me
  • a4cefeda4cefed
    So Aston (7 month old Shiba) has now started bark at me for what seems like no reason. If im laying down or sitting on the couch he will walk over, sit down and bark at me. I ignore him because i dont want him to think that behavior is ok. Then after a few more barks if i dont respond he'll jump on the bed or couch. Now before he would only bark when he need something ( water/ go out) but now its like he just wants attention from me. i give him attention and pet him but he nips my hand when i reach for him. i push his head away and continue to pet him and he relaxes. I cant do anything around him without him walking over giving me a stair and then barking or biting. what can I / should I do to correct this ? Aston is a really friendly dog with people but he is starting to worry me.
  • sunyatasunyata
    Sounds like the little guy has reached the rebellious stage. More than likely he wants attention. Bella paws at me when she wants attention. Unfortunately, we have tried everything, but she still does it. Luckily, after a minute of ignoring her, she gives up.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • Give him nothing. He is just being a punk. If he barks at you turn your back on him. That is giving him the opposite of what he wants. He will figure out soon enough that this is not the way to get you to pet him, or play, or whatever he wants. Even if it means getting up and leaving the room. Any attention is indulging him. He will learn quickly. Moto and Miko both went through this.
  • wliu003wliu003
    Is it an alert/mean bark or a high pitched playful one? Kelly does the high pitched playful one when she wants attention. I usually ignore her because she bothers me at the worst times. But sometimes it could mean that she has to use the restroom, so if she continues to bark after a few minutes i usually let her out.
  • ZinjaZinja
    lol thats like sasuke... but Sasuke bites. First I suggest you keep him on a leash while he is not in his crate. This will keep him close by and you can use the leash to guide him off. Saying "ouch" doesn't really work on older dogs. If he nips, use your "too bad" command, turn your body, use the leash to keep him from nipping, count to 10, then resume play. As for him getting you when you reach, try your hardest to read him to avoid that. He is only getting practice, and we dont want him to perfect it.
  • honestly the situation does not sound that severe.

I would bet that not indulging your dog with attention will resolve it very easily.
  • KFontaine04KFontaine04
    Sake started doing this a few months back. She would just walk up and bark to be a jerk. I would leave the room as JessicaRabbit said and she figured it out pretty quickly. Now when she wants attention she comes up and sits next to me or if she has to go out she sits next to the door.
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    This happened with our Tsuki, too. Except when she barked, she'd also try to nip at sleeves or hands for attention. Not giving her attention for her antics really paid off because now she - like Sake - will just come and lean on my leg for attention. They learn very fast.

When he gets this way, and once he calms down from your attention, or just calms down in general - do you have a chew he can work on if he's that bored/frustrated?
    Post edited by tsukitsune at 2009-03-31 11:32:56
  • Bringing this back from the dead with a similar issue. Winston is nearing 9 months, and up until now he's been pretty well, behaved - with the expected shiba stubbornness. But this recent habit has us stressed out a bit and flummoxed as to what to do.

He is allowed on the couch, and up till now would usually sit beside us or sit on top of the couch behind our head.

Recently, he has started coming up to Will and nipping and biting at his legs and feet, then barking loudly and (as far as I can tell) meanly? Like he will growl and bark, with a bit of speaking peppered in?

He also has started jumping up onto the top part of the couch and barking and growling in Wills ear, until Will gets up off the couch.

We've gone through the common reasons and he can't need to go potty, he's been fed, and his water bowl is full. So why is he doing this?

In addition, he only does this to Will, and has only tried it with me a couple times I can remember, which is even more strange.

We use all positive methods, and Uh-uh just gets him more riled up, so we are kind of at a loss. Do you guys have any advice on how to combat this behavior, or what he could be trying to tell us? We want to nip this in the bud early if possible, and it seems to be a common shiba trait.

Thanks in advance. I tried linking a video but who knows if it worked.

https://video-atl1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xpa1/v/t42.1790-2/11654506_1630818843830750_1494749935_n.mp4?efg=eyJxZSI6InZpZGVvX2FkdmVydGlzZXJzXzIwMTUwNTIwLDIwMTUwNDAxIn0=&oh=2d36db6fee4f733378149b0fb257f909&oe=55876800
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    @Shiba_Surprise

Looks like Winston is really starting to test the boundaries and may be exhibiting some resource guarding behavior. Could I ask who he is most bonded to, you or Will? Who feeds him more, plays with him more, trains him more, that sort of thing.

One thing you can try to take note of is where or when he starts exhibiting the nipping behavior. Does it happen in a certain part of the house, right after eating, walking, etc.

You'll probably need to go back to step 1 and redirect his nipping behavior with treats or a toy. If it doesn't work, then a timeout should happen until he calms down. In your video, it looks like he's claiming his space on top of the couch and may want Will out of it. My suggestion is to get him off the couch or any furniture he could potentially guard. Teach him the off command and if you really do want him on the furniture, teach him that he is only allowed up until you say so. To also minimize any nips or biting that could occur while correcting him, use a drag lead instead of using your hands.

This might sound funny, but your Uh Uh! has a more playful tone than a serious one. There's no correction tied to it either so he may not see a reason to really listen to it. I use Ack Ack! which is similiar but it's loud/sharp followed by a command so my dogs know I mean some serious business lol
  • @Nikkitine (It's actually Will in the video, but I'll pass that along)

He pretty much only does it when Will is sitting in that one spot on the couch. It generally occurs most around midnight to 2am, although he does it occasionally in the daytime.

It happens on top of the couch, but occasionally he will stay on the floor and attack Will's legs/feet. Related? Or something else?

He is most bonded to Will - we planned it that way since he will be the one taking care of him for the next 15 years. He feeds him, walks him, and Winston sleeps in his crate. We both do training, but I think Will is also in the lead there.

It's such a shame, he had such good couch behavior until now! We will try all that - thanks for the advice!
    Post edited by Shiba_Surprise at 2015-06-21 22:31:51
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    @Shiba_Surprise

Hmm, I wonder now if it's just him being a brat and wanting Will's attention for play. Tali would get restless until just before bedtime to get us or Nala to play with her. She likes saving her Shiba500s for then as well. When that happens, it's into her crate she goes for sleepytime.

If it only occurs on/near the couch, I'd still suspect spatial guarding. But ban him from the couch from now on and see if that might help. Good luck! =)
  • sunyatasunyata
    It sounds like Winston is bored. Try upping his exercise and mental stimulation and see if that helps.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • JuniJuni
    I know you are students and haven't got the same sleeping pattern as me, but to me it sounds like midnight til two am is definitely a time of day, well night, when puppies should be sleeping.... If not- an over tired puppy can be a handful. What is a normal day for him in terms of sleep,naps and when he is awake, what type of activities does he get?
  • It's summer break, so our sched is a bit strange. We usually wake up around 2pm or so, and then bedtime is around 2am.

Winston naps most of the day away in the living room, so it figures he'd get cranky around then.

Summer courses just started for Will, so now things should be closer to normal (10am to midnight or so)

We figured he just might be bored- we'll try more excersize so he gets sleepy when he needs to be. Thanks guys so far!
  • sunyatasunyata
    ACK! I missed the whole 2 am thing. That is WAY too late for a puppy to be up. Perhaps you guys should either adjust your schedules or put Winston to bed at a normal hour. (And by bed, I mean crate... and by normal hour, I mean 10 pm.)

But either way, up his exercise during the day too. That way, if you do end up putting him to bed instead of adjusting your schedule (oh, to be a kid again and sleep until 2 pm!), he is tired and will easily fall asleep.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • @Sunyata Our scheduales will adjust with classes starting (today), but if we find that we are still up late, we'll start putting him to bed earlier. I guess we just figured he'd adjust as long as we all woke up late, but I guess thats pretty not correct.

(This shouldn't be an issue if our scheduale gets adjusted, but in the same strain vvv)

He gets really whiny and screamy if he's in his crate (in Wills room) and we are in the living room at night. (We tried putting him to bed a couple times in the past) Like drastically so. We think he hates going to sleep alone. Should we ignore this or do something else?
    Post edited by Shiba_Surprise at 2015-06-22 14:36:34
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    I remember those days...up at noon and in bed after 2am. Even though it is working for you now, it's not an ideal schedule for a dog.

They are creatures of habit and if it continues, Winston will eventually not budge on his routine. The issue with that is that he will potentially live 10-14 years and that would no longer be an ideal schedule when you are in your 30's with a steady job. Trust me, I've been there.

On staying up late - we still do some days but there are a couple beds for Kira in each room so she just sleeps in the den then comes with us when we go to the bedroom.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
    Post edited by Kira_Kira at 2015-06-22 14:43:40
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    Like @Kira_Kira, we have multiple beds (like 3 in each room because I'm obsessed with dog beds...) all over the house for our dogs, and they just plop down in them when they're tired. They'll sometimes go into the bedroom themselves to sleep when it gets too late. We go to bed around 1:30-2am too, but the dogs have adapted to our schedule pretty well. They know when it's bedtime when we start turning everything off and taking them out for one last potty break. They'll all go to their own bed/crate right afterwards. Tali has learned from the other dogs too and goes right into her crate when we say "Bedtime", and gets a small treat for going in.

If Tali is left in her crate alone, she will whine for a little bit, but settles down relatively quickly. If Winston is screaming his head off with no sign of stopping, I think some separation anxiety training needs to be added to the list or it can get worse as time goes on. It will help a lot in the future if you ever need to leave him alone for a longer period of time.
  • AntoinetteAntoinette
    Quake started resource guarding his treats and/or toys after his neuter. If I happened to walk into the bedroom after he had eaten his treat or I walked next to a favorite toy, he would try to nip at my feet. I immediately corrected him with "ack, ack" and a time out of about 2 minutes. I would say "ack ack", put my hands on my hips and a frown on my face, and walk out of the room and close the door and not come back until after two minutes. As soon as I came back I would ask him in a sweet voice if he was ready to be a good boy and he would wag his tail and be sweet. He learned really fast that he should not nip at my feet. Now I can tell sometimes he is just about to go for my feet and he self-corrects in that he grabs one of his toys instead or licks my feet instead. I then praise him and tell him what a wonderful boy he is, pet him, and talk to him really sweetly.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)