For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Dark Nails clipping---nervous!
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    I really need some advice on this. during the winter, we played a lot outside so it kept his front nails down, but with summer, his front nails have gotten too long. I have tried grinding down, but it is a losing battle, so we are getting some good clippers. (just so you know, the grinder we got isn't good for thick-nailed dogs. Worked well for puppy time though).

I am super nervous about hitting the quick. His nails are just all dark and I have honestly never clipped nails before. How far should I clip? When will I know when I am too close to the quick?

my husband chose something he called Guillotine nail clippers.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    So I remember seeing a YouTube video about how to avoid clipping the quick... it talked about the part after the quick kind of curving, and compared it to like a canoe and clipping the little curves off of a canoe (and said something kinda inappropriate about native Americans). But I can't find it.

I found this though.
    https://youtu.be/YWOkW8wLiSk

I used to have a cheaper grinder tool for human nails that worked great when Ozzy was a puppy. Now I use one by the dremel brand, which works great. Also got it on Amazon. Ozzy has like light nails on his middle toes and dark nails on his 2 outside toes (and dew claws). So his really aren't too hard for the most part. But just ftr, I think dark nails are soooo gorgeous on dogs hahaha.
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    @Lilikoi I know what vid you are talking about---they had a dog with both clear and dark nails.

Saw that vid, too. I have been scouring the internet, trying to build my confidence but the vids are not close enough for me to get a clear idea.

Dremel sounds soooo cool, but they don't have Dremel here. I realize that it is primarily a power tool, so I may try and find the Japanese equivalent eventually, but right now I gotta get up the nerve to bring his nails to a healthy level again. Can't wait for winter when the cement will do all the work again.

I have never ever cut nails on any of my dogs growing up, nor on my cats, really, so I am super nervous (being outdoor cats and dogs, and having a younger sister with more nerve, it was never an issue). I know that one mistake is enough to make it almost impossible next time. I really want to cut his nails back, so I want to know how far I can go after the hook. Can I go a little more, what will I see when I get too close? I read something about a crumbly gray matter just before so I am wondering if that is the red flag to stop...
    Post edited by Anjyil at 2017-08-23 16:21:58
  • ZenkiZenki
    Just make sure you have ways to stop the bleeding if you do nick the quick.
    1.) Kwik Stop.
    2.) Baking soda, baking flour or cornstarch.
    3.) bar of soap.

from an article i read...
    "The quick is pink in a clear nail. Cut before this color DON’T cut AT it. The quick looks like a grey dot in a black nail. As soon as you see grey STOP. STOP I said. If you go any further it will BLEED. "
    Untitled
    Black, Tan and Awesome
    Instagram: @ShibaZenki

“Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.”
    – Ann Landers

• AnjyilAnjyil
    @Zenki Baking soda/flour/cornstarch we have. No bars of soap that I know of...ours are liquid stuff. But that is a good idea. I should do more research on the ways to stop bleeding if it happens.

Grey dot...okay that makes sense. I assume then that this is the tissue before the vein.
    Post edited by Anjyil at 2017-08-23 22:44:34
  • spacedogsspacedogs
    I just clip the very tip of Laika's nails and then use the nail grinder from there. Feels a lot safer to me with her dark nails, and we've had no incidents with it yet.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    @Anjyil - I'm so mortified of nails lol. I remember nicking our first poodle's quick when I was young and the main caretaker haha. Aahhhh it was so sadddd. So I'm really glad Ozzy is so good with the dremel. The one I have is like a pet one made by dremel. I ordered it off of Amazon, though I hear Amazon for other countries is not great at all so maybe it wouldn't be possible for you to order it.. but it's this one in case you see it around on other sites:
    Dremel 7300-PT 4.8V Pet Nail Grooming Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TU0XG4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_wtNNzbH2X471N

I even find Ozzy's light nails difficult. I have to like shine a flashlight right through them or something to see the quick. xP
  • zandramezandrame
    Amazon Japan does have the Dremel product @Lilikoi recommended - link
    It comes in a non-pet version too - link

There's a few cheaper alternatives like this one - link
  • sunyatasunyata
    @Anjyil - Please remember to search the forum for common topics before starting a new thread. There are probably a dozen threads on nail trimming already on the forum.

Since this is a duplicate topic, I am going to close this thread. Feel free to continue the conversation in one of the existing threads (with LOADS of great advice and information).
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)