For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Best treat for teeth? Any recommendations
  • sanicksanick
    Hello Shiba lovers, I was wondering if anyone can provide advice on the best treat for cleaning teeth? My dog loves bully sticks and she has been given those and Greenies. But, I really think that when I give her the Greenies, she gets constipation and does not feel well afterward so I am going to stop giving those to her. Are bully sticks digestible and will they work for her teeth? I am asking if anyone can recommend a healthier treat, that is like a bone, and will clean her teeth or if the bully sticks are ok? Thank you so much for any input you can give.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Bully sticks are digestible and any recreational chew is good for jaw stimulation and teeth, especially compared to letting the teeth decay without use. Even in studies about increasing the size of kibble. Bigger pieces of kibble were far better than smaller pieces when it came to teeth health. But I wouldn’t say kibble is “good for teeth” hahah.

How do you feel about raw bones? Those are the best for teeth cleaning. Especially stuff with a high bone content compared to the meat ratio... like chicken/turkey/duck necks, backs, wings, and feet. Drumsticks are good too, but have a little more meat. I really only feed softer bones like that to Ozzy so he doesn’t risk breaking a tooth or having any blockages due to harder pieces of bone.

I also brush Ozzy’s teeth every other day if not every day. He has gone from tolerating it to actually liking it. :)) but it depends heavily on the toothpaste flavor for him. He really likes the virbac CET Brand that i just got as our vacation tooth kit.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @sanick - Please remember to search the forum before starting a new thread. There are multiple existing threads on teeth cleaning and dental treats already on the forum. Lots of great discussion and advice has already been given.

Since this is an existing topic, I am going to close this thread. Feel free to continue the discussion in one of the existing threads.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions