For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Bite and Never comes near us
  • RamsujRamsuj
    Please help us how to get rid of his bite when web hold him. And he never comes near us.

[mod edit: changed category and closed thread due to duplicate topic]
    Post edited by sunyata at 2018-07-02 11:50:07
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    Well, there are a lot of posts on biting and reactivity/aggression---you might want to check there first.

But we can't give much help with such little information, either. How old is he? Is he a rescue? What do you mean by holding him? What kind of behavior does he demonstrate when you approach? What are you trying to do---grooming, nails, brushing or just petting or what?
  • RamsujRamsuj
    He is currently 4 months old. We got him as a puppy a month ago. He's not a rescue.

He starts to bite when we try to pick him up to groom him or even just pet him.

We have tried diverting his attention to the chewing toys but after a few minutes he is back to biting us again.

I have tried bite inhibition but always after a few seconds of soft nibs he starts biting hard. Any advice to curb this?
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    Take a look at the common puppy woes section, I think there are several discussions on biting there.

Handling is an iffy thing--we started with Coal at three months and always worked slowly. Dogmantic's Kikopup has wonderful videos on this. One was where you worked on just getting the pup used to your hand coming down towards them before even touching them. I highly recommend the youtube channel

It could be that he is just getting really excited and tends to bite harder. One thing you can do is that, when he starts biting too hard and not backing off, all fun stops and you completely ignore him. Basically, he bites, you say ouch and leave the room or stand up and completely disengage. This was highly effective with Coal, but I am not sure about other dogs.

Another thing is that they are just in the bity phase at this point. His teeth are bugging the heck out of him ^_^ Take it slowly and step by step.
  • MeghanBCGMeghanBCG
    A couple things:

Have you ever had a puppy before this? Puppies bite. It's what they do. Dogs use their mouths to explore, and when they're puppies they don't know when to stop themselves. They don't know any better. And Shiba puppies are generally EXTRA bitey and will be for a while. It takes a lot of dedication and consistent training to get them to understand what's appropriate behavior.

You said he never comes near you. Another thing about Shibas is that they're very independent. Most of them are NOT lap dogs. They don't necessarily want to be held or petted because they don't care about what YOU want. They're not people pleasing dogs like a Golden Retriever, for example. If there's something in it for them, then sure, pet away. But even my one year old Shiba resists being petted unless he's very very sleepy.

Definitely check out the existing threads. There's TONS of information, like Anjyil said in "Common Puppy Woes" and "Commonly Asked Questions".
  • sunyatasunyata
    @Ramsuj - Since this is a duplicate topic, I am going to close this thread. Please read through the other threads on this exact topic. Thanks.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions