For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
First real winter
  • cjcbcjcb
    Hello Shiba Inuers,

We moved to Moscow, ID from Miami, FL. Tochi, our Shiba, will experience his first winter after living for 5 yrs in a very tropical climate.
    We got here in late July, so he's been experiencing a gradual drop in temperatures (we are doing to low 30's at night). As usual, he blew his undercoat within the last month. He was never very "furry" to begin with, so I'm wondering whether I should take any precautions.
    I've read in the forums that most Shibas will do fine in the winter and that I should be careful with their paws (ice, salt, etc.)

Any thoughts, ideas are welcome!
    Tochi Satake | Red Shiba Inu | DOB: 10/15/2011 | Miami, FL
    http://tochitheshiba.tumblr.com/
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Hey! I'm in Idaho (about as far away as possible in Idaho Falls lol). I got my pup in January, and he did great during the winter. He loves the snow and didn't have any problems with being cold or anything. He is pretty fluffy though. I have a winter coat for him in case he needs it, which he most likely won't unless the weather is really blizzardy. It's made by Hurtta. I also use Musher's Secret paw wax cus the salt used on the sidewalks can be pretty harsh. So far this winter has seemed really mild for us. We just got our first snow last night, and it was nothing but a light dusting. The weather hasn't felt like November at all. My boyfriend works at a coffee shop and they've been complaining about how low the sales are this year because it's been so warm lol. So maybe this will be a mild winter for Tochi to adjust to. :) it's probably cooler up in Moscow though, huh? Now here it's finally down in the 30s, but it's been in the 60s for the past while. We'll be spending a month near Houston where it stays pretty warm, so I'm hoping the return to Idaho isn't a shock and hopefully he doesn't lose his undercoat while we're visiting warm Texas. It's not a bad thing to have a spare extra layer, but Tochi might not ever need to use it. I love the Musher's Secret, though. I kept a towel near the door or with us in the car so I could dry Ozzy off after being out in the snow.

(Pics from last winter)

Post edited by Lilikoi at 2016-11-17 22:01:46
  • I'm in MA and my two shibas love the snow! The little one took a little while to get used to getting his paws wet, he still hates going outside in the rain, but my other shiba absolutely loves the snow. Now it's impossible to get either one of them inside when there's snow on the ground! I try not to walk them on the sidewalk when it snows because of the salt, but I am going to have to get some of the Musher's secret and see if they will let me put that on their paws this winter! I got them both winter jackets but Koda is the only one who will walk with his on, Aesop just freezes. I figured I would add some pictures from the last two winters too :) We had a blizzard the first year we got them and the snow was at the top of the fence at one point!

photo IMG_0061_1024_zpsxsxudrb4.jpg

photo IMG_0419_1024_zps2wom9x83.jpg

This was after the blizzard, we had to be careful the dogs didn't jump the fence when they were outside. Luckily they never did, they just ran around for hours.
    photo IMG_0305_1024_zpsykmdfle3.jpg

photo IMG_0187_1024_zpsszao1vfn.jpg

photo thumb_IMG_2640_1024_zpsbxrtlmvs.jpg

photo thumb_IMG_2623_1024_zpscxdveflz.jpg

photo IMG_0927_1024_zpskg5mtlgy.jpg

photo IMG_1365_1024_zpsavnpb8k2.jpg

• JuniJuni
    We had a heavy snowfall here last week, with complete traffic chaos following. All inner city buses were cancelled and some schools closed. Juni loves snow like most dogs and it takes forever because she wants to sniff in every foot print and paw print she sees.
    But this time because the snow was so deep and heavy she found it difficult to find any good toilet spots. The snow went over her belly in her usual spots. So that part also took forever...
  • ObizaObiza
    This will be our first winter with Rusty but I'm pretty sure his original owners lived in the state so I'd imagine he's pretty adjusted to winter. As @Lilikoi mentioned it's been a pretty mild fall into winter. It just started finally getting cold and the first blizzard missed us so only a dusting of snow so far. I plan to try the Musher's secret once people start salting. I do worry he'll be cold since he's a mixed breed and his undercoat is thin to nonexistent on his belly but he seems as exciting as always for walk time.

Here's a picture when we got some wet snow in October but it melted within an hour. His outdoor run area has been moved so it connects to our garage now that it's colder. We finally just got the dog door in for it. He's not a huge fan of pushing anything with his nose so there's been a learning curve.
    IMG_0870
  • ObizaObiza
    I spoke too soon! By Wednesday we'll have over a foot. On our nightly walk tonight Rusty was sniffing everything and jumping in the drifts. The howling wind and snow flurries don't seem to phase him at all.
  • @Obiza-Your Rust looks so happy walking in the snow!! My Quakey absolutely loves the snow. He runs around, sniffs, and eats the snow and then is happy to continue on our aerobic walk. Quakey picked the right Pet Mum because I love snow too so we continue our aerobic walks no matter the weather conditions!
  • ObizaObiza
    Here's some updated pictures from the 20" or so we got earlier this week.
    IMG_0953
    IMG_0950
    IMG_0947
    Post edited by Obiza at 2016-12-03 19:06:12
  • cjcbcjcb
    We had our first snow last week, and Tochi absolutely loved it!! Our walk took forever as he would stop and sniff every single foot/paw print. He was also obsessed with snow flying around.
    I think I am the one that needs something (e.g., snow boots) :)
  • ObizaObiza
    The weather has gotten very extreme here now. Negative temperatures with wind gusts up to 50mph and snowfall mixed in. We barely started our evening walk and had to turn around because he was shaking and it took 4 tries to get him to go potty this morning. He was barely out for 5 minutes and came back limping. I am reconsidering getting him boots and a vest now and hoping he'll just suck it up once the walk starts. For anyone influenced by this blizzard, please be safe!
  • cjcbcjcb
    wow! The coldest it's gotten here so far is 14F; however, in the next couple of days, we will dropping to 0 and perhaps lower. So far, he seems OK with the cold but may need to invest on a coat.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Where I live in Idaho finally got tonssss of snow, and yesterday got down to just short of -30 Fahrenheit. :-O but I'm currently in Texas where it's 80 and Ozzy's losing all of his undercoat! Gonna be chilled when we return home in January..
  • ObizaObiza
    That's going to be quite the adjustment for both of you! I think I'd take it worse than Rusty would. It's finally gotten back in the positive double digits in North Dakota so we've been able to take our nice hour long hikes in the evening. But it looks like state will get slammed with a Christmas blizzard. Fortunately we'll be in Wisconsin where it's going to be a soggy one it sounds like :-)
    Post edited by Obiza at 2016-12-23 14:46:00
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    We just got back from Texas, and Ozzy can hardly handle the cold here atm lol. He blew his entire undercoat and it's currently about -20 f, supposed to get down to -30 later today. I think I'm gonna get him some boots, he can barely walk when he's outside at the moment. He just hops around and cries and lays down to avoid standing on his paws. :( even with mushers secret. But he does better when wearing his coat haha. For now he doesn't want to be outside much... we had a super fast-paced walk and are playing lots of fetch inside. :P
    Post edited by Lilikoi at 2017-01-05 19:53:05
  • ObizaObiza
    It's been cold here again too. Each time it warms up it snows more! We have 5' drifts in places. Fortunately he doesn't seem to eager to use them to his advantage to escape the fence... and honestly the snow is so dry he'd probably just sink :P Rusty really isn't much for toys or fetch but he's taken interest suddenly in one of the toys we bought him months ago and has been chasing it around the house.
  • spacedogsspacedogs
    I got some post-poop zoomies on film, complete with a foot and a half of snow depth in most of the yard - except under the trees, it's only about 8" there.

Enjoy! =))

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (1)