For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
  • mcarvsmcarvs
    Hi All,

Apologies in advance if this has been addressed already but I am looking for a leash with dual connection points or possibly a coupler to attach to the two connection points on my Ruffwear Webmaster harness or even my Shiba's collar and harness. I would like to add an additional layer of security has escaped in the past on a D-ring attachment and it was a very scary game of chase in which he seemed to enjoy. I now stray away from the D-ring attachments and currently use the Ruffwear Knot-a-Leash with a stronger climbing carabiner instead of the one provided. Any suggestions or help would be very much appreciated.

Here is his current setup.

Thank you kindly in advance.
    Post edited by mcarvs at 2017-05-10 16:49:41
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Here's another thread about leashes that would be useful to read through.
    http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/13073/what-type-of-leash-is-the-best/p1

Idk if by not using a D ring attachment you mean the type of ring on the collar / harness (most use a D ring or some form of D ring) or that you mean you don't want the normal style of clasp on most dog leashes (swivel bolt snaps, usually), and prefer something sturdier like a carabiner...? If you're avoiding D rings, that's more of an issue with the collar / harness rather than the type of leash. I know of very few collars that don't use a D ring (or occasionally an O ring) to attach the leash to. Some of ruffwear's collars have the same attachment ring as the webmaster, but those collars aren't a martingale / limited slip style so they would likely be easy for a Houdini shiba with a tree trunk neck to escape. :))

I think canine equipment makes a leash that has a kind of built in coupler so you can either use it with multiple dogs, or use the second clasp to attach it around your waist as a hands free leash. But I think it has standard bolt snaps. You might be able to find something more fitting to what you want on etsy or some other handmade / customizable leash. There are some harnesses that use an attachment in both the front and back (like the freedom harness), and maybe they sell the leashes they design for their harnesses separately and you could use one to attach to the back of the webmaster and a collar. But I think many of them also use bolt snaps. If you're having trouble with bolt snaps not being durable, make sure if you do buy a leash using bolt snaps that it is weight rated for a dog of his size. Stainless steel is usually quite sturdy. I also like brass.
  • sunyatasunyata
    mcarvs said:

I would like to add an additional layer of security has escaped in the past on a D-ring attachment and it was a very scary game of chase in which he seemed to enjoy. I now stray away from the D-ring attachments and currently use the Ruffwear Knot-a-Leash with a stronger climbing carabiner instead of the one provided. Any suggestions or help would be very much appreciated.

What do you mean by D-ring attachment? Almost all harnesses are going to have a D-ring as the leash attachment point. Do you have an old webmaster and the cloth tab holding the D-ring broke? If so, email Ruffwear with photos and they will replace the harness with the corrected style with a more rounded D-ring (the squared edges of the older ones would cut at the nylon).

If you mean the leash came unclipped from the harness, then the best suggestion is to find a different type of clasp. Snap bolts (standard leash clasps) are notorious for getting caught on the Ruffwear harness D-rings and coming unclipped. There are multiple types of clasps that you can get, but the most secure is a locking carabiner, such as Ruffwear's Knot-a-Leash (which you already have). Most leash couplers are going to have standard snap bolts, so those will have the same problem if this is what you meant.

If neither of these things are what you mean, please be a bit more clear and hopefully we can point you in the right direction.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • mcarvsmcarvs
    Sorry, I'll edit my original post. I guess the correct name is swivel bolt snaps. He's managed to escape those in the past when he does his regular Shiba shakes.
  • mcarvsmcarvs
    Thank you Lilikoi and sunyata for all your assistance. I too am having the issue with the rounded D-ring attachment on my Ruffwear Webmaster harness cutting into the fabric and am worried that my break. Even though it is rounded on the newer model it doesn't seem to help. That is why I wanted to add another measure of security. My shiba has also managed to escape the swivel bolt snaps ( sorry I called this a D-ring before) and that is why I went out and purchased the Knot-a-Leash with a rock climbing carabiner. My concern here is if the D-ring attachment on the Webmaster were to ever break since he can pull a lot on hikes, I could potentially lose him and I want to avoid that situation from ever presenting itself.

Thank you again for all your help with this. It appears I'd have to get a custom made leash for this or work with a coupler with 2 swivel bolt snaps in case one ever comes out and attach the carabiner to the coupler.