For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
"Play Dead"
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    Okay, I want to teach my shiba pup to lay on his side so that it will be easier to brush him. Now, I have been brushing him on my lap and so he is usually naturally laying on his side. He is getting too big for that, so time to transition before he is actually too big for it.

So any tips? I have tried luring him...I barely get him to shift his weight onto on or the other hip. He'll try to catch the treat and reach up with his neck, but any attempt to twist or turn him with the lure results in him turning his head the other way or jumping up or coming out of his shifted weight position. He is so stiff and jumpy anytime food is involved. I have tried to look for shaping opportunities...but alas, the only time he sleeps on his side the way I want him is when he is so dead to the world that not even the sound of my voice awakens him!

any ideas? Or is this going to take a while? Lay down was kind of hard for him to begin with.
  • JuniJuni
    Juni is six years old and I have never managed to get her to roll over on command. Just saying... :-)
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    That is exactly what I am worried about. It would be much easier to groom him when he is lying down :/ I'll keep trying..who knows?
  • Well from what ive seen, making them stand and stay seems to be best

https://youtube.com/watch?v=a9b6pTI739E
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    unfortunately he can not stand still :-/ He will lay quite calmly when on my lap, so I thought to keep that. I have seen lots of videos of brushing while they are laying down, too--especially in Japan. May be a cultural thing.
  • Mochi920Mochi920
    I actually taught my puppy how to lay on her side/back when I say "bang!" LOL

It took a day and a half. The best thing to do first is to teach him to be comfortable enough with down.

Edit: It was very difficult at first to get Mochi to stay down and follow the treat, onto her side. She would always jump up instead of rolling over. Sometimes, I would have to let her bite my hand while she goes over into her side and then give her the treat when she licks my hand.
    Post edited by Mochi920 at 2017-02-15 14:03:31
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    I guess Coal will take more time then. Not only does he jump up, he twists and contorts his neck and sometimes change direction when he realizes which way the treat is going XD He has down pretty good now. I can get him to do it even when he doesn't see me and sometimes outside, too.

Maybe just get him to shift his weight and go from there. ^_^;
  • Mochi920Mochi920
    Yes, Mochi was the same lol another method that worked with me is she would get frustrated with me sometimes and lay down on her side and I would reward her for that :))
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Ozzy also knows play dead as "bang" and is great at it lol. I had a treat and would put him in down, then slide the treat slowly toward him and beside him until he flopped over to get it, then click and treat. At first I started with just him like turning toward the treat and not standing back up etc, and he figured out very quickly what to do to get treats lol.
  • imBLASIANimBLASIAN
    Ponyo knows "Roll Over" so "Play Dead" was just stopping that in the middle. To teach her to roll over, i had her lay down, held the treat in front of her nose, and then slowly moved the treat over her shoulder, curving over her back to her other side. Her nose followed the treat over her shoulder and she flops over on her side and then back to keep following it. Then we worked on the command without the treat guidance and now she is at the point where she will do it from standing up.

For brushing, I just catch Ponyo when she is laying down and then brush her. She likes a good scratching too, so she automatically rolls to the side so i can get her good spots.
  • Mochi920Mochi920
    Yeah the best way is to get him to lie down and then slowly drift the treat towards his shoulder sideways, making sure his nose is touching the treat.
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    @Mochi920 That is pretty much what I ended up doing, waiting him out until he shifted onto his hip.

@Lilikoi I don't know that sliding would work. He will kind of lunge towards it without getting up or shifting at all. He gets more tense with treats.

@imBLASIAN I tried that, but as I described, he just kind of twists around the other way or backs up to get it.

I did have a break through. I waited him out to get him to shift his weight, then clicked that. He shifted onto his right hip. The problem was, if he laid on his side, he would be facing away from me. So he would sometimes turn his head and his weight would slightly shift as if he was going to lay on his shoulder a bit more. I would click and treat it---unfortunately, he thought he was being clicked for turning! He started whipping his head back and forth quickly trying to anticipate the treat :)) It was hilarious--but not what I wanted. When I tried to wait him out again, he just popped back up into sphinx pose . But I can at least get him to relax his hind legs. That is a start.
  • Mochi920Mochi920
    I always find it so cute and amusing when they do a trick and afterwards they look for the treat while in the pose of the command haha like when I get mine to play dead, she rolls over onto her back and like cross eyed stares at me waiting for the treat :))
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    ^_^ This is the first really funny thing he has done lol Usually he just randomly offers stuff if he feels we aren't delivering fast enough XD
  • Mochi920Mochi920
    @anjyil oh my god yesss!!!! XD
    They start doing all sorts of commands with us even asking!
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    haha unfortunately...he won't offer the one closest to what I ask in the case of a new one XD The only way we got him to learn down was by putting a piece of cheese in his face. He learned it immediately---literally. Or maybe he just stopped being stubborn XD Reluctant to give him too much cheese as it seems like he doesn't fully digest it.
  • imBLASIANimBLASIAN
    @Anjyil - Yea Ponyo did that too sometimes when we were first working on it, we just had to keep at it, and then one day it just clicked.
  • Mochi920Mochi920
    Yeah I worried about too much cheese as well too but the more often I fed my dog cheese, the better her body began to adjust to it. We started giving her cheese around 3 months and she wouldn't poop for a whole day so we stopped but I gave it to her again and she was perfectly fine.
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    @imBLASIAN yup, never give up! He got a bit closer today. I was able to move the treat at just the right level to turn his head without him twisting out, but sometimes he got too excited. Turned out he hadn't had any play time yet, so he was too fidgety. Maybe tomorrow ^_^ But we did get closer!

@Mochi920 ewww poor pooch! Luckily he doesn't have that problem, but the cheese came out half-melted sometimes. It is off and on, so I think if we only give him one or two, he should be fine.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (4)