For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Dry shampoo
  • MimiKMimiK
    Hi there,
    I've read a lot of discussions about bathing your shiba. From what I understood, people recommend bathing your dog just a few times a year.
    What about dry shampoo? Can I use it once a month on my dog or it should be just a couple of times a year just like bathing?
    I bought the Wahl 100% natural, no rinse shampoo. The scent is lavender and chamomile. I think it smells really nice but my puppy hates it. Is there any dry shampoo without an overwhelming scent that you guys recommend?

Thanks!
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    I use waterless shampoo occasionally. I only use it about once a month or so, just if we've been spending a lot of time outside and needs to be freshened up without a full bath lol. Ozzy loves brushing and doesn't mind the waterless shampoo at all. Sometimes I just use a spray bottle of water when brushing also.
  • MimiKMimiK
    Which waterless shampoo do you buy?
    Kiki doesn't mind the brushing either but she hates the smell of the dry shampoo I got her.
    You gave me the idea of diluting it in a spray bottle full of water! Thanks!
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    I have 2. The one I use most of the time is by chi :)) I love the smell.. it's not super overpowering but it is lasting lol. Some might consider it overpowering. It smells just like their human hair stuff, which is a pretty nostalgic scent for me so I love it lol. I also have one by animology or something. I've barely used it and really don't like the smell of it.. both of mine were just from like petsmart or petco, so not really anything great quality or exclusive. Diluting it is not a bad idea at all! :)
    Post edited by Lilikoi at 2017-01-25 00:05:54
  • MimiKMimiK
    :) thanks for the info!
  • AnjyilAnjyil
    Gonna bump this because I am in the same boat as Mimik. Actually, not sure if he hates the smell--I think he just hates the spray. Diluting in water might be a good idea. I was also thinking of spraying it onto the actual brush. I saw a dog groomer talking about that technique on a video.
  • spacedogsspacedogs
    I've never shampooed either of our Shibas, they're always so clean and they smell like pretzels and I love it! I have sprayed them down with the shower head after digging in the dirt, and brushed a bit of coconut oil on to their furs but that's it. :o Do they need to be bathed more? I thought they were supposed to be a less hassle in that department breed?? :(
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Lol you can bathe however often you want (though more than like once a month might be overkill)! :) We do a lot of outdoor stuff, so I bathe Ozzy like once every couple months or so. And I gave him a bath when he was shedding really heavily in Texas, which helped to really loosen up all the fur he was dumping. :)) I still use a super gentle shampoo cus even when he needs to be cleaned (like after backpacking trips), he never seems to get the sour doggy smell.

Ozzy loves getting brushed. Most of the time I just spray with water so the fur doesn't fly everywhere as much. He just loves it cus he got treats and practice when young a lot lol.
    Post edited by Lilikoi at 2017-02-18 02:37:13
  • MimiKMimiK
    I started using grooming wipes instead of dry shampoo. I bought the hypoallergenic unscented one and KiKi doesn't mind it at all.
    She is very different than shibas which I have read are usually clean dogs. If she sees a mud puddle she runs and rolls in it!
  • My vet told me that if I use hypoallergenic shampoo, I can bathe him as much as I want. Since he's only a puppy, I get a bath, nail clipping and ear cleaning from Petsmart for only $12.99 (which is just too good to pass up on) and I take him once a month and have them use a hypoallergenic shampoo. I take him to the dog park a lot and he gets filthy, plus it's cheaper to get the package deal at Petsmart then just get his nails clipped and ears cleaned sooo....i think he's turned out okay lol. Once I lose the puppy pricing, I probably won't go as often.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)