For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Greeting Stretch? Body Language
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    I assume some people have read/heard of this (I am currently at the greeting section of Canine Body Language). This one really caught my attention, because there isn't much explanation about the difference between a just-waking-up stretch and a greeting stretch. My assumption is that, in the former, the dog will look at the person whom they are greeting. The latter, they will not look at anything/anyone in particular, or may even still have their eyes closed. Any veteran input?

Here is the description in the book:

"The Greeting Stretch is a posture used only towards someone the dog likes and with whom he is comfortable. There is also a version of this where the dog leans forward and stretches his rear legs out behind him.

"In the Greeting Stretch, you will see a relaxed ear carriage and squinty eyes. The dogs have a liquid, languid look about them.

"It is very flattering to have a dog greet you in this unrestrained, friendly and very respectful manner. This greeting acknowledges your personal space and is a request for the two of you to interact."
  • ZenkiZenki
    ha! so there's such a thing as a greeting stretch. maybe I have been showered with affection and greeting all this time and never knew. :)) Zenki often stretches when I pay him attention in the morning or after a few hrs of being in front of the computer. His stretch varieties include:
    1.) "Bow" stretch ; butt still up.
    2.) Snake yoga pose
    3.) full stretch
    oftentimes I hear joints popping when he stretches. Not sure if that is normal. :|
    Zenki
    Black, Tan and Awesome
    Instagram: @ShibaZenki

“Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.”
    – Ann Landers

• JackStateJackState
    Mine does this all the time, for sure!

Is there a greeting yawn too? Because he'll look at me and give a great big T-Rex-lookin' yawn with a little squeak at the end.
  • JuniJuni
    I think there is even a greeting-sneeze, at least Juni does that and sometimes a yawn and the stretch (and her joints pop too). I thought it just depended on when I come home, if I've woken her up or not.
  • Mochi920Mochi920
    Hmmm what about a stretch and yawn with a little yowl at the end that turns into a short howl lol
    Oh and in the morning she usually climbs into my lap after doing that and buries her face into me while I like rub her body :)) and she breathes heavily while doing it too haha
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    haha Like I said, it was something I read while studying body language (Specifically in Canine body language by Brenda Aloff
    @Zenki so far not sure of all the details, but the bow-stretch is probably the one...but then if he had been lying in the same position for an extended period of time, it COULD just be a stretch XD That is my confusion, too.

@JackState I don't recall a yawn being mentioned, but I am a few chapters ahead. I will double check, though.

@Juni I think it is harder to consciously sneeze, though XD I think you are right on that, but like I said...no one talks about the wake-up stretch yet.

@Mochi920 haven't heard of that one--yowling as well haha. Sounds adorable ^_^

I can't find much online, either, so I don't know if there is any meat to it. Brenda Aloff is one of the pioneers of canine language, though, so I think there must be something to it. I just wish she did a comparison. Maybe she talks about other stretches later in the book...?
  • JackStateJackState
    Ichabod consciously sneezes when he's trying to get fiance's attention in the morning. He hovers over her while she sleeps and does a huffy sneeze or two, then paw-punches her if I don't grab him and play his 16th and 28th favorite games.
  • spacedogsspacedogs
    Rhyz consciously sneezes when he's playing with Laika, it's like a hiss and spit thing similar to cats but it's a definitive sneeze that he does on purpose.

Laika does the rear stretch as part of a greeting we call the boop-sploot. She reaches up and boops us in the nose while stretching out in to a full on sploot in one smooth move. Totally adorable.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Sometimes Ozzy will "hmph" when playing and my bf calls it a sneeze, but I think it's just a hmph lol. It's not the same as like the taking air in, expelling release kind of sneeze. :)) it's just a playful "hfff" with a head shake. But when he's upside down he will almost always real sneeze. :))

Ozzy kinda greet stretches but mostly just when he's standing up to greet me when I come inside and he was lying down. I'd say it's kinda like someone walking out into the living room and greeting their family members with a stretch ha. Not necessarily waking up but moving into a space with people and saying heyyy. :P
    Post edited by Lilikoi at 2017-03-28 02:51:46
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    @JackState then I stand correct. That is kinda hilarious---would love to see a vid!

@spacedogs wow, I really have never seen an animal sneeze on purpose. Well, maybe one of these days, Coal will grace me with this mysterious phenomena. What in the world is a sploot?

@Lilikoi hmph...Sounds like Ozzy is a little prince XD But if he shakes his head, that might be a sneeze. I always saw Coal sneeze and then shake his head (never on purpose, mind you)

So how do you determine that Ozzy is doing a greeting stretch vs just stretching from being in the same position for too long? I am really curious about this aspect of stretching.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    I guess I determine whether it's directed at me / someone rather than just getting up after a nap. If it's directed at someone, he'll usually look at them and come over for pets. Like he's practicing cuteness. ;) of course he's already got cuteness down!

It's like a playful head shake haha. Doesn't even close his eyes. I'll try to get a vid at some point.
  • JackStateJackState
    It's a vigorous expulsion of air from his nose intended to be heard. I call it a sneeze :))
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    @Lilikoi that makes sense and is what I suspected ^_^ I haven't seen Coal do it yet, but then my husband wakes him up for morning walk, not usually me. Next time I will wake Coal up to see what he does ^_^ (my husband is incredibly biased about Coal's hatred towards him lol)

@JackState haha That I gotta see :D
  • Mochi920Mochi920
    @lilikoi I know what you're talking about! Mochi does the same thing and sometimes she does it so heavily she ends up snorting :))
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    @JackState well, in regards to the Yawn---there is one entry of a dog stretching and Yawning at the same time under Greeting Stretch, but nothing about a Yawn on its own being a greeting. ^_^
  • spacedogsspacedogs
    Here's an older video of Rhyz doing it as a puppy, he "sneezes" twice in this clip. He still does the exact same thing now, really reminds me of a hiss and spit from a cat lol ...

https://youtu.be/X3sFoR8xp8o
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    @spacedogs Oh man that is so cute!! Actually, I think that was a calming signal/displacement signal. Play was getting too rough, she sneezed up and then they did something else. That is the weirdest sneeze I have ever seen, though XD

(please forgive me...since I started reading up on canine body language by Brenda Aloff, I have been overanalyzing and trying to apply what I am learning to every single dog pic/vid I see. It will get worse as I am getting On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming signals.)
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    Wow, my baby kind of did a greeting stretch for me! Now I think I get it ^_^
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    @spacedogs - your vid kind of reminded me of an old video I have of Ozzy as a puppy. It was late at night but he wanted to keep playing haha, and he was giving like a frustrated sneeze while sounding like an adorable baby dinosaur. :))

https://youtu.be/d6TOC_nNQz8

I did actually let him out for a few more minutes after the vid to run around and play with some toys to let out his energy. <3
  • Mochi920Mochi920
    Awwwww puppy Ozzy! So cute.

Sometimes, it's so hard to distinguish the sounds Shibas make. They could make the most angriest and wildest sounds but it's just their way of playing >:D<
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    @Lilikoi gyaaa so cute!!! :D
  • ZenkiZenki
    Poor Ozzy. was forced to sleep as a puppy. hahaha! Why didn't zenki ever had episodes like this before?! I only hear him making a noise when he REALLY needs to go outside with an audible yawn or mini howl. Even when he doing the shiba 500, he's a very quiet dog. He would bark sometimes but never the weird shiba screams. He only does that, albeit rarely, with dogs we meet while walking.
    Zenki
    Black, Tan and Awesome
    Instagram: @ShibaZenki

“Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.”
    – Ann Landers

• LilikoiLilikoi
    Haha Zenki sounds so chill! Even Ozzy seems quite relaxed for a shiba, but he's totally vocal. He hardly ever barks. Never barks at the door or other dogs or anything. But when he's got the zoomies he's always sprinting around making dino noises lol. He's also a super loud, dramatic yawner lol.
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    @Zenki don't feel bad--coal is pretty much the same way. The only time I have heard the Shiba scream was during the shower, and when he was really young and needed to pee desperately. 90% of the time, he is quiet---even to dogs we meet on the street!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (3)