For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Hund-n-Flocken for Seizures?
  • KeikoKeiko
    I have been reading the forums, there is not a whole lot of discussion around Hund-n-Flocken food, only a few mentions. I know a lot of the forums go raw. However, our Shiba was recently diagnosed with epilepsy. After monitoring her seizures for about a year, we recently had a few really bad grand-mal seizures and our vet recommended medication. She recently started the meds, and they seem to be working well. We get her blood tested again this weekend to check her levels after the first month of medication.

We have been reading a lot about seizures and came across some articles about Hund-n-Flocken, and how it may help with seizures. For now, I don't want to introduce to many variables while the pup is starting her meds. But I wanted to know if anyone on the forums can confirm switching to this diet/brand (or any other) may help with her seizure levels etc. Thanks
  • spacedogsspacedogs
    Hi Keiko, I don't have any experience with this in dogs but your post piqued my interest (I'm pretty familiar with the ketogenic diet for controlling seizures in people and was wondering if there were any similarities).

From what I could gather te main review I noticed about the Hund-n-Flocken food in particular was because it was salt free & their dog had reactions to high salt content foods. I was also able to find some studies that tried ketogenic type diets in dogs (high healthy fat content, low carbohydrates) and they reported improvements in most subjects so there are reasonable grounds to make a case for a raw diet with added fish oil.

I was wondering if your Vet had figured out what was causing your pups seizures? Have you tried making a major dietary switch already? Do you know if she has any food allergies or sensitivities?

If you're looking for more natural ways to treat seizures, another option to consider is maybe the CBD infused dog treat products. Cannabidiol is wildly successful at treating epilepsy and seizures in humans and has thus far worked remarkably well in dogs, too. Cannabidiol is non-psychoactive so there's no fear about getting your pet high. If you're in the States there's a company called Wonder Dog Superfoods who's CBD infused treat received positive reviews from other pet owners who's dogs have seizures, and there's a company called Canna-Pet that has a line of CBD products for dogs that gives you way more options if you have a picky pet or allergies to deal with.

• KeikoKeiko
    Vet confirmed the seizures were not metabolic. We were very reluctant to start her on medication, and so was the vet, so during the year we kept a log of any seizures. Throughout the year of monitoring her seizures we were unable to determine their cause. We found no patterns. What we did see is the seizures were becoming more frequent, and exponentially longer each time. The most recent of which was approximately 3 minutes (grand-mal) and the after effects were very disturbing. After that one, neither we or the vet were willing to risk it any longer, therefore we started the medication. So far so good, but we will check her blood this weekend again to determine next steps (if any). We are keeping our fingers crossed that the current medication will be enough to allow her a normal life.

We have not switched her diet. She developed allergies around age 2 (shes now 3), but we believe them to be environmental, not diet. She takes apoquel, which works like a miracle. But we have become curious about diet after researching the seizures. We have a medical family, and also read the about the diets in humans, and a few articles which stated canine's have had similar results.

At this point we are just trying to determine if there is any other steps we can take, along with the medication, to help alleviate seizures going forward and make her happy.
    Post edited by Keiko at 2017-02-27 21:01:41
  • spacedogsspacedogs
    I think looking in to the ketogenic diet and CBD's might be of some benefit for your dog, far less dangerous than adding another medication in to the mix with Apoquel, which is dangerous enough in its own right long term. From your time line the seizures started around the same time as the allergy was diagnosed and treatment with Apoquel began, did the seizures start before or after the first dose of Apoquel? If it was after, have you tried removing the allergy treatment from the equation for a week or two to see if the seizures are a result of it (if her allergies would be manageable in that time frame)?
  • KeikoKeiko
    Her seizures started before giving her apoquel (we just started monitoring them closely during the last year when they became more frequent). Intially we though it was a one off, or a reaction to something specific. The allergies correspond to our move from MD to GA. She had no allergies in MD, and there were no other variables besides the move. GA certainly has more allergens and foliage, and now she has a large fenced in back yard she frequents. In fact, her allergies die down in the fall/winter and apoquel is barely needed. Without the apoquel she will scratch both of her sides down to her undercoat.
    Post edited by Keiko at 2017-02-27 23:36:15
  • spacedogsspacedogs
    Ah interesting, so her allergy is potentially a regionally specific pollinator or something particular to your new home that wasn't in your previous one.

Are you adverse to the cannibinoids? I know some are more adverse to it than others but if you have access for the dog treats or supplements it would probably give you the best results. My Aunt uses it for their Cavalier King Charles and has seen their seizures disappear completely over the past few months (want to point out that they did the DNA testing to rule out EFS first).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)