For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
What Order?
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    I have seen all these wonderful posts about the different brushes to use--from Zoom Groom to Furminator to the handy-dandy slicker. It seems some people use two or more brushes, sometimes (especially in the shedding season)

My question is--which do you usually use first? What order are they used in? For example, do you go Furminator and then slicker, or do you use a pin brush to get out the snarls first? Or do you use the slicker before anything else?

This question is driving me nuts. I have to keep the hair under a tight reign for the sake of my in-laws (they were very kind in letting me get this puppy). I'm not worried about which brushes to use, just what order to use them in. Since everyone tends to have slightly different tools, these are the ones I have seen posted about around this forum and others:

Pin brush
    Bristle
    Rake (not the bladed kind)
    *Furminator
    Slicker
    Rubber Curry brush
    Comb

I know everyone has the ones they like and don't like, but I just want to know the general order so I can take care of his coat as efficiently as possible.

(* Furminator would only be used during coat-blowing season and then maybe monthly, if that. I know how very dangerous it can be if not used properly)
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    I usually go for the zoom groom, which loosens up the fur very well, and then a rake to get the loose pieces. He's only experienced one coat blow so far, but that worked great. When not blowing, I usually use a slicker brush.
    Post edited by Lilikoi at 2017-02-11 19:04:04
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    Thanks Lilikoi!
  • Mochi920Mochi920
    I use the zoom groom to loosen up the fur and then go in afterwards with a small cushion brush because most of the loose fur falls out with the use of the ZG and not much brushing is needed afterwards.
    The only time I use ONLY the ZG and not any other brushes is when we give her a bath. We use the ZG while giving her a bath. Wet fur + ZG works wonders in removing loose fur so we don't find the need to do an extra step of brushing.
    We've only dealt with puppy coat blowing, not the actual coat blow so I can't speak for that lol when Mochi was younger, her puppy fur was shedding sooooo much.
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    Thanks Mochi--yeah, I have been noticing a lot of fur flying with the coat changing from Puppy to Adult. It seems like Coal will go through the full coat blowing this spring season, though...kind of nervous! haha

What do you mean by a small cushion brush? Do you mean the pin brush?
  • Mochi920Mochi920
    Yeah thats what I meant haha except mine doesn't have steel pins. It's more like a rubber pin similar to the the texture of the ZG.
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    nice ^_^ I haven't seen a brush like that, I think.
  • Mochi920Mochi920
    Yeah, I got it sent to me from family in Korea :) I haven't been able to find something similar to it here in NC.
  • ObizaObiza
    I use the ZG and then follow with a slicker brush to pick up all the lose hairs that haven't floated away. When bathing I only use ZG as well. I also have the shopvac on standby to clean the brushes... way easier than picking out the hair. I've seen the rubber gloves with rubber pins on them at stores but never tried one.
  • JuniJuni
    The furminator is only useful at certain stages during shedding I think. You will notice. And Juni doesn't like it at all so I only use it when it is needed. I usually start with a zoom groom type of brush, which also seems to stimulate "hair loss" and then move on to a pin brush or the furminator. I pretty much only wash or brush her when she is shedding.
    The zoom groom seems to feel quite nice so I think that can be useful to use if you try to teach the dog to be ok with grooming.
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    @Mochi920 I would think we would have seen something similar...Japan isn't so far from Korea ^_^ I will keep my eyes open, it sounds interesting.

@Obiza I would so love to get one of those vacuum thingies. But we still have to work on Coal with the Vacuum itself..and no place to put it ^_^;

@Juni Yeah, I have heard a lot of Furminator only being useful during the big blow, and damaging otherwise if used improperly. So far, coal doesn't really seem to mind any brushes, but he has entered his Drama Queen phase, so who knows what will happen next time I sit down with him XD
  • Mochi920Mochi920
    I'm sure you will find one in Japan :)
    And btw the rubber glove fur remover sucks! I had one and the fur stuck alright but it was soooo messy and my pup HATED it. One time I brought it out to use and she started barking and growling at it which she hasn't never done :))
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    I don't think I will get those gloves. Hard to clean and I never liked that style. I prefer the brush styles ^_^

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)