For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Pup won't eat or drink outside, even if we're out all day
  • My 6 month old pup refuses to eat or drink unless we're at home. I'm concerned because we'll do some tough hikes and he still won't take any water.

Once we get home, he'll chill for a bit and then inhale a ton of food and water.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
  • Post edited by EmpressSachi at 2016-11-08 19:48:35
  • sunyatasunyata
  • Yeah my only thought was that perhaps your pup is too stressed to take the items while out. Most dogs will refuse food and water when under stress. Maybe you're just pushing them in to it faster than they are actually prepared to handle? Try toning it back and moving in baby steps, and use high value treats they won't refuse to reward them while out.
  • Thank you all for your responses. Temba is usually the one pushing me to go further... maybe he's letting his enthusiasm get the better of the things. Even after a hike, he'll want to keep walking around the neighborhood when we get home... He's happy, running and shows no symptoms of dehydration, but going several hours with water is just plain bad.

I'm currently using a plastic container for water when we're outside (he has porcelain and stainless steel bowls at home). He is not treat motivated at all when we're outside, and barely so when inside (I've tried everything, but praise and play work better), but I will definitely try some adding some broth to his water.

Will keep you posted...

• Ok, looks like using some homemade chicken broth did the trick (basically boiled some chicken and saved the broth... nothing fancy). I guess I'll be making batches and freezing them. I'll try cutting back on the broth to water ratio over time as well.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)