For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Dog food guidelines and how much to feed
  • RomiRomi
    OK - so I have a questions about how much to feed. When I was working a full time job - I would attempt to feed the pups 2x a day - but they would just pick at their breakfast or sometimes not touch it at all. But they would always finish their dinner and I would add what they didn't eat for breakfast to their dinner. Well for the past 2-3 months I noticed that every morning they would eat all their breakfast plus eat all their dinner.

Portia is very small @ 33 lbs. and Ninja is at 21.5 lbs. However - Ninja looks kind of skinny - not starving skinny or amaciated or anything...just skinny (brad - a lot like Maui). Same with Portia - she is at a good weight for her size...but she seems kind of skinny too. So i'm curious to know if it would be a bad idea to up their intake. They are pretty active - They get their daily walks and also get playtime together all day everyday. I am also wondering - since I have been working from home - if that has anything to do with it. I'm not sure what they did when I was gone for 8 hours a day, but it seems that they started looking more skinny after I started working from home.

Right now I am feeding Portia by EVO dog food guidelines and going on the high side which is 1 3/4 cups a day - so I give her 3/4 cup in the morning and 1/2 cup kibble 1/2 cup dehydrated raw at night.

For Ninja I am feeding him on the same guidlines which is 1 1/2 cups a day - so I give him 1/2 cup in the morning and 1/2 cup kibble and 1/2 cup dehydrated raw in the evening.

I am thinking about adding 1/4 cup to their daily intake...what do you guys think?

They haven't gained any weight from when they started eating their breakfast from when they were not...actually they lost a little weight. Ninja used to weigh 23 lbs. and Portia weighed 35 lbs. I am wondering if I am giving them too active of a lifestyle and not feeding them enough! They both still seem a little hungry after they eat all their dinner - like looking for more and going back and forth to their bowls.
  • dlrobertsdlroberts
    I think most manufacturers suggest feeding more than is necessary. Being a little on the skinny side is desirable. My vet always says "heroine chic is in".

How much exercise do they get? Lucy and Joey average 1:15-1:30 minutes a day, which classifies them as 'active" according to most manufacturer's guidelines I've read. For Joey, feeding the upper end of the suggested amount was too much and I've had to scale back a bit. Lucy is tough to tell because her ability to digest food changes depending on IBD flareups so I'm constantly tweaking her food intake to try to keep up with it.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to how you feel about your dogs. If they look too skinny to you, then add a little bit more food. 1/4 isn't so much extra food they are likely to get sick from it or rapidly gain weight. So if you do want them to put on a few pounds, that's probably a reasonable plan.
    Post edited by dlroberts at 2008-11-20 00:05:56
  • See if this helps, Romi.

http://www.mycockerspaniel.com/mer.htm

I started calculating the how much food I give Kuma bases on the caloric value instead of what the manufacturer says. I factor in the oil I add to his food (9 calories per gram) and the salmon oil pills. Also, since I leave him a Kong stuffed with kibble to play with (he destroyed the ball he had) I try to factor that in too in his daily intake.

Kuma lost a bit of weight when I changed him to Orijen (which has more calories than the Acana he was eating before). Nothing special, a bit less than half a pound. I suspect the high protein might be helping him burn some fat he might have, it looks like he has a thinner waist now. Haven't weighed him in a while, maybe this Sat I'll pass by the vet to have him weighed.
    Post edited by Leonberger at 2008-11-20 09:23:54
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Second what was said above. It's trendy and believed to be healthier to have skinny slightly underfed dogs. Also, dog food companies want you to feed more food so they can sell you more, and therefore recommend sometimes double or triple the portion sizes that I feel is appropriate given that most dogs are not active enough to burn the extra carbs. SciDiet and Iams prescription diets, for instance, will recommend 1+3/4 cups per day for a shiba sized dog for some of their diets (whereas I feed 2/3 cups per day tops of a grain free diet). Then the owners come in wanting a weight loss food because now the dog is, suprise, fat, so the owner then buys that companies version of a weight loss formula and the cycle is started. It's all a scam to get you to buy more of the cheaper brands or prescription foods."Common sense isn't so common"
  • starrystarry
    Hey, so my 10 week old shiba is 10 lbs and I am feeding him a four star dog food called Natural Balance. I feed him probably 1 1/2 cup to 2 cups a day, and I was looking at him the other day and was wondering if he was getting fat. He is very active, we let him run inside the house multiple times a day playing ball and what not till he is tired (he does not have all his parvo shots so we haven't taken him too far outside, they are coming up this week, so excited to take him walking)
    Anyway, I put the food in his bowl and leave it out most of the day and just refill when it empties. should i have scheduled feeding times morning and night and put away what he doesn't eat (like how it is done for fish) its been awhile since I had a puppy and I've forgotten most of what goes on
    here are pictures
    Post edited by Leonberger at 2008-11-23 06:11:44
  • starrystarry
    eh thats a bad picture
  • starrystarry
    okay that one is better, but here is another one anyway, sorry for the spam
  • dlrobertsdlroberts
    He doesn't look overly chubby to me. As puppies have growth spurts, they will thin out and then pump back up when they go through a slower growth period. I wouldn't worry about it at this point. I would, however, put him on an eating schedule. At 10 week sold, he should probably be eating 3-4 times a day. Its easiest to get him used to a schedule when he is young like this.
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    Schedule makes crate training and potty training easier. The dog knows when he's going out, when he's eating, and when he needs to sleep. I'm amazed your dog is 10lbs at 10 weeks because mine is 10lbs at 15 weeks. Then again, each puppy is different and I happen to believe that a fat pup is a healthy, happy pup :).

Jesse
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    It was easier for me to do 3 schedualed feedings (I don't recommend people to free feed, maybe except for a medical reason as an exception in a dog with cancer or something or a bitch in whelp). You want to know how much and how often the dog eats. Puppy food is rich and they can get fat on it. You will want to see a little tuck up at the belly and a little waist on a pup within reason (they should still be plump and fat everything), so he looks ok from the pictures."Common sense isn't so common"
    Post edited by lindsayt at 2008-12-01 12:24:51
  • starrystarry
    ya, sorry I missed calculated his age, he is 12 weeks
    and with scheduled feedings, do I put a lot and remove the remaining dog food after he eats what he can in one sitting? or do I only put a set amount 1 cup? and just have him finish it all and not give him more?
  • look on the bag of food you are seeing. It should say a certain amount for daily intake or amount per meal. If its daily, split it up into 3 sittings. Just put that amt in the bowl and when he's done he's done until his next feeding. Pups should eat about 3 x's daily.
  • Puppies are suppose to be nice, round and plump! I feed my puppies 2-3 times a day. Normally I just do mornings and evenings (x2 a day) and do a little snack inbetween for lunch (I make it into a training session).

Romi - For my dogs knibble feeding varies, I also feed the Evo Chicken and Turkey large bites. When Shoushuu was a pup, he got 2 1/2 cups a day (plus raw chicken wings). At a year of age he went down to 2 cups then 1 cup and now he is up to 1 1/2 cups a day. However much he eats is about how much I give him because he really isn't a big eater. He has had a very good appetite lately though - I'm so proud!

I use to feed Lynxiene about 2-2 1/2 cups a day but lately I've been feeding her 3-3 1/4 cups a day. And she is a BIG eater. I average feedings according to activity and weight with Lynx and Kei just however much he will eat, since again he is a very delicate eater.

I also will throw in a few raw chicken legs, thighs and wings every now and then. On ocassions a can of sardines each. I will then lessen the amount of knibble they consume though.

Go ahead and feed them their normal meals, add a bit more knibble if they are still hungry. Give them some raw chicken wings to snack on. Or if you aren't comfortable feeding raw (or perhaps they aren't accustomed to it and therefore do not eat it) then cook some chicken for treats to fill them up. Every so often I will cook eggs and then mash up the egg shells, mix the shells in with the cooked egg and then feed it to my dogs.

I know it sounds horrible (especially since I purposely buy Evo because it is "grain-free") but when I'm trying to put weight on Lynx, in addition to a few extra raw chicken legs and thighs...I'll feed her some bread and left over foods!!! I never feed left overs to Shoushuu unless it's cooked chicken, meat or fish. Lynx is my active garbage disposal -grins-.

I hoped I've helped!
    - Corina A. Gonzalez | Lynxiene (Belgian Malinois), Shoushuu, Kotomi & Shuran (Shikoku Ken). | Along with a Clan of cats!
  • Natural Balance recomends 1 cup a day for a 5-15lb dog so I would give him 1/3 of a cup three times a day. Also include any treats you have given him in that amount so say you gave him a ton of training treats at puppy class, you should reduce his dinner a little so that he doesn't eat to much. I wouldn't worry about it to much with a pup, they have great metabolisms. But an older dog you should watch their weight a little bit more.

Romi - If you really think they are getting thin then maybe you should up there food a bit however It is much better to have a thin dog than a dog that is a little overweight. Also you are home interacting with them all day so they are probabley up a bit more and not lounging around and sleeping as much as when you where gone.
  • CaliaCalia
    I know this hasn't been active in a while, but figured I'd mention this anyways.

If they are eating more, and losing weight, you should take a fecal to the vet to make sure there aren't any intestinal parasites. When I got my pups, he wasn't gaining as much as he should and started to look a little on the skinny side. The fecal results showed that he had round worm and hookworm. After two rounds of dewormer he started to plump up and have a healthier look about him. Worms are contagious between dogs, especially if they use the same area to relieve themselves. It doesn't hurt to check just in case
  • I think I've read everything on the forum about feeding and feeding guidelines and STILL can't provide an answer to how much I should be feeding our 7 month old girl Dakota. The bag of food offers a guideline of 1 - 1 1/4 cups a day. The breeder where we got her is adamant that she should be getting 1 and 1/2 cups a day. I've been feeding her 1 cup a day (divided into 3 feedings) I'm in the process of transitioning her from Pro Plan puppy food to Blue Buffalo puppy food, but just can't "get" how much she should be getting a day. She looks good, her coat is great, and she weighs in at about 14 1/2 lbs at 7 months. How do you ever know the right "amount" to feed your pup?
  • SayaSaya
    Saya as a pup ate a cup a day sometimes a bit more and sometimes less I also gave her caned sardines, mackerel, salmon, wet dog food as kibble topper. She also got a cooked egg once week too.

She ate a cup of wellness core ocean once she got on adult food as pup she ate wellness puppy.. She is now on raw diet so I dunno..

The guideline is just that you can follow the kibble's guideline and decrease if the pup is getting chunky or increase if the puppy is loosing weight. If worried you can add little bit of caned sardines, mackerel, and salmon Saya loves fish and it's good for dogs just get kind in water and I always drain water out before giving it to Saya..
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • Thanks!! I do supplement with sardines packed in Water, then drained.. She seems to love those as treats. She looks good (like the perfect weight to me) but the breeder insists she should get a cup and 1/2 a day. The vet says she is fine... I think I need to listen to the vet and you guys. :)
  • sunyatasunyata
    It all depends on your dog's metabolism, activity level, the type of food you are feeding, etc.

What I would suggest that you do, especially when transitioning, is to use the guidelines on the bag. If she seems to be loosing weight, feed her more, if she seems to be gaining, feed her less. It really is trial and error.

Bella, who is 6, gets a cup of food per day, split into two servings. She also gets training treats, the occasional bully stick or other chew, and some veggies/cheese on occasion. If she gets a treat such as salmon or sardines, then her food gets cut accordingly.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • So wasn't sure where to ask this but, riku NEVER eats all his food. I tried to feed servings in the amt on the bag. He eats taste of the wild, prairie for puppy and needs to be eating about 2 cups a day, I'm lucky if I can get him to eat 2. I put salmon oil on it in the morning and pb at night. Should I be concerned he is not getting all his nutrients? Or is this ok? I'm also thinking about maybe mixing it with some totw wet food? Or should I leave him be with the Amt he wants to eat?
  • SayaSaya
    How much does he eat each day? also how much does he weigh?

I feed raw now, but when on kibble Saya would leave some kibble too I just put it towards dinner in container and she ate it.

I do offer her kibble for low value treat and if she were to eat it as actual meals she'd just need 1 1/4 to 2 1/4 according to the guideline.. The kibble is fromm I like it's small size and have lots of variety to choose from so each small bag I change to different flavor.

Bella gets Totw as meals she loves it. Saya likes it too.

Most Shiba tend to be good elf regulators with eating. if your worried he's not getting enough then maybe add in some canned.

When Saya ate less as puppy I didn't worry as she did#2 OK and was active.

maybe he doesn't need what the guideline says?

Is he at a good weight not loosing any?
    Photobucket
  • @ChrystalWolf, I would only be concerned if when you look at Riku he appears underweight. If he appears to be a healthy weight, I wouldn't worry about him self regulating by not eating everything. The kibble guidelines are just that, it is not set in stone as each dog will vary.

I feed raw, but my picky eater who I sometimes feel concerned about when I can't get him to eat his organs, eats on the lower side of the raw percentages. If I feed him closer to 1% his ideal weight per meal he tends to eat more regularly (2% per day as we feed twice a day), if I feed closer to 1.25-1.5% (2.5%-3% per day) he starts to skip meals. In the end I watch his weight and so far he is maintaining a healthy weight and poo with a slight waist from above and a good tuck from the side, so I am not concerned that he is active but eating on the low side of suggested guidelines.
  • DabishDabish
    I've been feeding Chuji about 1 cup and 1/3 of wellness puppy dispersed 3-4 times a day....when I took her to the vet I think a week ago she weighed in at 5.6 pounds and she was about 10 weeks. Is this the norm for a pup this size?
  • @saya some days he will only eat 1/2 cup and its those days that worry me sometimes maybe 3-4 times a week he will eat 11/2 cups. He gets small treats everyday and maybe once a week he will get a few carrots and apple slices. He is 7months and weighs 15-16lbs.

@redcattoo. He does not appear to be underweight acts healthy and likes to play. I just always get concerned because 1. He is my baby and 2. I've never met a dog that doesn't scarf down his food and ask for seconds lol. I just get nervous.
  • @CrystalWolf, if you never met a dog that doesn't scarf down food you never met Bear. He has been picky with food even when he used to be kibble fed. With raw he has been a little better, but still has days in a row he may barely eat anything (especially in summer). I, like you, used to worry, but he remains a healthy weight yet has never been food motivated.
  • BootzBootz
    @CrystalWolf My Bootz use to scarf down her food, but I trained her out of it. Most of the owners I know that have dogs that scarf down their food don't care or don't bother to train them out of it. I train mines so they can ENJOY their food and so they wont be that hungry. The faster your eat the longer you stay hungry. By eating at a slower pace, it gives your brain more time to process and let you know you're full!
  • Yea well scarf was a bit exaggerated. Hahaha by that I mean isn't eager to eat food lol.
  • Tomo is 16 weeks old and I feed him around 10oz of kibbles (Wellness Puppy Formula) a day.
    That excludes some kibbles, pear and banana as treats
    From what I read, I should give him less than the amount stated on the kibble packaging as I live in the tropics.

Can I tell from the amount of poop if Tomo is getting enough food?
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    Puppies tend to poop more, but the consistency is usually much softer if they are eating too much. Kira ate about 1.5 cups a day (3 feedings) until she was about 4-5 months and then she went to only eating twice a day and down to about a cup a day. It depends on how big your pup is as well.
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • sakurasakisakurasaki
    I am now feeding Akuma 4 times a day because he doesn't eat much each time, easily get distracted, he's 9-weeks old now, should I start to throw in some raw meat in his food?
    I am worried because Akuma seemed to like eating grass in the backyard, and from what I have read online, that's a sign of underfed or sickness? so I am thinking if I make his meal more interesting so he would actually focus and eat something.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @sakurasaki - Puppies generally eat multiple times per day (3 or 4 is not unusual). As long as you have him on a high quality kibble, I would not worry. However, if you want to feed him a raw diet, that is also a great choice. Check out the raw thread, as there is a ton of great information that forum members have compiled there.

As for the grass eating thing... Whoever told you that is full of crap. Dogs eat grass because they like eating grass. End of story. Both of my dogs, who are nutritionally sound, munch on grass because they like the taste and texture (as best as I can tell). One really likes wire grass and the other likes fine yard grass. For those that know my dogs, I bet you can guess which dog is which by their grass preferences!
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • sakurasakisakurasaki
    sunyata said:

@sakurasaki - Puppies generally eat multiple times per day (3 or 4 is not unusual). As long as you have him on a high quality kibble, I would not worry. However, if you want to feed him a raw diet, that is also a great choice. Check out the raw thread, as there is a ton of great information that forum members have compiled there.

As for the grass eating thing... Whoever told you that is full of crap. Dogs eat grass because they like eating grass. End of story. Both of my dogs, who are nutritionally sound, munch on grass because they like the taste and texture (as best as I can tell). One really likes wire grass and the other likes fine yard grass. For those that know my dogs, I bet you can guess which dog is which by their grass preferences!

Oh, that's good, as long as grasses won't make him sick I am happy. I guess I just have to chill out a bit. My fiance said I have that new mom syndrome, worrying about him all the time :P
  • jennjenn
    Haha, its ok, "new mom syndrome" happens to the best of us. :)

I'd say the grass thing is one of those "old wives tales" that isn't always so valid. One of my parents cat loves grass, and so does Rigby. We've brought home wheat grass for him a few times and he likes playing with it and munching on it. :P
    Jenn, Shiba Slave to Rigby / http://hellorigby.com
  • SayaSaya
    Bella my parent's boxer is like a cow she loves grass she'll munch on it. Especially in spring with the grass grows again then she kinda slows down and only does it a little.

Saya doesn't she will tear grass up, but spits it out I think she just likes action of destroying plants. lol

Only issue I'd think is if grass has been treated.

Kinda like poop some say it's due to dog having poor diet, but really dogs are just gross sometimes. Bella is horrible with poop eating deer and rabbit. thankfully no dog kind. She rolls on coyote poop. She must loves baths. :\

So far only issue with grass eating is once in while Bella will have a piece of grass hanging out of her butt.
    Photobucket

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion