For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Ninja's Re-Socialization Process!
  • RomiRomi
    Post edited by sunyata at 2013-06-06 15:44:58
  • sujewelsujewel
    I'm so happy to hear Ninja is doing so well!!! That's amazing. Your behaviorist sounds amazing! Congrats.
  • sunyatasunyata
  • RyuRyu
    Yay Ninja! That's so awesome to hear Romi. And kudos to you for putting so much work and effort into resocializing him :)
  • SangmortSangmort
    Hoozah! Hopefully he continues to do well :)~
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    Hurray for another awsome shiba on the way to being a good citizen!
  • That's fantastic Romi. :-) You must be so proud of him. I bet Portia will love it from the start and before you know it, Ninja will start to love it too. I think its a great sign that he began to tolerate the female employees so quickly. Keep it up!
  • RomiRomi
    Thanks guys! I am very proud!!! Today we went to the vet, to update Ninja on all his shots. He did pretty well. There was a yorkie in some guys lap when we came in and he paid no attention. I sat down and he just laid down. A Shih Tzu mix came in. VERY HYPER. I told the owners Ninja was fearful of people and dogs and if it would be possible for them not to come too close. They were fine with it, complimented on how beautiful he was. Ninja didn't growl once. He actually even went up to smell the people! Lots of praise for that. Another lady came in with her Rhodesian Ridgeback. OMG, this thing was huge! But looked old and was pretty laid back. At this point the waiting room was pretty full. I stood up and put myself between Ninja and the Ridgeback. After talking to the receptionist, she was leaving and I had to move so she could get out and Ninja and the Ridgeback met face to face. NOTHING HAPPENED! No growl, no showing of the teeth, just smelling. MAN...I have to admit, I got pretty tense.

But he did well, my vet wasn't there, so there was a new vet. I had talked to the vet tech who always works with Ninja and he assured me that this vet was very good and not to worry. The new vet called me into a room with Ninja just to chat about him. Ninja was growling now. I asked him some questions and talked about some things and asked what usually happens when I bring Ninja here. So I told him that they usually take Ninja back and do everything while I wait in the waiting room. Chris (the vet tech) usually works with him, so he knows his personality and issues. So I went back to the waiting room while he took Ninja to the back.

About 10 minutes later he comes out with Ninja. Im giving him lots of praise and getting him excited. The vet said that Ninja was very well behaved. He wasn't growling or showing his teeth when he was examining him or giving the shots. He body was tense, which is expected, but overall, he was surprised. He was expecting him to growl or scatter on the table, but he just stood there and let them do their thing. AWESOME NEWS!

When I go to drop off Ninja and Portia on Monday, I'm going to have to ask my behaviorist more questions about approaching dogs and what I should do or if Ninja is approaching a dog and wants to sniff, how do I know if it's safe or not. It seems like he's becoming more curious of people and dogs, and I don't want him not to move forward because I'm worried and not allowing him to do so.

So, we will see what she says.
  • That's fantastic news Romi!!!!! Ninja is making so much progress. :-D I'm glad that the new vet worked out well and that you have a vet tech there that you trust. That can make a big difference.

I'll be curious to hear what the behaviorist has to say. But for now, hugs to Ninja for being such a good boy. :-)
  • I think Ninja is just smart. You don't mess with Rhodesian Ridgebacks. They hunt LIONS for Gods sake!!!

In all seriousness sounds like he is doing so well.

I know that I telegraph a lot of my neuroses onto my pups at the vet, especially Piggy in the waiting room, and if I can chill out she does so much better. So much of it is training US more than our dogs. You are doing all the right things. And I think that is fantastic!

Good job lady!
  • RomiRomi
    I just picked up Ninja and Portia from the daycare....

O M F G....

They were BOTH in the Small Dog room OFF LEAD!!!!

I was in shock. I can't believe it. Dogs were jumping on him, he was jumping on them, he was sniffing, they were sniffing, he was meeting FACE TO FACE - NOTHING!!!

I cried! I was so happy and in shock, I was shaking. I just could not believe that was Ninja. Even the workers in there were petting him. He was willingly going up to be pet!!!

CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?!!?! I still cant.

This is his second session of re-socialization and he is already in the small dog room off lead. How AWESOME IS THAT??!?!

When I came in, the receptionist spoke into her walkie and said "Can you please get Ninja and Portia ready to go in the small dog room, their mom is here to pick them up". So I was like oh, they put them in the pen. I look in and there is no pen. And then I see Ninja and Portia walking around following one of the girl workers around. My mouth dropped. Like a minute later, the other behaviorist comes out and said - isn't that awesome!? I was like HELL YES!!!

She said that she put Ninja and Portia in her office with her dogs and Ninja seemed WAY cool. He didn't really pay attention to the other dogs and there was NO growling and he was sniffing them and letting them sniff him. So after 30 minutes, she decided to put them both in the pen in the small dog room. They were both doing good, so she let Portia out after 30 minutes. Ninja started trying to get out of the pen, so after another 30 minutes she let him out and he was totally fine. Just wanted to be out and free like everyone else. No growls, no snaps, NOTHING! She said she called the other behaviorist to give her the good news and she was shocked that he was able to be in the small dog room after just 1 previous session. They both have high hopes for him, especially since he is doing so well already.

I am so happy right now. I don't even know how to explain it!!!
  • That's AWESOME Romi!!!! I'm so happy for you guys and especially for Ninja. :-D
  • That's so great!
    Keep up the good work, Ninja!
    Go NInja, Go Ninja, Go!! Go NInja, Go Ninja, Go!!
  • That is so wonderful!!!
    I cant wait till Sasha is like that, but we are getting there!
  • Romi, I actually teared up. I am so happy for you.
  • RomiRomi
    THANK YOU ALL!!!

I will have to bring my camera next monday so I can show you the proof! It is so unbelievable to watch, I feel like this is a dream!

I have to thank ALL of you guys who helped me with Ninja and his issues. I am SOOOOO grateful that I found this forum!

Special Big THANK YOU to Brad and Jen :) :) :)
  • RomiRomi
    LOL - seriously...I thought they had! But nope - it was my little man! I am realy proud and super impressed at how fast he is progressing. They were expecting to keep both Ninja and Portia in their office with their own dogs for the first 2 months before moving them into a pen in the small dog room. It really just surprised EVERYONE!

Ninja doesn't have a problem walking WITH dogs. His issues come out when dogs approach him for a sniff. He becomes fearful when dogs approach, but if he can sniff them and approach them first, he seems more comfortable being around them and letting them sniff. So I dont' think there will be any issues with taking all our dogs out for a hike or nice outing.

Thanks for the kind words Brad...but still...I owe you BIG TIME! This forum has made me the dog owner I am today!
  • RomiRomi
    YAY!!! I see Ninja and Portia in the small dog room again! If any of you are interested in watching, here is the link:

http://wagsnwiggles2.viewmydog.com/lanmpegview0.htm - you can go to camera select and click on small dog (there are 2 different views)

IM SO HAPPY!
  • AW!!! I'm watching the small dog feed. Potia is the boxer right? And is Ninja the shiba that isn't more than a step or two behind the lady at most times? lol
  • RomiRomi
    LOL Yep, they are her shadow!!! they both have a white patch on the back of their neck.
  • HAHAH What's up with the little guy who has planted himself SMACK DAB in front of the camera? hahaha

*edit* Oops! looks like he decided to find another spot.
    Post edited by Honey's mom at 2008-10-06 15:58:03
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    I guess I had not checked this thread in awhile. Ninja is making some amazing improvements. That is great to hear.
  • NekopanNekopan
    Portia has to be the tiniest Boxer ever. They both look like they're doing wonderful. :)
  • RomiRomi
    Brandon - Thanks! I am really shocked and stoked with his progress!

Kyla - Yea, Portia is a very small girl! She only weighs 35 lbs.
  • NekopanNekopan
    Wow! Jack was 35 lbs at 5 months.
  • ljowen123ljowen123
  • RomiRomi
    John had problems too. He said if he exited and then went back in, it worked fine. you can go directly to the site. www.wagsandwiggles.com . view camera's, click on the Tustin location.
  • ljowen123ljowen123
  • sunyatasunyata
  • I'm sorry I missed it. :-( I'm glad things are going so well!!!!!
  • RomiRomi
    LOL - its ok Dave! You can watch any other Monday at 9:30am - 1:30pm PST!
  • LeonbergerLeonberger
    I think I got a glimpse of Ninja yesterday, but the cam was giving me something like a frame every 2 seconds, so I'm not sure.
    It's great that he's doing so well.
  • BradA1878BradA1878
  • RomiRomi
    Just dropped off the pups at daycare. I passed last week since they were boarded there for 4 nights. This time I stayed to watch how for 15 mins after dropping them off. First they let Portia in so all the dogs would follow and sniff her. And then they let Ninja in - so he wouldn't be overwhelmed by all the dogs. Pretty smart. Ninja's hackles were up for about 10 mins - and then he got over it.

I can't really tell when Ninja is trying to play or what is up - but it seems like he was playing. There is another shiba there, a female. Portia and Ninja instantly went to her like a magnet. Portia was play bowing and the other shiba was into it. They started chasing eachother. Then Ninja started to follow and chase - but he started showing his teeth. Which is normal for Ninja/Portia play...but didn't really know for new dogs.

I also wondering - can dogs tell when other dogs are the same breed? It was kind of interesting how both Ninja and Portia went to the Shiba when they saw her.

There is also a husky puppy who is quite boisterous. I saw Ninja showing his teeth and even though the puppy didn't back down, Ninja didn't snap - just growled and walked away!

http://wagsnwiggles2.viewmydog.com/lanmpegview0.htm
    Post edited by Romi at 2008-11-03 16:42:52
  • I am positive that dogs know the difference. Sasha was raised with Boxers before us (boxer rescue) and whenever she sees a boxer she forgets all fear and just lets loose. She could care less where I am as long as there is a boxer.
  • RomiRomi
    maybe your next dog needs to be a boxer :)
  • brandon_wbrandon_w
    Dogs know their own breed. And they know breeds they don't like. Nemo is a breed snob to Vislas and Winerimers, it gets nasty.
  • sunyatasunyata
    Post edited by sunyata at 2008-11-03 18:32:57
  • RomiRomi
    If you go to Camera Select - you can choose from 2 different views. They are in the small dog room - so look at those camera views.
  • sunyatasunyata
  • I agree that dogs know the difference between breeds.
    One of the reasons might even be specific scents they might have. Maybe we can't feel it, but their far superior noses can. OK, I can smell the difference between an Akita and a Lab, but I think you'll get my point.

So far Kuma doesn't seem to have any preference or hate for any specific breed.
  • Piglet is terrified of labs and goldens. And she HATES Akitas. No Akita for me while I have Piglet I guess.
  • As I said in another post-I LOVE boxers but I dont think I could ever have one...Sasha will have to stick to seeing her foster sibs and others at parks...
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    Hey Romi,
    I live in Irvine and I plan on checking that place out. If I do decide to bring Ichi there to improve his socialization, want to be my referral? :)

Jesse
  • RomiRomi
    Jesse,

I didn't know you live in Irvine! That's so close! How old is Ichi now? They allow puppies under 4 months - but put them in a pen with other puppies under 4 months. I think for the daycare (where Ninja and Portia play) they have to be at least 4 months of age - and when they reach 6 months of age - he can't return until he gets neutered.(i think) The puppy playpen is 15.00/day and daycare is 29.00 for a half day (4 hours or less) or 36.00 for a full day (4 hours or more.) A little more expensive than other places...but its a really nice place. If you are really interested - I will let my behaviorist know and you can schedule an interview with her to see if Ichi is able to attend.

I take my pups every monday for 4 hours.
  • CrimsonO2CrimsonO2
    Ichi's 13 weeks now and will be 16 weeks old on November 24th (born August 4th). I've already got Ichi's neutering set as his 6 month birthday present:)

I've been trying to get him play dates with dogs I'm comfortable with. I have two other fellow shiba owners (2 weeks older than Ichi) in my PetSmart puppy obedience classes, but they are littermates (male and female), so they readily play with each other. Last time I tried to do an off-leash meeting after class with them Ichi got ganged up on :(.

Jesse

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)