For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Funny observation in my neighborhood… Shiba-Central!?
  • maxwellsmaxwells
    We were counting the Shiba’s in my neighborhood (Printer’s Row, Chicago) and found that we have one representative of each Shiba colorization I know of. My husband and I ticked off each color that found that we knew them each by name too! We have a traditional red (Kitsu), seasame (Maya), pinto (Sonja), cream (Misty), traditional black and tan (Harley), and a tri-color or red headed black and tan (my little Ichiro).

Pretty nifty! Am I missing any?

(here's some quick spam of Ichiro and his Dad reading together on the big leather chair.)Jenn & Stephen (humans), Ichiro & Akira (shibas), Abraham & Anya (cats)
  • RyuRyu
    how neat!!
  • maxwellsmaxwells
    The funny thing is those are the only shibas I've seen... Like we planned it and everyone got one of each!Jenn & Stephen (humans), Ichiro & Akira (shibas), Abraham & Anya (cats)
  • we have a seasame boy, and a creamie girl in our complex. I met someone today at work who owns to shibas. It's a shiba world after all.
  • I was curious about your shiba Ichiro, I just got a puppy, whos mother was a red headed black and tan, and was told my someone on this forum I should not buy the puppy becuase there are health risks. I would love to hear from you about your red headed black and tan shiba! Thank you!
  • sunyatasunyata
    @taylorntobin - You really should read through the threads I posted in your introduction thread regarding finding a responsible and reputable breeder. It is not necessarily health risks because of the mis-marking of the dog, it is an issue because a breeder that is not breeding to better the Shiba breed by breeding to standard and doing genetic health tests is more likely to produce a dog that has health or behaviour issues. There is a TON of information here on the forum regarding breed standards, breeders, and what happens when someone gets a dog from a less than reputable source that has health or behaviour issues.

Look into it. Read the threads. And make the decision that is best for you and your family.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • jennjenn
    @taylorntobin It's not that there are health risks associated with the colorization, it is that red-headed black and tans tend to come from backyard breeders or puppy mills and not breeders of merit because they are a mismark. If you follow any Shiba rescues, you will see the multitude of health risks associated with supporting BYBs or Puppy mills who breed without much care to health (luxating patella, eye problems, thyroid disease, allergies, etc are much more common among mill dogs).
    Jenn, Shiba Slave to Rigby / http://hellorigby.com
  • jennjenn
    ha, crossposted with @sunyata.
    Jenn, Shiba Slave to Rigby / http://hellorigby.com
  • @sunyata Yes I have been reading through a lot of threads on the site since you informed me about the coloring, the breeder I am purchasing the dog through doesnt seem to me to be a terrible byb, but it does concern me to see her breeding a dog that is not up to the shiba breed standard. Since we do get our puppy in less than a week I feel like we should go through with it since we have already fallen in love with him. I was just curious to talk to another owner with a red headed black and tan shiba and to see there prerspective on it. Im sure I will love Kiba mismarked or not, since we are not looking to show any of our companion dogs. I am going to talk to the breeder tomorrow in person, and bring this all up, on the other hand she has been taking great care of the puppies, has been very nice about sending pictures almost every other day, and seems to be doing the correct steps when taking care of new born puppies, and feeds her dogs a high quality dog food (which to me, makes it seem like she does care about the health of the dog), but Im still concerned about the mismarking. Thanks again, hope I am not creating any waves.
    Post edited by taylorntobin at 2014-05-22 18:17:26

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)