For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
New Dog Owners: Dog Food 101
  • SangmortSangmort
  • kektikekti
    thanks this is most helpful
  • SangmortSangmort
    Glad to hear :)~
  • BradA1878BradA1878
  • SangmortSangmort
    Thanks!

Do you think it's long enough? :o~
  • NekopanNekopan
    Aww, the kibble our breeder recommended is only a two star! I'll have to convince my mom to switch to a better food. Thanks Osy. :D
  • SangmortSangmort
    No problem Kyla! :) You'd be surprised what some breeders & vets recommend. I know the vet that I was planning on taking my pup to recommended & sold Science Diet [ 1 star ]. Definitely changed my mind about using him when I do get my pup. I might have to drive a little further for a different vet, but at least Ill have a vet that knows what he's talking about D:~
  • ljowen123ljowen123
  • SangmortSangmort
    Awww poor Jazz! I bet she's super thankful to have a mother like you now LJ :D!~
  • ljowen123ljowen123
  • NekopanNekopan
    One question, though. We've been feeding Go Natural Grain Free canned as our vet recommended it. It's a 5 star on that list, but if we don't mix it with kibble (the aformentioned 2 star) his stools are runny and usually quite smelly. Even though it's a premium food, isn't this indication that it doesn't agree with him?
  • SangmortSangmort
    I'm not too sure, but I believe that issue is more along the lines that it is a canned product. Canned dog food is about 75% water I believe. That is why it is not recommended to feed canned alone. :)~
  • NekopanNekopan
    That would make sense. :) We're going to stop feeding the canned soon, it was only because he was sick and the vet recommended we take him off kibble for a bit. He also got liver and sardines, and other yummy things. As I think about it now, those made his stools less loose. I wonder if I can convince my mom that we should start feeding RAW. :D
  • SangmortSangmort
    Canned food occasionally mixed with kibble is good. [ the reason being kibble is completely dry & can cause your dog to dehydrate if you don't give him enough water. The canned food helps alleviate this, as well as provided additional nutrients ]

lol Everyone here seems to absolutely love raw. Personally, I don't think I have the stomach to cut up all the different meats lol :D~
  • RomiRomi
    Some dogs just don't do well with certain foods. If you're plannin to keep feeding canned - try a different brand and see how that goes. Some advice I got from Jessica when I was trying out canned & kibble: "Canned food is normally pretty rich, it is the equivalent of us eating chili for dinner often. I would be pretty gassy too."
    Post edited by Romi at 2008-08-10 05:21:55
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    Great post, Osy! I think this is article worthy for those who are starting on the dog food quest from scratch!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Also be cautious of constant formula changes, i.e. Canidae, eagle pack holistic and Orijen. Canidae made some very serious changes that dog owners are seeing in their dogs, whereas Eagle Pack holistic (fish) and Orijen may just be lessening their fish content a little over time to accommodate rising prices.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Perhaps someone can also put together a nifty segment on the correct way to TRANSITION from one food to the next? That is a big part of the dry dog food system.
    - - - - - -- - - - - - -
    **And by-products, I learned from a holistic nutritionist, that a by-product is a secondary or incidental product deriving from a manufacturing process, a chemical reaction or a biochemical pathway, and is not the primary product or service being produced. In dog food, this can take on many forms, as some people in Florida court case found out, by-product could mean "euthanized cat" or "roadkill".

Not all by-products are harmful, I feed my animals raw organs, fresh pig ears, beef tongue, raw hooves and pigs feet, chicken feet, rabbit fur, raw bones, and i intend of giving them feathers on a whole pheasant I have on order :)

what IS SCARY about by-products in a commercial pet food is that you do not know WHICH parts they are using, their condition and to what extent - some harmful parts that can be in are manure, poultry litter, lanolin, dried blood, gelatin, etc. There are also vegetation by-products like from brewer's yeast, wheat germ, bran.
    Post edited by tsukitsune at 2008-08-10 10:27:29
  • ljowen123ljowen123
  • ddowdemersddowdemers
    Osy, that was a great posting. So informative and helpful to new (and some old) dog owners.
  • Well done Osy! I agree, I think it should be an article.

We may have to appoint you our official article editor. ;-)
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    Osy, you did a fabulous job!
    Here's a link I had bookmarked for a friend that needed a great dry dog food explanation: http://www.dogster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/518898
  • tobyshibatobyshiba
    I just visited this pet store called Braxton's in Wayne, PA.

http://www.braxtons.com/index.htm

Wow, this store was 2 stories high, and almost all the stuff there was for dogs, and only dogs! They sold Orijen, so I picked up a small bag. I might try it with Toby once his puppy food runs out. :)
  • SangmortSangmort
    Post edited by Sangmort at 2008-08-11 00:04:38
  • ljowen123ljowen123
  • Very interesting, I think this should definitely be a sticky... It's funny that Eukanuba ranks so low, my vet (of all people) recommended it but we wound up throwing out almost the whole bag after her food transition because Mylie HATED it and would not eat. She would literally pick around the Eukanuba to eat the other food when both were in her dish.
  • BTW, Merrick Puppy Plate, WONDERFUL for the lil ones. Mylie loves it, and when I upgrade her from puppy food, there's a variety of flavors, and you can order right from the Merrick website. Not too terribly expensive either :)
    Post edited by LoveMyMylie at 2008-08-11 02:28:05
  • SangmortSangmort
    I've heard pretty good things about Merrick, Melissa :)

& I think it's so cute she picked out the "good stuff" lol~
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    bump!
  • kektikekti
    we just bought roxy some wellness, and she took to it instantly didn't have to bother with a transition, I know its not the best thats out there but its alot better than purenia and iam, which is what her old diet was....I only hope it helps with her shedding...
  • ddowdemersddowdemers
    Wellness is fine. Good for you for switching. But you really should think about a gradual change instead of a sudden change. It will be better for her tummy.
  • The point of the slow transition is not to make sure they like the new food, its to make sure they don't get an upset stomach, diarrhea, or vomiting. I would rethink your abrupt change for future meals.
  • SangmortSangmort
  • tobyshibatobyshiba
    I had to make a sudden change to Wellness a month ago ( because I couldn't get Eagle Pack and we were leaving for our camping trip in less than an hour ), and Toby had diarrhea for more than a week. We had to keep giving him yogurt and pumpkin so he wasn't pooping total liquid. So, its not the best thing to do. Roxy might have an accident, or get the farts. Toby farts all the time when his tummy is upset. It's really gross. D:

And actually, Wellness is one of the better foods out there. It's not grain free, but its 1,000 times better and healthier than Purina and Iams.
    Post edited by tobyshiba at 2008-08-11 22:15:12
  • SangmortSangmort
    Awwww poor Toby! [ & poor you, too Steph! ] That must have been awful :(~
  • tobyshibatobyshiba
    Yeah, on vacation ... I had to get up @ 5:30 am every morning because he would whine. He had to poop! Bad thing is that he is so darn picky, that for most of the time we were camping, he refused to poop. He resulted to pooping in the middle of the road, a pile of rocks, and on trails. He doesn't like when people watch him, either. We would take him to the grass @ the campground ... and he'd look around, sniff forever and then go once everyone left.
  • kektikekti
    ok, well she has the farts, well what I ment by we didn't have to transition is well she instantly took to the new food, I had put a very small ammount in a bowl for her to try and she ate it all up, we just got a new bowl for her and we'll try the transitioning....thanks for all the info.
  • has any ever heard of halo and is it good?
  • I give some of the Halo treats occasionally (my dogs like the dehydrated salmon) although I typically just give them a couple frozen raspberries. Their food is definitely better then supermarket food.

I just looked at the ingredients list for the wild salmon, it doesn't look bad. It is not grain free, which is not ideal but at least it is not wheat or corn.
  • TeamLaikaTeamLaika
    Some more sites of possible interest:
    www.petdiets.com
    Dr. Remillard isn't on the raw food bandwagon, but there are still good tidbits in the FAQs and "nutrition facts" sections, including label interpretation.

Here's a source for all you raw feeders out there!
    http://www.hare-today.com/

The Trio gets really excited about Dogswell jerky treats. I like them since they don't make my pockets all gross!
    http://www.dogswell.com/

They are also big fans of Dr. Becker's Bison Bites
    http://www.drbeckersbites.com/products.htm
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    Do you order from Hare-Today.com?? I LOVE their service! Shipping kills me, but if comes perfect and frozen so its all good!
    Have your ordered full carcass rabbit yet? we're considering it..
  • cas12cas12
    I have noticed that you have got iams on your list of premium food I agree it is a good food I used to give it to my cat untilsome one showed me a link about Iams. Five pet shops in my area alone has now taken iams off the shelves due to this.

the lik is below

www.iamscruelty.com
  • tobyshibatobyshiba
  • My only complaint with the Dogswell is it is made in China. I try to avoid meats packaged over there. But the product is great and is organic.

Hare Today seems AWESOME. If I don't fall in love with this shop in little italy I know where I will be ordering. Thanks for that source!
  • tsukitsunetsukitsune
    PETFOOD RECALL!!!!
    Regarding Salmonella in Kibble:
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2008/08/pet_food_recalls100.html
  • SangmortSangmort
    Thanks for the alert Jen :)~
  • KaddyKaddy
    I mostly skimmed this so I apologize if I missed the answer to my question!!!

We're down to the last 3 weeks worth of Belles current food (I have NO idea what it is to be honest (it's in a rubbermaid thingy... not the bag), James has been feeding it to her for years...)

That being said - I decided that I eventually want Keiko and Belle to be eating the same food, and now seems like the best time to transition Belle since we'll be purchasing new food for her anyway. After some research I'm leaning toward the Innova EVO Small Bite dry food (we're in no position to keep raw food in our crappy kitchen, so that's out of the question for a while.)

Has anyone had first hand experience (positive/negative) with this brand? All of the reading I could find highly recommend it, but knowing someone else who's actually had experience with it would make me happier :o)
    Post edited by Kaddy at 2008-08-18 00:35:02
  • SangmortSangmort
  • KaddyKaddy
    I hate to bump/beg... but .. ummm.... bump/beg!! :o)

I'll have to pick it up tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest, so I'd like to hear anything y'all have to say :oDD (Yes I value your opinion THAT much!)

Thanks ;o)
  • ljowen123ljowen123
  • KaddyKaddy
    Thanks so much LJ! :o)
  • ljowen123ljowen123
  • ljowen123ljowen123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)