For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
  • Darwin67Darwin67
    I've never really felt the need for pet insurance..and knock on wood, I've never had an experience where I've said...god, I wish I had it. Call it getting older (dealing w/ my aches and pains) and now having kids that I'm thinking that this go round I will want to invest in Pet Insurance, so I'm just curious as to if any of you have/purchased Health Insurance, if you have used it and if so what has your experience been with it...any suggestions you might have would be very welcome!
  • sujewelsujewel
    I had VPI, but didn't have a good experience with one of my claims, so I switched to Shelter Care, which I'm pretty happy with.
  • ljowen123ljowen123
    I know Dave has it, but he's on vacation right now - I'm sure he'll respond when he gets back.
    LJ - owned by Queen Jazz, a Shiba Inu, Atlanta, GA
    CSC_0144
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    We use Care Credit (health insurance used for people, but looks like it can be used for animals too). Not exactly health insurance but good for last minute health-related emergencies.

Jesse
  • LJ is right, I do have VPI for both Lucy and Joey. I've had mixed experiences with them. It's a bit of a crap shoot if they will pay or not, but every little bit helps. Before I bought the policies, I did a LOT of research comparing the different companies. Every company has a different "angle." It's a lot like car insurance in that sense. Each company picks a specific type of risk they plan to focus on and structure their policies for those types of drivers. In pet insurance, they do the same things, but the "risks" are of a different sort. For example, some cover cancer, some don't. Some have annual limits, some have lifetime limits. etc.

I commented in a thread more than a year ago about health insurance here. You might find that useful. As always, feel free to ask any questions. I'd be happy to try to answer them if I can.
  • Darwin67Darwin67
    Thank you very much for all the input! I read the lengthy post from a year ago and see a lot of well thought out points from everyones persepective, which really helps.

I'm definately leaning towards VPI. As noted, insurance sucks...whenever life and profits collide...well, we know who usually wins that fight!
  • ZinjaZinja
    I use VPI. It's pretty good because it covers 90% of the exams (as long as it's covered). If my dog or cat eats chocolate for example, that will be covered and they will cover most of the procedure. Their claim office is also getting pretty fast. A few years ago, I had to wait 3 months or so to get my claim (they said they were understaffed) but now it'll take 3 weeks only.

What are the rates on other companies? VPI is $25 a month for puppies, and when they are over 3 years old, the price increases (not sure to what though). Kittens are $18 and $22 for older cats.
  • I have VPI but just for the first year. After that I set up a savings account and just put the money I would have spent on VPI in there as a "just in case my Shiba does something crazy" fund. We already had a pretty sizable savings in there before we got Sake so now Im sure we have enough to cover an emergency (god forbid).
  • I'm actually exploring insurance plans now... VPI looks the best thus far but I can't seem to find if they cover HW or not..

p.s. if you ever need to know whether or not they'll cover heartworm treatments, they do not. It falls under breed restrictions of "diagnosis and treatment of internal or external parasites". And they won't enroll a dog with a preexisting condition that is a coverage restriction. But they will cover preventatives.

there are a lot of brick walls today!
    Post edited by tsukitsune at 2009-02-20 14:26:38
  • ZinjaZinja
    Oh really? Sasuke had worms (round, hook, tape) when I first brought him in and they dewormed him and I was reimbursed the money. Not sure about Heartworm though.

As for meds: Sasuke has a $50 limit of either heartworm or flea/tick a year... which kinda sucks.

Kristin: that's a great idea! 25x12 is $300 a year... that's pretty insane IMHO.
  • Darwin67Darwin67
    So, they basically cover a three month supply of advantage??
  • Joe: What dewormer did they use and what diagnosis did they put down? VPI has a schedule of fees that the will reimburse from. If you vet gives you the magic words, they will pay. If not, they won't. Parasites are excluded from VPIs policies (at least the ones they sell in GA). I'm also not sure where you get the $50 limit from. Is that for the well puppy coverage? The well puppy coverage from VPI is an add on to the normal policy that covers things like spay/neuter, annual blood work, heartworm preventative, etc.
  • Yeah Joe, it just makes more sense for us to do it that way. We put away $30 per month per dog so it's $720 per year, plus the savings we already had from before.
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
    Resurrecting an old thread.

I have Pet Plan. I originally was going to get VPI but they were more expensive (appx $150/month for my two dogs) and once they heard that I was trying to insure a 10 year old dog they refused to offer anything but the most bare minimum of insurance (which was pretty much useless) Also, they have set limits on various ailments, which would be good in most cases, but in the event of a chronic issue you'll end up being out of pocket on a lot.

With PetPlan I just have a flat limit of $8k in coverages per dog, per year. Routine care and pre-existing conditions are excluded, but oddly enough they do cover hereditary conditions (which was a big plus for me because I was also insuring my parents 10 year old lab, who is at risk of joint issues)

So I'm out of pocket on check ups, and stuff like that. Apparently, neutering is not covered either. But if either dog gets sick I know it's only going to cost me $50 out of pocket and the rest should be covered.

I've got Bruce and my parents Lab covered for about $100/month total. But I opted for the smallest deductible ($50) and highest percent reimbursement (100%) so this is on the upper echelon of the price scale.

I've not yet had a chance to use it. So I can't attest to the speed of reimbursement etc.

But I figured that at $100/month, it'd take me about 13 years of saving to amass 8k for each dog... and my parents lab realistically only has 3-4 years left.

For Bruce it might be more cost effective to just put the money in a savings account since he's just a puppy, and has a longer life expectancy. But all it would take is 1 large incident for that to change.

For me, an 8k medical bill without insurance would be staggering and would be cause for consideration of putting the pet down.

I never want to be in that situation, so insurance is a must for me. I want the peace of mind to know that if something terrible happens that cost won't have to be as large of a factor in my pets treatment.
    Bruce Billis | Red-Sesame Shiba Inu | DOB: 11/12/2011 | Southern California - Irvine
    Post edited by BruceBillis at 2012-03-23 12:05:24
  • sunyatasunyata
    @BruceBillis - Please update us if you ever do have to file a claim with them... I am curious to know how the reimbursement actually works. Thanks!
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • shibahiroshibahiro
    @BruceBilis: Did you look into HealthyPawsInsurance? They have pretty good plans and you can pick the type of deductible...
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
    @sunyata

I was actually thinking of just submitting "every" medical expense I incur to the insurance so I'll probably be posting updates on this soon.

Having worked in insurance (not pet insurance) for about 10 years I know how intricate insurance policies can be, and saw a decent amount of people that didn't use their coverages to their utmost potential because they assumed certain things weren't covered.

I figure there's no disadvantage to filing a claim, if they deny something I didn't expect to be covered then it's no big deal, but if they pay on something that I didn't expect reimbursement on then it's a win for me :)

Plus it'd give me a chance to see what their response time, cust service, etc are like.

I'm curious does anyone else have any experience with PetPlan? Were they any good? strict on denials? etc.
    Bruce Billis | Red-Sesame Shiba Inu | DOB: 11/12/2011 | Southern California - Irvine
  • cli6cli6cli6cli6
    I just enrolled in trupanion. My friend swears by it. The people r really helpful. His dog had to have an X-ray done and it was $750 and they covered 90% of it.
  • Kip is insured through embrace. I just sent in a claim, let's see how this goes!
  • InoushiInoushi
    Do you have to pay out of pocket first, then they reimburse?
  • KibaInuKibaInu
    ya
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
    Ok update on "PetPlan" insurance.

I submitted a claim for an allergen test and it was denied.
    I can live with the denial, but in my lengthy conversation with the insurance I discovered something that is unacceptable in my book.

PetPlan evaluates claims based on SYMPTOMS not the vets DIAGNOSIS.

That is a HUGE issue that enables PetPlan to deny a vast array of claims.

Any symptoms expressed prior to the activation of your policy are considered pre-existing, and any one isolated symptom can be associated with a huge variety of ailments.

So for example, in my situation Bruce exhibited a type of hair loss prior to the activation of the policy. Hair loss is one (of many) symptoms exhibited by dogs with allergies. Regardless, that one symptom was sufficient for PetPlan to claim that allergies were a pre-existing condition and not eligible for coverage.

They can use this same loophole to deny a completely different issue such as thyroid problems. Thyroids and Allergies are completely different ailments, yet both can be denied based off of the presence of the one symptom.

PetPlan claimed that their unique assessment method is beneficial to their insureds.
    Their argument is that other pet insurance policies that base their reviews off of the vets diagnosis are able to deny claims submitted for unidentified ailments.

I'm assuming they're referring to VPI, which allocates specific dollar amounts for various ailments in the policy. (I.e. they cover up to 200/year for kennel cough, 1000/year for broken limbs, etc.) Allegedly, if you were to submit a claim for a mystery disease that the vet is unable to diagnose they can deny the claim.

It's a fair argument on their part, but when it comes down to it I don't know if having to choose the lesser of two evils is really the best way to go.

After bringing up my concerns with the shortcomings of the policy PetPlan offered to complete a review of Bruce's medical records after which they would provide me with a detailed list of ailments that would be excluded from coverage.

I was pleased... but then they said it would take anywhere between 60-90 days to complete the review. What a joke. I'd have to pay for 2-3 more months of premiums just to find out what would or would not cover? I understand that they have to review records... but I've ordered copies of the records for myself. There's only 12 pages of handwritten S.O.A.P. notes from the vet. That would only take a couple of minuets to read through. An underwriter should be able to read through this and generate the list same day.

I've worked in insurance for 10 years, and I understand that it takes time to respond to a customers request, but even then a response should go out in a couple of days or a week at most, but months? No.

I hate to say this, after having worked in insurance for so long I've always been an advocate of it. But with regards to pet insurance I feel that the best option may just be putting money I spend on the policy each month into a "just in case" jar.
    Post edited by BruceBillis at 2012-05-03 23:15:08
  • KitsuKitsu
    I'd put it into a just in case jar. It only takes one thing to cost a lot of money, but it costs a lot of money per month just to have a plan. That money could be better spent put into a jar or caring for your dog. And to get luxating patella part of the insurance it costs a lot more as well >< Maybe if I had a lot of extra cash then I'd get it.
  • notoriousscratnotoriousscrat
    That's interesting that you feel that way Kitsu because I suspect our situations are somewhat similar and we opted to go with pet insurance. It's only about $350 a year for Zim and we found we could come up with that easily all in one go, but we thought we'd have a really hard time coming up with thousands all at once on short notice if God forbid he ever got hit by a car or something. It was less about it being cheaper than about knowing the money would always be there if we needed it. I'm not sure it actually will be cheaper---so far, at least, the little one has had no need of it. Only normal vet visits and one case of parasites that cost us less than our $100.

@BruceBillis: Your post has made me very glad that we got Zim's insurance immediately. Now there are no symptoms that they can claim are pre-existing.
  • FoxyloverFoxylover
    I've also been and am in the insurance industry for over 20 yrs. now and I got insurance on Foxy before I even got her home from the breeder. Great way to not have to wait for the 14 day waiting period (0:

It was a good thing I did too with all the stuff that was wrong with her. I probably spent 3k on her just the first year and like Brucebills, I submitted every visit to them. Some they denied which I expected but at least it's on the record. Also, I have Pets Best and really didn't wait long for any of my claims to be reimbursed. If they ever had a question, they got it from the Vet right away and then agreed to pay my claim.

I'm of the old saying, it's better to be safe than sorry. Heck I'm probably one of the only ones out there that still carry a $250 ded. on my auto insurance just because if something ever happens, I want to be sure I have the $$, 250 is easier than 500.
    Photobucket
  • MayamaMayama
    I kind of regret not getting pet insurance for Maya right when we got her. Now with her allergies as pre-existing condition, I don't know whether it's worth getting or not. On the other hand, we just spent $$$ fixing her tooth, but I realized most insurance won't cover that anyways (they only cover the cost for extraction). If we do have insurance at that time, it might have made it harder for us to decide whether to save the tooth or not.

If I do get another puppy, I will 100% get him/her insurance from day one, like @Foxylover.
    Shiba Inu Maya's blog and FB page
  • KitsuKitsu
    Well, I'd get pet insurance if I had the money. But on a college budget, 20-50 dollars a month is kinda of hard. When i get older and have more money I'd probably get insurance.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @Kitsu - If $20 - $50 a month is kind of hard, how are you going to be able to afford to feed your puppy or deal with any kind of medical crisis, including routine shots and spay/neuter visits?
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
    I forgot to mention it in my post, but if I were to do it again I would get pet insurance like Foxylover & Mayama (before the pet even comes home). Then no issues with pre-existing denials.

I've been kicking myself over it... I knew that I should get pet insurance but I dragged my feet for too long :(
  • LeoJDHuLeoJDHu
    Bruce - why not switch to another insurance? I use VPI and find that it is very straight forward with respects to what they will pay and what they won't pay.

I am an internal auditor and my primary client is in the health insurance industry. I have reviewed their responses to all my claim submissions and found them to be in alignment with what they stated to me up front.

My only complaint is they take a bit (~2 weeks between processing and refund) to process your claims but that isn't too big of a deal.
    Leo "JD" Hu | Cream Shiba Inu | DOB: 8/19/2011 | Southern California - LA/OC

New to DoggyLoot.com? Sign up and get $5 to spend! https://doggyloot.com/invite/f6c292
    New to Wag.com? Sign up and use coupon code "DANW1122" to get 20% off your first order!
  • KitsuKitsu
    @Sunyata , I do have a savings account for emergencies, whether they be emergencies for the dog or for me or for whatever it's needed for. So I do have money, I just don't want to withdraw money from that account for insurance when money might be needed for something else. If I do run out of money my mother would help me out if I asked. Also, routine shots and spay/neuter aren't medical crises. I already have money set aside for both of those things as well. I'm not some unprepared person buying a Shiba because they're cute. I'm in it for the long haul, but for now insurance isn't really a viable option for me. Also, I most likely will get insurance when I graduate. My vet told me that insurance isn't too big of a deal at puppy stages or for the first year or two because major problems that would cost a lot of money tend to arise when the puppy is older than that. This may or may not be true , but even if it's not it still wouldn't be a viable option. Sorry if I seem snarky, it just sounds like you are questioning whether I can provide for my Shiba.
  • FoxyloverFoxylover
    Kitsu, the only problem I see with you waiting and getting insurance later is if there is something wrong with your pup later on down the line most insurance carriers will not cover it as it would be considered a pre-existing condition.

Obviously the choice is yours to make. I and others just put this stuff out there so that people can make an informed decision about things they may not have considered.

Hopefully your pup will be completely healthy and have no problems. Only time will tell.
    Photobucket
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    I have hartville, and I have only the trauma/injury coverage. It's all I can afford--with three dogs, I just don't have the money to cover them more. This coverage is $50 a month for all three, but like I said, only covers injuries. I'm a bit dubious about how well it will work, so thought of canceling it, but then Bel got bit through the fence (again) and so I submitted a claim on that, even though after my 100$ deductible (per dog) I won't get a lot back. They were quick to say the got the forms, so we'll see what happens next. This is a pretty clear cut case that should be covered: if it's not, I'm canceling it on everyone.

I'll probaby submit Oskar's last vet bill, too, even though it is not technically an injury. Might as well try--the worst case is they'll say no.

I get Kitsu's point about the premiums being hard though--if we save the money for emergencies, at least it is saved--the insurance premiums always seem kind of like a waste to me, because so often they just won't pay (based on my experience with other insurance, not pet insurance).

That said, I wish I'd had insurance when Bel attacked Toby. Would have been nice to have someone else pay that $4,000 bill.
    Yeah, I've never had much of a problem with insurance paying. Usually my biggest beef is how much they pay out, but that has to do with the fact that the University is how I get my insurance and their deductible and out-of-network coverage is not what I would have chosen. That said, given all that they pay out how I would expect them to. Personally, I'm pretty confident that the insurance will pay out when I expect it to. I've read through the entirety of my contract pretty thoroughly and because Zim has had insurance since 6 weeks old, there's nothing they can call pre-existing, which is what I have found is the way that most insurance companies use to avoid claims. The only other thing that aren't covered are normal care, which includes parasites, and his knees until he hits 6 months old unless I were to get them certified to be okay (which is an option). Moreover, I have no problem arguing with people in order to get my way when my reading of the contract means I should be right. Frankly, a lot of people hear that I'm a law student and that my dad's a lawyer and they just get scared I'll sue unless they happen to have an arbitration clause in their contract, which Zim's insurance does not (heck, they don't even have a forum selection clause---their in-house counsel should be fired). I do promise I don't constantly go around implying I'll sue though (I hate people who constantly threaten to sue). :D

I do understand premiums being hard though. My mom can't afford pet insurance. If something happens to her cats, she pays for it, but it means pulling money out of the stock market and she really needs to be leaving money in because otherwise she's taking out at a loss (market tanked after she put money in). For her not having to pay out the money unless absolutely necessary is what makes sense. For us, we get really poor over the summer and any pet emergency might clean us out. We can't really save enough to cover possible emergencies, but the $350 to get coverage wasn't a problem---and in contrast the $350 saved would do us no good if something happened to him now. We only have the one dog though---and I will note that despite thinking about it, I never got pet insurance for my rats. It never seemed cost effective.

Also, @BruceBillis, I would switch insurance too, given your situation. Unfortunately, they've written their policy on the pre-existing symptoms in a very broad way. Still, giving you a list of what will be excluded is at least nice and up-front.
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
    @notoriousscrat,

I have thought about switching insurance, just not sure which company to go with. I haven't cancelled yet because I still feel like the second I cancel something terrible will happen.

@LeoJDHu,

I did consider VPI, but they were more expensive (appx $150/month for 2 dogs vs. $110/month), and I was concerned about their effectiveness with chronic ailments (like allergies). Although, it seems like allergies will forever be considered pre-existing, so that may be a mute point now.

I insure Bruce and my parents 10 yr old Lab, who VPI essentially refused to insure because of his age. They offer a Senior Plan, but it's pretty much useless.

I may switch to VPI for Bruce and just cancel the insurance on my parents Lab all together, since it doesn't seem like there are any plans that offer reasonable insurance for older dogs.
  • KibaInuKibaInu
    **Post edited by admin to remove content.
    Post edited by sunyata at 2012-05-06 11:18:03
    And if someone finds out about it then you're guilty of mail fraud, which is a federal felony. I wouldn't suggest it.
  • KitsuKitsu
    Eh, it's only a federal offense :P *sarcasm*
  • PhantomPhantom
    So, the key for these insurances are try to get them before your pets are diagnosed with something. Am I understanding this correctly?
    Or show symptoms of it in the case of Petplan. But, yes, it's basically the same as human insurance, pre-existing conditions are not covered.
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
    @Phantom,

Yes, get the insurance before your pet has any issues. With PetPlan they want your pets past 2 years of medical records. So if you're pets been healthy for that long then you should be ok.

And I'd recommend taking your pet in as soon as you enact the policy for a physical exam to establish a baseline, and be sure to tell the vet that its for the insurance and you need everything documented in detail. I did this for my parents lab, but was unaware how much detail would be needed, so I had to take him in again to have the vet address specifics for the insurance.

I.e. joint health, the vet needs to write a note, or establish it very clearly in the medical record that there are absolutely no joint problems with your pet. If this is not done within the first 30 days (with PetPlan) they will deny any joint related problems that arise within the first 6 months of the enactment of the policy as pre-existing. After which the claim is still subject to the review and evaluation of the pet plan adjusters...
  • PhantomPhantom
    Wow. It's almost like car insurance, where they'll try to do whatever it takes NOT to pay...
  • shibamistressshibamistress
    We have Hartville, just for accidents. I can't recommend it. I sent in all the info. for Bel after she was attacked by dogs through the fence. Our bill was $160 which is extraordinarily inexpensive (our vet is cheap, even for our area). $100 deductible, ok. But they only paid $30 on the rest because they said the charges were above what is normal. I know from going to another vet yesterday that our regular vet charges about 1/3 to 1/2 what other local vets charge. So if they won't pay all of the fees on our regular vet, they are pretty much useless to us.

I will be canceling the coverage. I pay $35 a month for three dogs (just accident as I said) but have been paying for two years to get $30 covered? Not worth it.
  • shibahiroshibahiro
    my pet insurance (healthy paws)....apparently they only cover reconstruction of upper and lower "canine" teeth. not all. i think that is messed up. why only those specific ones???
  • FoxyloverFoxylover
    Just another plug for insurance for those of you who are still debating. I continue to keep Wellness on Foxy's plan and took her in a couple days ago for her yearly shots, the bill was $407.00 due to the Vet thinking that she may have a thyroid problem and did a blood panel work up on her as well as the shots. This was Wed. I submitted the bill/claim form on Thurs. and already got a e-mail that they processed my claim and are reimbursing me $205.00. I'll take 1/2 over nothing any day.

Thank goodness her Thyroid came back normal but the Vet was concerned about the amount of Red Blood Cells in her urine so wanted to do a culture on that, now that was another $119.00 which I'll be submitting another claim for. They pay up to 80% on that. Hopefully it ends up being nothing. She seems fine and isn't acting any differently but with her history, I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    Photobucket
  • KentaKenta
    We have pet insurance for all our animals (2 dogs and 1 cat). We did it because they are all young and everything can happen (they can get sick, injured etc) and of course they have their yearly shots etc so we thought it'd better to have them insured.
  • BruceBillisBruceBillis
    @Kenta,

You're probably already aware, but typically pet insurance plans do not cover routine shots or any other types of preventative health care. If they do it is usually only as an additional benefit like the "Wellness Coverage" offered by VPI or the "Optimum Wellness Plan" with Banfield, etc. The "Wellness" plans typically only offer a minimal amount of cost savings, if any at all, since the "risk" for the insurer is essentially guaranteed as the coverage is for routine care.

I have this on one of my pets, but it is not so much for cost savings, but rather as a way of me distributing the cost of care over a greater span of time. (It's easier to pay 12 monthly payments than 1 lump sum)
  • KibaInuKibaInu
    @Foxylover

How much are you paying for wellness coverage? What kind of coverage do you have on that? You said your bill was 400 but not sure if that includes things covered and not covered.
  • FoxyloverFoxylover
    @KibaInu

I use Pet's Best Ins. The total with Wellness comes out to $57.00 a month. You can pull them up on line and compare what's covered and what isn't.
    Photobucket
  • Has anyone had any experience with AKC pet heathcare plan? My puppy is currently on their complimentary 60-day trial healthcare plan
  • knnwangknnwang
    I opened another savings account and do a auto transfer of $50 per month on the 15th. Had it since I bought Ratchet about a year & a half ago. Didn't use it for his puppy vaccination or to get him fixed or his last annual check up since I had enough in my regular checking. I call it the emergency pet account. Wish I started it with my 1st pet back when I was younger.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)