For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Temporary New Puppy
  • Shiro_PiShiro_Pi
    Hey everyone, not exactly sure where this would go because it's an odd situation... But any help would be greatly appreciated!

So a little background on my family: We're a family of 3+1, Myself (I'm off to a different town for University this September) my sister (12), mom, and Mochi (4 months, DOB Feb 27 2017). We actually just got Mochi in the beginning of May, so we've had him just a few days shy of 2 months.

Basically, I have a friend who purchased a Shiba (I believe he or she is turning 6 weeks this week) from the same person as us. They were suppose to pick the pup up when it turns 9 weeks, but they received a call the other day about a family emergency and they may be out of the country for a few months. They've visited the pup a few times, paid the full price, and have absolutely fallen in love. So they asked if I would be able to look after the new pup until the come back. Right now, neither of us know when they're leaving the country, or when they're coming back. Although it would most likely be around 3 months from the departure and arrival date.

My question is: I'd like to look after the pup for them while they're gone, since it really is an unfortunate situation. But how should I proceed about have two Shiba pups in my house?

I've taken Mochi to a Dog Social before, and while he's super playful with other dogs, but he still has a rough style of Shiba play. He's grown about twice the size compared to when we first got him at 9 weeks so I'm worried if it'll be a problem with the younger pup. Commands wise, he knows to stop when we say Ouch, but it still needs work. Not worried about potty training, he trained himself within 2 days.

Are there any other commands that would come in handy? (We're working on leave it) Should I keep both of them on a leash until I can trust them? Our house is small, but we do have 4 floors so we can separate them if needed.

Thanks in advance!
  • spacedogsspacedogs
    Keep them both on leash until you can trust them. Crate train the puppy, obviously, but don't use Mochi's crate (if he has one). They may teach each other some nice manners in play time.

Also don't be alarmed if it sounds like they're killing each other. Anyone that owns two or more Shiba's will tell you that's totally normal.

My own experiences with two - our first was incredible with our second, she allowed him to play outright and kept him under control, and while she let him play bite at her she never actually used her teeth on him. She would, of course, pin him down with her body and pretend to bite at him in play but what she was doing was actually just pushing her chin against him. It was really quite incredible to watch, she KNEW he was a baby and KNEW to play different. We didn't have to do anything to regulate it. Laika is a very loving mommy type dog, though, and your experiences certainly may not be the same or even remotely similar to ours, so don't take our experiences as evidence that it'll be easy for you lol.

• Shiro_PiShiro_Pi
    Thanks @spacedogs!

I'll definitely keep that in mind if we do end up needing to temporarily keep the puppy. What's the age difference between Laika and your 2nd pup if you don't mind me asking :D
  • spacedogsspacedogs
    Laika is approximately 5'ish months older than Rhyz.
  • Shiro_PiShiro_Pi
    Okay just thought I'd update the situation. After some discussion, we decided to let the puppy stay at my place permanently. She's a beautiful black girl named Senbei. Apparently she came from a different breeder, I guess I got it mixed up with another acquaintance who was looking into a shiba also.

Unfortunately she game with giardia, and still has her diarrhea since day one. (Came home on July 18th) She's been on 2 different dewormers and was okay for a while, before going back to diarrhea. Possibly too much protein in her new food (Wellness Core) or a slight intolerance. Otherwise she's super energetic and playful, plus she's a huge fan of cuddling! So fingers crossed for her next visit <3