For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
From America to Japan !
  • kitsunebikitsunebi
    It's been a bit over a week now but the first of my dogs, Kiba, has made it over to Japan!

I wanted to open up a discussion for anyone curious or interested how the process works from a non military owners point of view!

Currently now, I'm working on getting him adjusted to the new life and rules here and he's doing great! If anyone has any suggestions, post them as well !

[mod edit: changed category]
    Post edited by sunyata at 2017-04-06 12:11:32
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    Wow, Japan! Welcome to the other side of the pond ^_^ Whereabouts are you? What kind of house/apartment do you have? What kind of neighborhood (like old people, mixed, small, etc)?

Japan really is a different culture when it comes to dogs, but depending on where you are will determine how different.
  • kitsunebikitsunebi
    I'm in the northern part of Osaka going to Hyogo area.
    I just have an apartment that's pretty pet friendly. Compared to the many I've looked at, I'm allowed more than one dog and that includes large sized dogs. My neighbor above me has a large golden mix.

I think the neighborhood is kinda mixed. It is next to a high way and the river. There's a few parks and open dog runs for public use. If it was a bit closer to the station or maybe Osaka city like my old non pet friendly place, it would've been nice but oh well.

I'm seeing a few things I've had to consider changing compared to my old living arrangements with a car and lots of land.

What about you? :)
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    you are soooo lucky. I live in the outskirts of Nagoya, an "old neighborhood" (lots of people over 60 here). While I have a house, it is pretty old, too. Luckily, a dog run opened up about 10 minutes by car from us--before there was nothing!

If you have a Daiso near you, hit them up. some branches actually carry inexpensive dog-toys that are actually well made (look for the made in japan mark). Also, since it is indoors and you might be getting used to no-shoes XD I recommend baby wipes. You will appreciate them come the typhoon season. Speaking of which, I see that Osaka gets hit a few times---how is your dog with storms? (my area barely gets brushed by them XD) And fireworks! Those will be setting off in about July. That will be fun ^_^
    Post edited by Anjyil at 2017-04-06 14:12:08