For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Shiba's and GoPro
  • ZenkiZenki
    Has anybody tried and successfully captured decent GoPro footage from a dog perspective? If yes, can you show pictures of your gear? What harness did you use and how the GoPro is mounted?

I tried last night of doing an improvised mount on a Julius K9 harness and the resulting video was awful so I'm looking for ideas and suggestions from people here.

I will share a link to the video later if it ever uploads to flickr.

Thanks!
    Untitled
    Black, Tan and Awesome
    Instagram: @ShibaZenki

“Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.”
    – Ann Landers

• spacedogsspacedogs
    I am very interested in pursuing this with you! I've got a couple of the GoPro mounting attachments, I'll see tomorrow if any of them work well with the k9 harness!

Good thinking!
  • sunyatasunyata
    I have a friend who uses the GoPro Fetch harness with his dog and loves it.

However, it should be noted that he has a Vizsla that is off leash most of the time (the dog has amazing recall). The harness does not have leash attachments, so if your dog needs to be leashed, s/he will need to be comfortable being leashed on a collar versus harness.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • ZenkiZenki
    @sunyata I did see that GoPro Fetch harness and noticed it had no leash loops. since that harness has 2 gopro mounts (chest and back), I wonder if I can fashion a gopro mount with a loop to attach a carabiner or latch. so I can attach the gopro in one and the leash in the other unused mount.

back to the drawing board!!!
    Untitled
    Black, Tan and Awesome

“Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.”
    – Ann Landers

• LilikoiLilikoi
    Keep me updated on what options you find, @Zenki!! I did a bit of searching when Ozzy was younger, but I didn't find anything that exciting and kinda gave up / forgot about it. :/
  • ZenkiZenki
    Ummm... i ordered the gopro fetch harness. And here is the resulting video...
    https://flic.kr/p/RBv1cA

It has two mounts, chest and back. I thought i could mount a gopro rollbar mount on one of them so i can leash onto that rollbar mount but its not compatible... so i need to be more creative about it.

I will try this out soon at the dog park. Hahaha!!!
    Untitled
    Black, Tan and Awesome

– Ann Landers

• LilikoiLilikoi
    That's awesome!!! Man the shiba shake experienced from the back of a shiba is intense. ;) hah I actually love watching his little head and perspective of everything. I thought the back-cam would be annoying. But I wanna see mooooore! :)
  • spacedogsspacedogs
    I was toying with the persons chest mounted harness, and I actually think it might be adaptable to fastening on, just gotta get the dogs sensitized to it over the next few days and see if they'll let me strap it on them.

How do you like the Fetch harness so far? I'm debating getting it but am hesitant because I just don't know how much I'd actually use it. We got the GoPro for my son to use skiing, no one else really uses it much heh.
  • ZenkiZenki
    I've really tried it that one time on the video. Fresh out of the box. ;)) Planning on taking him out to the dog park with the harness this coming weekend if it's dry. but come spring/summer, I will make more videos as we venture out to the hiking trails. I will capture videos and the timelapse setting (This might be less headache inducing than the swaying video. :-& )
    Untitled
    Black, Tan and Awesome

– Ann Landers

• LilikoiLilikoi
    @Zenki - any added recommendations about the Fetch harness?? My bf's dad bought us a GoPro, and of course I wanna get a harness for Ozzy to use it lol. But I'm wondering if I should buy the gopro brand or just a $10-$20 off brand one. I'm kinda all about wanting the real deal haha, but I'm not sure how often I'll use it. It'll be cool to try out. But after I try it out a few times, I'll probably prefer to document adventures using other mounts or drone, idk.

I think i read that the GoPro fetch allows you to take off the chest mount to accommodate smaller dogs. I haven't been able to tell if the off brand ones I've looked at can remove the chest mount or not. The chest mount just seems like a weird angle that I probably wouldn't use often. Then the back mount is kind of annoying in the way that the world shifts back and forth as the dog moves. :)) but maybe with an off brand harness that issue would be exacerbated.
  • ZenkiZenki
    @Lilikoi i actually have not tried the chest mount. maybe i would try it out sometime. but you've seen the video from the back mount. it gives an interesting perspective. Video while walking is serviceable. full speed running and the video is just shaking too violently. it has to be slowed down before the video becomes bearable to watch. I would also probably try timelapse photography.

I stopped taking videos because processing videos took forever in my old laptop. I have a new one now but you just now reminded me of taking poopy perspective videos! =))

Here's what i will add video samples in the future:
    1.) a video taken from the chest mount (walking on a leash)
    2.) video taken from the chest mount (offleash)
    3.) timelapse photography of a hike from the back mount.
    4.) This is back mount and offleash (full speed playback) : https://flic.kr/p/SvNHiZ
    5.) this is back mount and offleash (at half speed playback) : https://flic.kr/p/TaGkr3

this may take awhile...
    Untitled
    Black, Tan and Awesome

– Ann Landers

Post edited by Zenki at 2017-07-26 18:46:30
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    @Zenki - that sounds epic. I won't get to try ours out until I'm back in Idaho next month, but I can't wait to experiment. :D maybe I'll try a cheapo brand one just to test it out and see how it compares... Amazon does have a lovely return policy haha.
  • ZenkiZenki
    i would imagine that all dog mounted gopro's will produce shaky videos. so it all comes down to price, fit, and durability. gopro fetch fits nicely. entire strap system is made of stretchy material. can't say anything about durability yet. and what i don't like about it is that vigorous activity will 'unhook' the straps. It doesn't have buckles. it's one end with a plastic 'C' or 'G' shaped clasp that hooks thru a loop on the other end of the strap.
    Untitled
    Black, Tan and Awesome

– Ann Landers

• LilikoiLilikoi
    It seems like most are just knock offs that try to generally do the same thing as the fetch, but probably use cheaper materials... idk I'll keep shopping around and will start testing some options in August.
  • ZenkiZenki
    ohhhh!!!! i will make a barnhunt gopro video when my local group sets one up again. and hopefully a dockdiving video if zenki proves akin to diving into water willingly and intentionally.
    Untitled
    Black, Tan and Awesome

– Ann Landers

• LilikoiLilikoi
    Ooh nice! I went to a dog show last minute on Sunday and they had barnhunt! But I only had time to go at the very end of the last day haha. Wish I had known about it earlier!
  • ZenkiZenki
    Ok, so i took zenki for a hike this weekend and tried some of these things...

Here's what i will add video samples in the future:
    1.) a video taken from the chest mount (walking on a leash) <<< alot more shaky than the back mount because the chest pad is wide enough to reach both front legs so it sways to the side in every step. a dog with a wider chest probably fare better in this setup.<br />2.) timelapse photography of a hike from the chest mount. <<< absolutely horrible. every single photo had motion blur. it probably didn't help that the trail was pretty shady because of all the trees and it was after 7pm... so photos needed slower shutter speed to get proper exposure.<br />
    samples will be uploaded in the near future... maybe this weekend.
    Untitled
    Black, Tan and Awesome

– Ann Landers

• LilikoiLilikoi
    @Zenki - lol I missed this update and was coming to say the same thing about the chest mount. I got the GoPro dog harness in the mail a few days ago and have been trying it out. I really don't like it though... lol. Like you, I found the chest mount to be SUPER BAD. :)) Had some occasional fun clips when he was standing 100% still and sniffing something, but otherwise it was sooo shaky, it's useless for small pups. So, the back mount IMO sits too far back... I think it would fit better on bigger dogs, but since Ozzy is quite small, it sits almost back to his hips, and Shibas are just great at that butt-shaking strut lol. I think if it were up closer to his shoulders (but not right on top of his shoulders) it would be more stable and less shaky...? Not totally sure.

It wasn't horribly shaky when I had the chest mount piece on and was using the back camera. But I think it would be way worse if he was running. I took the chest mount off to see if that would fit him better, but it made the back camera shake a lot worse. Any time he would shiba shake, it would be sitting like on the side of his body lol, even when it felt uncomfortably tight.

So I just really don't even like the construction of the thing. I dislike the stretchy straps, because they tend to just sit right up in his armpits, which he really hates, and I wouldn't want it to cause chafing. I also feel like the front straps sit too low and far over his upper legs, and like they would restrict movement and cause an unnatural gait the way that the EasyWalk harness is known to do. Maybe Ozzy is just shrimpy compared to Zenki and it just fits him strangely. I have spent a lot of time messing with the adjustments, trying to get the front straps to sit higher and the middle straps so sit out of his armpits, and to just try to get the thing to stay stable lol.

I ordered a random generic harness off of amazon that is designed more like the Julius k9 harness with a camera mount. I'm not sure if it'll be any good, since it's also supposed to fit dogs of all sizes... it might be way too big for him. But I thought it was worth a try. If it doesn't work, I'll probably just order another Julius k9 harness in his size and attach a mount to it myself haha. Or I'd also consider buying another ruffwear webmaster to make into a camera harness, too... Depends on where the sweet spot would be for minimum shakiness haha. I'll have to update with what kind of harness ends up working the best for him. I've also considered getting like one of those gooseneck arms so the camera could be dangling overhead / pointed toward him and his face lol. But I think that might just be too annoying for a dog to deal with, and probably too heavy...? I have no idea how much those things weigh.

Also, the GoPro I'm using is the smaller "Sessions," so I really like that it's more lightweight for dog attachment lol. And I still gotta finish editing videos, but I'll share them here when I get the chance.
    Post edited by Lilikoi at 2017-08-17 22:11:03
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    lol, late notice, but @Zenki I just noticed that in your first post you mentioned that you had tried an improvised Julius harness for GoPro footage and it sucked... I was considering buying a new Julius harness and creating amount out of it myself... But do you think it wouldn't be the right kind of style at all? Of course I don't wanna waste the money if it's just gonna be a failure... and I'm assuming I would need to like cut off the handle or something to make space for it... Not quite sure.

Really the only styles I've come across online are knock offs of the GoPro fetch or ones styled like the Julius, but they're all too big for Ozzy lol. I've found a couple like the kurgo one, or looked at people making ones using head mounts and stuff... Idk. I don't know what the best possible option is. I just want something comfy enough to wear during some hikes, as stable / smooth as possible.

I'm gonna try kind of trying to not permanently attach it to some of the harnesses I have later today and see what seems like the most stable style and position for the camera.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    So double posting cus I tried using gorilla tape to "secure" the GoPro to a few different harnessss that I have, and the Julius was the best performing by far haha. The ruffwear webmaster's only easy spot to secure the camera was like too close to the front, making it pretty shaky over the shoulders and the harness tends to slip a bit from one side to the other. The Julius did great. Even after he shook it stayed in place. It definitely isn't perfectly smooth, I don't think that's an attainable goal. But better than what I've tried so far. I also tried on the GoPro fetch harness again and just don't like it. Has to be so tight on Ozzy that it's uncomfortable, and even then it doesn't stay stable very well. Worst part about the Julius is the handle does get in the way. I taped it to the very back, on top of the label. You could see a bit of the handle on the bottom of the shot until I tried a taller mount. I don't really want to have to destroy / dismantle a perfectly good Julius harness to make it work..

But I ordered one anyway. Neon green cus I thought it would be nice if he's easily visible when filming some sick shots in the mountains or something lol.
    Post edited by Lilikoi at 2017-08-22 06:15:44
  • ZenkiZenki
    well, my Julius harness experiment was a fail because i used the handle to attach a gopro clip on mount. i also tried to clip on directly on the harness. hahaha! i wasn't very creative with the experiment. my other brilliant idea is to attach a pull wagon on his harness and mount the gopro on the wagon. then i realized that all we would see is a shiba fluffy butt sashaying around.
    Untitled
    Black, Tan and Awesome

– Ann Landers

• LilikoiLilikoi
    @Zenki - lol! I didn't even think to try the clip on mount. I've seen some videos of like dogs holding things like sticks / pvc pipe with the camera mounted on it, and I love the shots from that angle... but I really don't think I could get Ozzy to just carry a somewhat heavy stick around for more than 30 seconds or something, and that's just not practical for capturing a longer adventure like hiking a trail. Hopefully I can attach it to the Julius harness okay... I'm not sure if I want to like super glue / permanently attach something and render the harness useless if the GoPro thing doesn't work out... I'm thinking I'll try one of those stick on mounts first... idk how well it'll work, but might as well try it before the more drastic stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)