For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
  • lilyreedslilyreeds
    Hi there! My name is Jenna and I have a 6 year old female shiba inu, Lily. I got her when she was 10 weeks old (from a shiba breeder) and have had her ever since. We recently moved to Los Angeles after living in Brooklyn this whole time. The apartment I live in is the first floor of an older house and she has managed to escape three different times… thankfully neighbors called me each time to come pick her up from their home. I am trying to figure out what to do with her. I don’t know if I should crate her because she hasn’t been crated since she was a puppy. I know she will flip out. Also, my upstairs neighbor has been getting on me about how much Lily cries during the day. I’m at a lost of what to do. I don’t know if it would be better for me to crate her and have a dog nanny/dog walker come throughout the day or if I should give her to a loving family where she can run and play all day. She is so loving with humans, not so much with other dogs.

Lily is sweet and loving with people. She will make you feel special in just one introduction. She simply loves to be around humans. If I decide to find another home for her, I want it to be where there is usually someone home for a couple hours during day. My nursing schedule has me working 5 days a week and I feel so bad that I have to leave lily alone in a brand new apartment in a crate..
  • imBLASIANimBLASIAN
    Hi Jenna - How many hours do you work a day? My girl is generally only left alone for 6 hours, but we have left her alone for longer than that and she has been fine. However, she was crate trained from the beginning and currently she only free-roams our bedroom.
  • Mochi920Mochi920
    How does she escape when you're not around to catch her? Or are you home and she just slips out the door on accident?

A lot of people crate their dogs while they are away. How many hours are you away? There are dog day camps and also dog walkers but they can become costly. However, if you have the extra money to do that, you may not have to rehome her.
    Judging by how you introduced lily in your last paragraph, it seems as if you're already trying to find people who may be interested in her. There are shiba rescues that you can reach out to as well.

If you really don't want to rehome her, you could wake up an hour or two earlier and tire her out by walking her or playing with her before you leave so that she'll be knocked out throughout the day. Or instead of crating her in a small area, you can give her more space by setting up an ex-pen or you could even turn a room into her room that she'll have all to herself instead of a small crate.
    Post edited by Mochi920 at 2017-03-21 23:29:40
  • JackStateJackState
    I would think it would be easier to dog-proof a home than to make radical changes in yours and your dog's schedule. How is she getting out of closed doors+windows+walls? Is she on a porch or something?
  • lilyreedslilyreeds
    Hey guys. Thanks for the replies. Right now I'm working 8 hours a day and have to leave my place super early in the morning. It's obviously not ideal. I left the window cracked open and Lily ate through a screen and squeezed herself through the safety bars. I'm in a really old house and the windows are old and she figured out how to pop the latch on the windows. I'm looking into dog walkers. Unfortunately she can't go to doggy day care because she really doesn't get along with other dogs. Has anyone had an adult shiba and were able to curb this behavior? I would love for her to hang out with other dogs. When she was a puppy she was very social.
  • Mochi920Mochi920
    I think some doggy day cares do one on ones because there's one here in NC that do so maybe over there they might have one too? If not, then a walker would be ideal. Does she not get along with every dog she meets or just certain ones?
  • JackStateJackState
    Don't let a mechanical issue dictate your life (I'm in engineer mode right now). You could ask your landlord to fix his property. If he doesn't do his job, getting your own handyman once would be cheaper than a dog walker indefinitely. Put something in front of the window, be it furniture or chicken wire--apparently ingress/egress building codes aren't an issue of there are bars on the window anyway.

That said, I do like your idea of doggy daycare for a separate reason: your dog sounds lonely. Life has thrown you both a curveball right? It sucks, and it's got you thinking about the nuclear option of rehoming Lily. Reasonable fears from both of you. Maybe a dog behavior professional can help her with her anxiety and help y'all settle in to your new lives--in your apartment with completely sealed exits.
  • lilyreedslilyreeds
    It's bizarre. She will growl at most dogs but if the other dog growls first, she will be silent. I'm going to look into doggy day care one on one. Thanks for the advice.
  • Mochi920Mochi920
    You're trying your hardest to fix this dilemma and I'm sorry I couldn't give better advice :(

Like @jackstate said, you can always dog proof your windows with more than just bars! Or you can make the space between the bars smaller so she can't squeeze through.
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    kikopup on youtube offers advice on how to train your dog to be left alone in their crate/playpen/house. That might be worth looking into. It will take time, but it might help a little. Dog-proofing the house should definitely be a priority, I think. Such escapes could end in a tragedy.

I don't know anything about dog walkers or doggy day care, but another option is that if you have a friend you trust whom your dog likes, you can ask your friend to maybe hang out with the dog in the afternoon or whenever if they have the time.

I'd watch the silent thing---that can be a bad sign. I learned that the hard way XD Watch her posture and eyes. I have heard of rehabilitating some dogs to be tolerant around others, but I have also heard that Shibas are unique in their aloofness as they get older. My pup is only 6 months so I can't really say which is most accurate in that, or most helpful, but it is something to consider.
  • JuniJuni
    A full working day is way too long for her to be home alone. Crating her won't cure her separation anxiety, only lessen the damage to your apartment.
    I think doggy day cares are different in the US than in Sweden so a dog walker or a neighbor might be your best option.
    Here in daycare the dogs are placed in smaller groups depending on personality. So my shiba who doesn't like most dogs is doing fine because she is in a group with dogs her size who are pretty calm, they know each other and the rules of the place. So they become a little pack.
  • ZenkiZenki
    There are exercise pens to give lily a bit more space than a crate would. Or if your bathroom has a high window, you can put her in there or any room that you can control her access. You probably just need to give her time to get used to her new home. How was she behaving back in brooklyn? Was she a flight risk even then?
    Zenki
    Black, Tan and Awesome
    Instagram: @ShibaZenki

“Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.”
    – Ann Landers

• spacedogsspacedogs
    Our local'est doggy daycare does the same as Juni's, so the dogs are always in appropriate groups though they also offer "suites" where the dog can be alone and get one on one play time with an associate throughout the day.

We've never had to use it, we just did the due diligence on our options should we need to use it at some point.
  • imBLASIANimBLASIAN
    Even if you don't crate, you could restrict the area she has access to through various exercise pens and baby gates.

If, for example, she bolts out the door whenever you open it, you could put a baby gate in your entrance so it would essentially be two doors she would have to go through.
  • lilyreedslilyreeds
    Thank you all for the replies! This is really useful information. I will keep you guys posted on fingers crossed, everything in the apartment is repaired so she can't escape anymore!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)