For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
How long will the teething last?
  • Just curious... I'm looking forward to there not being blood all over Mylie's toys, but I'm seriously evil for enjoying her constant snuggle time because she's in pain. So how long does it usually take for all the baby teeth to fall out? It's been about 2 weeks so far.

Thanks!

[changed category ~mod.]
    Post edited by curlytails at 2013-11-24 23:22:12
  • I don't recall exactly with Joey, but I think it was about two weeks for the puppy teethe to fall out and then another two weeks or so for his adult teethe to finish coming in. His last two puppy teethe came out at exactly five months old and having just turned six months he's been done with his adult teethe coming in for at least a week, probably more (I stopped paying quite as close attention after a while).

You aren't evil for enjoying the cuddle time. I enjoyed it too. :-P
  • LeonbergerLeonberger
    Kuma was pretty much immune to his teething. I didn't notice any pain about, and he just kept spitting them out. The only ones that were a bit of trouble and some blood were the fangs. The upper baby fangs only came out when the adult ones were quite a bit out. If I remember it right, it took less than a month.
  • kojichankojichan
    My Shiba started going through the heavy teething -- loosing baby teeth/bleeding gums/bad breath phase at about 4.5 months. It lasted about 3+ weeks from what I recall.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    BUMP!!!

It's so good to read so many threads about puppy teething and the EXCRUTIATINGLY DISGUSTING bad breath!

Kira is almost 6 months old and for the past couple weeks, her puppy premolars have been loose. Her breath is awful. Please, I am hoping that this is just because of the teething - can anyone tell me if they experienced this? It literally smells like something crawled into her mouth and died... Ugh!
    Cynthia, Proudly owned by Kira
    imageimage
    Kira the Cream Shiba Inu 吉良 - Facebook Page
    Follow Kira on Instagram! Kira_the_cream_shiba_inu
    Kira's Life Story & Photo Thread - Chronicles of Kira

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”
  • amtiamti
    Bad breath is common when teething. It should smell like blood. If she's got something stuck under a loose tooth, it might smell worse, but that is highly unlikely if the teeth are wiggly and coming out in a reasonable amount of time.
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    That's relieving to hear, I have never experienced breath like that with any other dog. She only has one side of premolars left to go, then hopefully it should be over. My freezer is packed with frozen apple slices and washcloths.
    imageimage

• So good to hear that bad breath is common with the teeth loss! Holly started losing her teeth about a week ago and it's been almost a tooth each day. She's overall ok but the molars bothered her last night and she just kept chewing as if there was something in her mouth. I gave her some tuna in water about 3 days ago and didn't understand why her breath still smelled like it! Now I do. I've been trying to save all the teeth that comes out but I think she might have swallowed some. Today's her 6 months old birthday!
    Holly's Human
  • Kiba0713Kiba0713
    For others' reference, Kiba will be 7 months old in 4 days, and we think his last two adult teeth are coming in now- or were a couple of days ago, perhaps they're done now? He wouldnt let me check yesterday. The bad breath phase passed a while ago, I havent noticed it lately. He seemed to stop teething altogether for a while (maybe a week?) before we noticed he still had a couple to go. Hopefully this is the last of it!
  • Kira_KiraKira_Kira
    @Hollydog - you got lucky! I tried to keep an eye on her, but wasn't able to salvage any puppy teeth. I definitely would have kept them!

Kira's stinky breath and teething was over by 7 months as well. Now her breath smells like mushrooms to me, better than dead stuff!
    imageimage

• Kiba0713Kiba0713
    I got a baby fang from Kiba, but I dont know where it is now... :/
  • BootzBootz
    Kiba0713 said:

I got a baby fang from Kiba, but I dont know where it is now... :/

I saved like 20 tooth from Bootz and Jackie.... but I don't know where i put it either...
    :(
    Post edited by Bootz at 2014-02-04 11:19:52
  • Talking about teething, does anyone know how to deal with sore teeth? Mochi's teeth right now are growing in and is sore and she wont eat the food unless it softened with a bit of water, do I keep doing this till shes betteR?
  • Kiba0713Kiba0713
    I dont think there's anything wrong with doing that for her. You can also try feeding ice cubes, Kiba lived for those while teething. You can freeze something like broth as well for more of a treat. I made a tray of chamomile tea ice cubes for him once, because the chamomile is soothing.
  • TrishTrish
    Like Kiba0713 has mentioned already, ice cubes were great to give while teething. I also froze hand towels soaked in water and a few chew toys
  • My Boston lost the majority of his teeth at 7 months. His adult teeth were not probably grown until a year and two months or so.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)