For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
2 year old started nipping/biting at my family's legs
  • Hey guys, my two year old foster has been doing really well! He's been doing increasingly better on walks, and training is pretty good as well. However, he has recently begun to bite (not hard) at my family's legs whenever I go to visit them. I'm not sure why he's started to or how to correct it. Anyone else have these issues?
  • spacedogsspacedogs
    Is .. is he trying to herd them?

I know it sounds weird, but Laika does it to us - though she doesn't bite, she boinks us with her nose while we're walking around to tell us where she wants us to go =))
  • Arge12Arge12
    spacedogs said:

Is .. is he trying to herd them?

I know it sounds weird, but Laika does it to us - though she doesn't bite, she boinks us with her nose while we're walking around to tell us where she wants us to go =))

@spacedogs Kiku's never nipped at me, but I've definitely had her ghosting me so closely that she "boops" me like that. I didn't think of it like that! love it!

It's hard to say exactly what's causing that, but you can try to nip that behaviour in the bud while he's still younger. 2 is a tough time for Shibas, I understand. They're working to test their boundaries like a teenager. If he does it again, make sure he goes into time out. It doesn't need to be long. Maybe around a half minute. If he continues, progressively make the time out slightly longer. That's how I'd personally deal with it.