For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Puppy Food
  • When should I switch Mylie off of puppy food? I could have sworn it was at a year, but my fiance argues that he thinks it's at 6 months... Thanks!
    Post edited by curlytails at 2012-05-29 03:23:55
  • I've been told to switch when your dog generally starts to get 'fat' off of the food. If you notice her gaining extra weight, it would be good to swtich to adult food. :)

Toby is about 9 months old and is on adult food now, with no issues in the transition.
  • kwyldkwyld
    6 months is fine for a Shiba. If I had a large or giant breed, I might consider feeding puppy food up until 1 year of age.
  • One approach is to read the label on your puppy food. The feeding guidelines will tell you when you should switch to adult food based on age and weight. I have actually been engaged in a prolonged email discussion with Joey's breeder about puppy food. Her opinion is to feed solely puppy food for 10 months and then slowly mix in adult food over a 2 month transition period. I have Joey on an "all life stages" food which has been the source of our disagreement. To add to the confusion, Joey's vet is of the opinion that post-speuter, puppies should be put on adult food.

Ultimately, I don't think there is one right answer to this. What it comes down to is what your Shiba is doing well on and what you are comfortable with. As long as you continue to feed a high quality food, I don't think you will cause any harm. Now, if you are dealing with a large breed dog, then there are some additional considerations to make.
  • She's on Wellness: Just for puppy right now and has been for a few months, and before that she was on Merrick: puppy plate since the day I brought her home. I won't feed her anything but high quality food! I wouldn't say that she's been putting on any "fat" she's very lean... Unfortunately I can't find anything on the Wellness bag or the website that suggests when to switch her.
  • According to the feeding guidelines the food you are feeding Mylie can be fed up to a year. By contrast, if you look at the feeding guidelines for something like Orijen, you can see there are situations where they suggest transitioning to an adult food earlier.

As I understand it, the main advantage of feeding puppy food is to give their body the nutrition it needs to sustain a healthy growth period. If you give them extra nutrition after they've finished growing (e.g. continue to feed Mylie puppy food) I don't think you'll hurt anything except maybe cause her to gain a bit of un-needed weight. On the other hand, if you take puppy food away from a dog while they are still growing, you could potentially negatively affect their growth (this would be like transitioning an Akita to adult food at 5 months).
  • LemonChickenLemonChicken
    Can I bump this since the discussion came up?

Panko is now 6 months old and has been on a diet of 50/50 mix of Fromm Puppy Gold Chiot and Taste of the Wild High Prarie Canine Formula Roasted Bison & Venison. At his last vet visit a few weeks ago, he weighed 17 lbs. Vet said good weight for him, not overweight or underweight for him.

He is not neutered yet but planning for late July/early August.

He eats fine, his poo is fine. I figure I would keep him on this diet for a year and maybe try a little raw or frozen raw food as a ice breaker (no pun intended) occassionally.

Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone!
    Panko!
  • lindsaytlindsayt
    I would stop the puppy food when he is neutered, and get him on an ALS or adult food now, actually.
    "Common sense isn't so common"
    photo c5d87957-61b6-48af-a440-4187cbfc861b_zps88ccdf88.jpg
  • SayaSaya
    Saya was switched to wellness core ocean which is an adult kibble at 6months of age she did fine on adult food. Some say do it at year some earlier I don't know which is best, but it worked for me.
    Photobucket
    Nicole, 5year old Bella(Boxer), and 4year old Saya(Shiba inu)
  • ArcticArctic
    Agreed, I switched Sansa off puppy food at 6 months.
  • KikkiKikki
    I don't think it's necessary for Panko to stay on puppy formula for that long. I'd just finish whatever left of the Fromm puppy and then feed only TOTW which is ALS. Our Yuna actually eats TOTW High Prarie ALS and has been since we brought her come at 8 weeks (the breeder fed her the same thing but the puppy formula). Have about 2 weeks worth left of food, after that we're rotating to the Wetlands formula with fowl.
    photo 09add2ab-be4c-4b53-98a7-1a6bc4311b43_zps71ebc933.jpg
  • LemonChickenLemonChicken
    Okee Dokee. Still have a bit of food left but as soon as I start running low, I will start mixing ALS and start switching over.
    Panko!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)