For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Normal Pricing for Neuter + Pup shots?
  • BiohazardiaBiohazardia
    Hi all,

I've been searching around for both a good and affordable vet since I'm bringing home my Shiba soon. I called one vet office with promising reviews and was told that for 3 shots at 12 weeks & a checkup would be 125$, and a neuter would cost 439.50$. I talked to my boyfriend (he is co-owning the pup with me) about this and he thinks it's incredibly expensive, as his family has always opted for lowest-cost neuters(~65-90$ for a neuter)/shots at places like ASPCA. I do have a suspicion that these prices are pretty expensive, since the AKC website says that a whole set of shots should only be 75-100$.

So I was wondering: how much did you all pay for neutering/spaying and the initial puppy checkup/shot series? Or even your dog's initial checkup if you got him/her post-puppyhood? Do you think the vet might be charging extra since I said my pup is a Shiba Inu and these dogs have a reputation for being awful with the vet? I'm trying to figure out what a "normal" price is without having to grossly overpay, without running the risk of underpaying and getting poor (and potentially unsafe) service. I live in Maryland which is somewhat more expensive of a state than most in the US, so points if you also live in an expensive state. (However I'd really like to hear everyone's opinions).

I searched the forums and couldn't find this topic elsewhere, but would be happy to merge if it has already been discussed.
    Post edited by Biohazardia at 2017-03-13 22:18:13
  • Mochi920Mochi920
    I have doggy insurance and I pay 40 a month. This includes free vaccinations and visits, as well as spay/neuter. I asked how much it would be if I were to ditch the insurance and just pay for the spay out of pocket and she said it would be 330 just for the procedure, which means the e-collar and pain killers would be extra charge. I don't know if that's expensive or cheap since Mochi is my first dog but comparing the quotes they gave me to yours, it seems average.
  • JackStateJackState
    That is high, but that's my perspective as an Alabaman. We payed $300, and that included the blood test to make damn sure the anesthesia wouldn't kill him. Our regular animal hospital, not a clinic that primarily does neuter/spays for shelter dogs (that's the low cost option). But our experiences are different because yours is only 12 weeks old. Surely that ups the cost.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    I think it can really depend on the location, too. I went with the most expensive neutering option in my area, all the upgrades (laser surgery, IV fluids, preemptive pain management, bloodwork and more). and it was $150. They have a deal where if you pay for 2 of the upgrades, they'll give you an additional upgrade free (like free laser treatment when you pay for the IV fluids and bloodwork). But I live in a small town, and it took me a super long time to find a vet that I trust to do the procedure haha. Most vets here specialize more in farm animals than cats and dogs. They're often very cheap, but not very professional in my opinion... I had several hundred dollars in vet bills already set apart for his neuter and vaccines.
  • BiohazardiaBiohazardia
    Thanks so much for responding! I should have clarified -I'm not neutering at 12 weeks, that's probably unsafe. I'm just doing the checkup and shots at 12 weeks. However I also asked vets what the neuter price was just out of curiosity. I expect I'll neuter him at 6 months per usual.
  • spacedogsspacedogs
    Location matters in these things, as far as using something like the ASPCA for your neuter and shots that's fine if it's available to you but where will you go for your other regular or emergency care needs? The pro of Vet clinics over things like the ASPCA or a local humane society that runs cheaper clinics is personalized care and a staff that knows your pets medical history without asking you an hours worth of questions when you might not have an hour to save their life.

We're very fortunate to live a short drive from a 24 hour animal hospital that doesn't charge a premium for being 24 hours (their regular rates are cheaper than any other Vet save for the SPCA and humane society clinics) and they do their own plans. For Rhyzik we paid $840 CDN (about $625 USD) for his first year plan, and that included the following:

- 8, 12, and 16 week vaccines
    - 3x deworming
    - 2x fecal floats
    - heartworm test in the spring
    - heartworm and flea medicine for 6 months
    - kennel cough vaccine
    - 6x nail trims
    - 6x ear cleanings
    - 2 baths
    - pre-op blood screen
    - neuter
    - microchipping
    - unlimited office consultations 24/7/365
    -5% discount on all other medications, surgical procedures, and baths

That second last one is literally worth its weight in gold because it allows us to be far more proactive than reactive when it comes to their health and anything we suspect (irrationally fear if I'm to be honest here lol). Maybe this is expensive for some places, but for where we live the next cheapest clinic is a 2 hour drive away, isn't 24 hours, and doesn't have the same sort of plan options to allow us flexibility in caring for our pets.

It's really up to you guys in what you see as getting value for your money here. These are expensive little dogs, and I love my furbabies to pieces, so for us we see value in having a staff that knows us and our pets when we call, and I don't have to panic or worry that maybe they won't know that Laika is allergic to chicken or that Komrade Kitty has kidney disease and heart disease and needs a delicate balance of fluid intake. I don't worry because I have the peace of mind in knowing they know my furbabies medical histories and will give them the best possible care and that if I'm worried or missing them at 3 in the morning I can call and someone will answer and put me at ease.
  • @spacedogs: WOW!! Yet another reason to move to Canada. :D
    I dig that plan and would completely do that if I had ever heard of that option. (It's never even occurred to me to ask whether it exists here...)

If you're near Seattle, Dr Emily Zoulas is the vet at the Seattle Animal Shelter and is a GREAT vet for Neuter/Spays -- she's been there doing that for about 25 years and any Shiba will be about $150. Outside that and vaccines, I'd agree that a solid relationship with a solid vet is priceless and I'm pretty sure that $300~$350 is the going rate in Seattle.
    Post edited by EmpressSachi at 2017-03-15 01:24:03
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)