For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Elk Antlers for puppy?
  • I was curious on your thoughts about giving an 8 week old shiba puppy elk antlers to chew on. I have heard good things about elk antlers from people who've given them to their dogs but am worried about damaging the puppy's teeth. If it is an issue, at what age would you recommend for my puppy to be given the antlers?

[mod edit: changed category]
    Post edited by sunyata at 2017-03-27 12:11:53
  • Mochi920Mochi920
    I haven personally given Mochi any but I've heard a lot of other puppy owners giving theirs elk antlers and rawhide bones and they're perfectly healthy. I would rather give nylabones or rawhide free treats. There's one nylabone kind where it's venison flavored and it kind of looks like antlers.
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    From what I understand, you can't give puppies things that are too hard (bones, rawhide, antlers) because their teeth and stomachs aren't ready for it. All the packages that I have seen generally have age guidelines and, generally, if it doesn't say for puppies of that age, you shouldn't give it to them. My general rule of thumb was--if there is no age, don't give it. If it has an age and doesn't match with Coal's current age, I don't give it.
  • Mochi920Mochi920
    Oh yeah forgot to mention that as well! Nylabone has puppy chews that are great substitutes for rawhide :)
  • imBLASIANimBLASIAN
    rawhides are not good chews for dogs. There are a lot of threads discussing this.

For puppy chews, we gave ponyo bully sticks, jerky, trachea, stuffed kongs, dried fish skin, etc. You can also give a small blanket or shirt soaked in dog-safe broth and then frozen to chew on.

General rule of thumb is if you can't dent it with your fingernail, it is too hard.

There are a lot of threads on puppy chews though.
  • Thanks for all the info and suggestions regarding puppy chews. I think ill purchase nylabone and try the tshirt soaked in broth.

Would these be helpful in preventing a puppy on destroying items in the house?
    Post edited by Shiba_is_my_life at 2017-03-27 03:32:11
  • imBLASIANimBLASIAN
    To prevent destruction, I crate trained my puppy, allowing more freedom as she gets older. Otherwise she is supervised so few chances, if any, to destroy.

I never gave her nylabones because I didn't want her to chew on plastic with chemical flavoring.
  • Mochi920Mochi920
    @imblasian are you referring to the edible nylabone chews? I don't like the plastic flavored chew toys but I gave mine one or two nylabone edible chews meant for puppies thinking it was alright. She hasn't gotten sick off of any of the chews I gave her (nylabones, bullysticks, etc...) but if nylabone has a bad history I'd rather stop it right now than to keep giving it to her :-O
    Post edited by Mochi920 at 2017-03-27 13:22:08
  • ObizaObiza
    @Mochi920 some nylabones are hard as a rock. I'm guessing the puppy ones are softer but the few we've gotten as gifts for Rusty I can't mark with my nail. I do let him chew on them with supervision only because he's not a hardcore chewer and usually gets bored within a minute or two.

I think a better supplement would be a kong. You can freeze a treat inside of them to keep the puppy busy and thus hopefully less destructive as well. So it's a double win :)
  • ZenkiZenki
    i have a goat horn for my poopster. smells terrible but he actually prefers that to the bully stick. I always gave Zenki bully sticks and dried Cod Skins. Absolutely loves these two.
    Zenki
    Black, Tan and Awesome
    Instagram: @ShibaZenki

“Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.”
    – Ann Landers

• Mochi920Mochi920
    @obiza the one Mochi has can easily get a dent from my fingernail but funny thing is she doesn't like them as much so they end up just collecting dust under the sofa >:D<
    Yesss Mochi loves kongs until she gets frustrated and gives up lol she brings it over and places it in front of me and stares as if asking me to take the stuff out for her.
  • spacedogsspacedogs
    My dogs preferred teething things were bowls of ice and frozen socks. :-?? Can't complain, except when I find soggy socks in my bed.
  • Mochi920Mochi920
    @spacedogs I wish mine would chew on ice and frozen things. She will chew on ice for like 2 or 3 minutes and abandon it...with me finding puddles of water on the kitchen floor.
  • ZenkiZenki
    @spacedogs I just realized I shouldn't be throwing out the murdered socks I find in my apt. I could freeze and make chew toys out of them. Give them a new lease in life.
    Zenki
    Black, Tan and Awesome

“Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.”
    – Ann Landers

• ZenkiZenki
    Here's what I would do... buy chicken tenders or breast. boil them to be used as high value treats for training. then let the murdered socks (knotted up) to soak up the chicken broth then put the remaining broth in ice trays and freeze. chew toys and treats. nothing wasted.
    Zenki
    Black, Tan and Awesome

– Ann Landers

• LilikoiLilikoi
    I think it often depends on the dog, too. Some dogs are good at self regulating their chewing, but others will try to chomp down on something hard and can break teeth. Ozzy had recreational bones, cow hooves, antlers, horns, etc. even when he was a brand new puppy haha... I wonder if it may have even helped him learn to regulate his chewing, while a dog that has had only edible and soft things to chew on might not know when not to chomp down on something hard.

I like the split antlers but don't give too many cus they're high in magnesium. Which is very good unless they have a ton ha. Ozzy also loves goat horns and water buffalo horns. I can't stand the smell of hooves ugh. So I don't give them. I throw stuff away when they're starting to look beat or if they chip at all. Ozzy also loooves Himalayan chews, which are edible. But I haven't gotten them as often after trying an order online and receiving all brittle, easily shattered chews... They're much more affordable online but not worth it to me. The ones I've gotten in stores can be worn down with nibbling but don't just break apart in pieces like the online (same brand) ones did. I don't give him non edible chews unsupervised. He loooves fish skin chews especially, and also has bully sticks fairly often. There are too many horror stories about rawhide for me to consider that lol. Especially ones that aren't made in the USA (which is most of them), I would neverrrr allow. I've never tried other rawhide either, and likely will never. I also feed frozen kongs with freshly ground peanut butter (especially make sure there is no xylitol in the ingredients) or plain Greek yogurt.

I know some people don't want to risk it with harder chews like horns, hooves, bones, etc. I would make the same choice if Ozzy weren't such a responsible, self regulating nibbled hehe. But I still mostly just give fish skins, bully sticks, frozen kongs, etc. Edible snack chews.
    Post edited by Lilikoi at 2017-03-28 03:10:33
  • jaimeismejaimeisme
    Hi there, I used to give my puppy (10-12 weeks old at the time) elk antler because I heard so many good things about it and my puppy loves it! But when I went to vet check up, the vet noticed one of her canine was a little chipped! So she told me anything that is hard to destroy or close to indestructible is too hard on a dog's teeth. Especially for puppies, not to give really hard objects to chew on. Since my puppy's teeth were still baby teeth, so it was not a big concern. But yea, I listened to my vet and took away the elk antler. My puppy is also a big chewer, so she will go at it for 20 mins straight. So I got her a kong and rope toys which is a lot softer on the teeth but still satisfying to chew on. But I guess also depends on how much of a chewer your puppy is. This is my personal opinion. hope it helps! :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)