For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Kennel Training
  • So, my boyfriend and I are still oreparing to get out puppy, still won't be for a few months.

Anyway, I'm wondering how you guys kennel trained your Shiba(s)? What's the best way to get them to like the kennek and stay in there when it's necessary?

I've heard that giving them treats for interacting with the kennel is a good idea. How else can I get my Shiba to like her kennel?
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    Everything good happens in the kennel. Treats really are the best way, but you can also give them a really nicely stuffed kong while you set them in there for several minutes. Sit by them while they are in the kennel and pet them, give them treats, etc.
  • Mochi920Mochi920
    There's a lot of helpful threads on this forum relating to this topic already.
    I trained Mochi by selecting a really high value treat (in my case, homemade dog jerky) and whenever she goes in her room, I say room and reward her with it. For the first few times, I wouldn't recommend closing the door because they will associate going in as end of play time. But never let them take the treat out of the kennel or crate. It has to be eaten while they're there.
  • sunyatasunyata
    @AloraOfHearts - There are tons of threads on crate (kennel) training already on the thread. Please read through those and if you still have questions or want to continue the conversation, feel free to post in the most relevant existing thread. Thanks!
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)