For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Transitioning to Adult
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    So, this is my first puppy-to-adult transition for any dog, and I am really curious---what kind of changes might I expect and about when? I have read some things online and talked to a few owners in my neighborhood, and the consensus seems to be that Shiba Inu are really hyper as pups (that's Coal!) and tend to mellow out at around 2 years of age.

So what kind of changes did you seen in your Shiba when he or she shifted into social maturity (IE became an adult). Did their behavior change suddenly, gradually, or not at all? Personality quirks? Etc
  • ZenkiZenki
    i heard they can be really sociable as a puppy then grow up to be jerks. hahaha!
    at least mine is becoming a pain in dog parks. :))
    Untitled
    Black, Tan and Awesome
    Instagram: @ShibaZenki

“Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.”
    – Ann Landers

• AnjyilAnjyil
    @Zenki actually, I have heard something similar: as they get older, they become more intolerant of other dogs but I also heard they are generally okay with people XD
  • ZenkiZenki
    @Anjyil true enough for Zenkers. He still has never shown aggression to people. Always happy or at least interested in sniffing people (strangers). But most of the time he jumps away when they try to pet him. They probably think it's because he's not very friendly but in reality he's just being very shiba. ;))
    Untitled
    Black, Tan and Awesome

“Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.”
    – Ann Landers

• AnjyilAnjyil
    @Zenki Coal jumps all over the people he meets, not away haha. I still can't get people to stop encouraging it, either.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Lol, @Anjyil, Ozzy's also a way enthusiastic greeter. He still likes to be holding something (like a toy), or he'll want to jump up or hold onto their hand. He's gentle, doesn't bite down, but still rude and could intimidate a kid. As long as I squat down by him, remind him to sit, be soft, and tell the person greeting him to let him sniff and pet gently, he does great. There are a lot of kids in our neighborhood who think it's hilarious to wave their hands all around his face or just reach super quickly for the top of his head, and that can just energize him haha. So I have to explain to them every time not to tease him. He met a group of like 5 little kids today and they actually listened really well and were great with him. When he was a small pup and people would encourage him to jump on them, I would tell them to turn their back on him if he jumped up to help teach him not to jump. A lot of the time they're like "oh it's okay!" And I'm like noooo it would help me so much if you wouldn't reinforce the jumping! hahah.

Ozzy will be 2 in November... He still hasn't changed too much ha. He's still full of energy, but he is a lot better at releasing that energy appropriately. Like by getting toys, without redirecting his overexcitement to people, furniture, or other objects lol. He still likes to test boundaries and will be a pest if he hasn't had his walk or if he wants something (like dinner). Mostly by being nosy and trying to get into things. I expect he'll still calm down more as he gets older... I love his energy, though. I love doing everything with him... super long walks, playtime, all the hiking and camping and stuff... I like that he has plenty of energy for all of it. So I hope he maintains that stamina. He seems to never tire out, or he just needs a quick rest and then he's ready to go again. But he will also gladly nap the afternoon away if nothing exciting is going on. I guess we'll see what changes come up around 2+ years!
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    @Lilikoi hahaha Coal is the same way! The more enthusiastic, the more hyper he gets. He hates rough petting, though, and tends to pull away. I think I have met two people who actually listen to me. I try to manipulate the others by saying that I am teaching him not to jump for the children because he is big enough to hurt a small child if he jumps. That helps a lot for the stubborn ones, but many just *won't* listen. Ugh. 8-|

I love the energy Coal has, too, as long as it is directed appropriately. I have read that Shiba are pretty durable, so I think you don't have to worry about his stamina running out any time soon hehe. The two sound so similar haha
  • ZenkiZenki
    Zenki doesn't jump at people, he does stand and 'hold' the person's hand that is petting him. I think that's what i get for teaching him super high five. :( he probably thinks a person reaching out to pet him is trying to super high five him.

Zenki just saw his first frog today. I was so surprised to see him bunny hopping to my side and went from 0 to shiba 500 in 2 some odd seconds. Hahaha. Full of energy, this guy.

I believe coal and zenki are roughly the same age And ozzy is only just a year older. we are pretty much all transitioning to adult shiba monsters at the same time. I will soon find out how neutering will affect zenki's temperament.
    Untitled
    Black, Tan and Awesome

– Ann Landers

• AnjyilAnjyil
    @Zenki yup, Coal will be 1 year on September 10th. Gosh, the time flies! From what I have seen in Coal, neutering really didn't affect much of anything, so you should be fine. :)

Super high five? You will have to vid that and show me what it is. I would figure as long as he knows the cue, it is fine...but then again, Coal is constantly giving his paw to people for some reason haha.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    I'm also curious about this super high five! The name does make it sound pretty epic.

Ozzy jumps up to be pet but mostly just balances and doesn't jump on the person. He greets people he knows very different to strangers / people that we don't see that often. He's really sweet with people he knows and just grunts and airplane ears and is super wiggly and happy lol. He just paces around them cus he can't hold still and eventually stands up against them for cuddles. Sometimes he'll climb into their lap and roll on them for maximum cuddles lolol.

But he is more hyper with strangers. Even though he's pretty good now about sitting and letting them come to him, he still needs to be reminded like every time haha. But most strangers or people out in the streets are projecting a whole lot of excitement that he kind of encompasses too lol.

Neutering really didn't change Ozzy's personality at all. I wondered if neutering would like make him less tolerant to dogs... but I think if that happens, it'll be more due to age. So far he still loves other dogs. It also didn't change anything behaviorally for him, but he never really humped much or marked excessively. Especially after like age 8-9 months. He was neutered at 1 year.
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    @Lilikoi coal loves meeting strangers, too. He gets all hyper and airplane ears..then when hubby and I come home, he just kind of watches lol. I guess he takes us for granted XD If I am gone alllll day for work or something, though, he sometimes gets a little happy.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Hahah! Yeah Ozzy gives the works with airplane ears and happy grunts to strangers too. I sometimes wish he was a little less enthusiastic about strangers, cus if someone ever broke in or tried to like take him (which someone did once, and now I carry pepper spray), he would totally just be their best friend and go anywhere with them lol. Would he even miss me?!?! :(( hahahah
    Post edited by Lilikoi at 2017-08-19 14:59:56
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    @Lilikoi awwww I don't know about on the street, but Coal has shown himself to be a very good watchdog. He doesn't like strangers coming in so he barks at them and gets more intense the longer they stay. So at least we don't have to worry about that part.
  • JuniJuni
    I have to say, the most difficult years were when Juni was between 1-2, or even 1-3 years old. She gradually became less interested in people around the time of turning one but then got scared by this idiot of a man and developed a fear of strangers. With dogs it was almost over night she suddenly decided she hated pretty much all dogs in the neighbourhood.

It took a lot of training but also I think she just relaxed by herself over the years. My breeder told me Shibas tend to be quite high strung and take things too seriously when they are young adults. I remember when she turned three that I realized how much more mellow she'd become.

I still feel she develops all the time as a seven year old lady. She still has moments when she can be embarrassing, barking at strangers etc but for the majority of time she is so easy going.
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    @Juni that is interesting. I have heard about the sudden aloofness with dogs, but most stories I have heard say they tend to love people. I think your breeder was right one about being high strung, but I have yet to see Coal take anything too seriously. He does hate the delivery man's truck, though, and scooters XD So sometime in the next one or two years, Coal may actually chill out. That makes me a little hopeful. Hyper puppy is fun sometimes, but I would really like him to figure out that relaxing is okay sometimes XD
  • koyukikoyuki
    Jerk stage is around 6 months to 18-24 months old. Mine all really chilled out around 3 years old.
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    @koyuki you sound like my husband! lol Everything he says to describe Coal is based on his level of jerkiness (and not the edible kind haha) Coal saves all his jerk-stage for hubby, though. He really mostly behaves for me. Hmm... 18-24 so we are almost half-way out of the woods.
  • BootzBootz
    So long ago... but I believe jerk stage for Bootz was around 10 months until 18 months.

She mellowed out afterwards. But mainly, she knew when it was acceptable and not acceptable to get hyper around the house. I can trigger shiba 500s with her and her sister (shih tzu mix)

I can't believe she's already 6 years old :-((
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    @Bootz wow, sounds like you had a relatively short-lived jerk-phase. Coal entered his Jerk-phase at around 5-6 months of age. He has seemed to put it behind for me, but not my husband.

Triggering the shiba 500 is a blast! I love doing that! :D

Wow, 6! How time must have flown. ^_^
  • koyukikoyuki
    @Anjyil that is funny... two of our Shibas are definitely alot ruder to my partner, and the other 2 are ruder to me haha. The 2 that I am closer bonded to my partner is not and vise versa - not by choice- it is just the way it turned out. The dogs chose their favourites.
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    @Koyuki I have heard that a lot---some dogs just have favorites XD Several people have told us that usually males like women and females like men haha. But in this case, a LOT of choice was involved on the human end. I am hoping that, like with a couple of owners on here, he eventually at least accepts my husband :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)