For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Raw/Cooked Bones Splinter Test
  • JasonWJasonW
  • JuniJuni
    That's interesting. I have an extremely fussy dog who eats pre made raw but won't chew any bones or eat any other bigger raw chunks of meat. She would need to chew more on bones because she gets plaque/tartar very easily despite me brushing her teeth.
    So I've been wondering if it would be possible to put chicken legs or ribs of some kind in boiling water for just some seconds, just to get the outer meaty part more palatable for her (she likes cooked meat) and in the hope the bone would still stay "fresh".
    I am guessing it would kill off quite a few germs too.
    If you worry about salmonella and other germs, from what I heard most dogs don't get any symtoms. It is more a risk to you.

(Also I think Admin would prefer you to post this in an existing thread on raw)
  • JasonWJasonW
    Juni - that's exactly what I wanted to find out too: Anyone whose dogs were having trouble going completely raw or had issues with poultry quality, and using light cooking to get around both issues. So far, I've only dared to handfeed chicken necks for the teeth cleaning issue - the voracious little guy can gnaw his way through a neck in under a minute with his back teeth. Regarding bone intake for nutrition, my homemade ground-up bone meal does the job. With the ground-up bonemeal, it also allows Kyubi to eat his meal neatly out of a bowl when his 'dining towel' is in the wash...hehe. I rather not feed him off the floor because I would have to clean it with Dettol afterwards (for us humans' hygiene) and I am very paranoid about him inadvertently licking any chemicals off the floor!

Apologies to admin if you preferred to keep it under the raw thread. I noticed that the raw thread was about 14 pages long and I didn't want this relatively unique experiment findings to be buried too deeply within another semi-related conversation. I thought it would be handier to have it as a separate reference point which users could find more easily when Googling 'bone test site:www.shibainuforum.org' or searching on the forum itself.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)