For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Biting Returned after 6 Months of No Biting
  • Hi, everyone! I tried looking for discussions on biting issues with puppies older than five months old and hadn't found any, so if there is another post out there, I apologize! Feel free to let me know :) either way, here it is:

My puppy, Topo, is 8 months old and has recently begun biting again. My partner and I had trained her with redirection and inhibition when she was much younger, and she had it down by 3 months old, it was great and I was so proud of her.

Unfortunately, now, we don't quite understand why the biting has returned, but whenever she gets incredibly excited, she gets quite snappy and will bite hands/ankles if not being paid attention to. It escalated when my worst fear happened: she was very happy to meet a stranger we passed by on our walk, and started biting their calves. I have returned to bite training with redirection and time outs, but I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this sudden resurgence in their shibas biting as well and if you had any tips.

Thank you!
    Post edited by lavaquitatopo at 2017-10-16 14:21:54
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    That's not uncommon at all with adolescence haha. It seems like they "forget" lots of the training they had and test boundaries. Best thing to do is take a step back and treat them like they're fresh, new puppies, learning this stuff for the first time. Keep being consistent. I still carry a small toy in my purse or pocket when we go for walks so that if Ozzy is greeting someone, he has something to carry in his mouth. He used to be pretty hyper / excitable with strangers. Now he wants to lick them relentlessly lol. But all that can be avoided if he's got a toy to hold! :)
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    You should check out my life thread XD It was almost the exact same thing, though less about happy and more about unable to control himself when excited. Good bite inhibition training, no biting for at least three months, and then BAM. Bite.

Unfortunately, our situation was a little different as it was only after food and when he was super excited. We have been hand feeding him his meals with cues. We ignore our pup when he does things we don't like or is demanding, and I still work on bite inhibition training (ouch, leave the room, etc).

I like the toy idea from Lilikoi, but toys are low value. Unless it is in his mouth the whole time, he won't take it, or worse--even if he has it, he might drop it. I may still have to give it a try. I am starting to institute a sit and stay. It worked for one person he met, so it might work for others.

• LilikoiLilikoi
    For Ozzy, holding a toy isn't about it being high value. I'm not trying to reward him for being good and keeping his mouth to himself. Even his favorite treats aren't insentive enough to curb his social enthusiasm lol. It's more about occupying his mouth. He loves having something in his mouth when greeting. Seems like many Shibas do... when we come home, he'll "go get a toy," which we will remind him if he doesn't just automatically go straight for a toy (which he usually does).

But I'm sure that doesn't work for all dogs or all Shibas. But it definitely keeps Ozzy's mouth occupied. When he's greeting people outdoors, he'll often try to grab a stick or something; he has to have something in his mouth lol. Or he would try to grab their hands. Not really biting, not trying to inflict pain or give them any warning or anything like that, but just because he's a grabby child who uses his mouth like hands. He gets grabby when excited lol. And toys or sticks or just anything he can hold to occupy his mouth are very helpful.
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    Huh. ...that may explain why Coal does that. Sometimes, he will accidentally alarm bark at us if he can't see or recognize us. As soon as we "reveal" ourselves, he will immediately run and get a toy. But Coal has never tried to grab anything when greeting people---just tried to lick their faces and play with them.
  • Thanks for the advice, everyone. I've started keeping a tennis ball in my jacket for when we're out and about, I'll keep treating her like a new pup till we get it sorted out. Much appreciated!
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    Keep us updated on how it goes!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)