For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
  • sunyatasunyata
    So, a couple of months ago, a really awesome forum member (more active on the Nihon Ken side) decided that she wanted some patches for her Kai Ken's harnesses. Well, she could never find any so she decided to make her own. She shared the idea with some close friends, and it ended up that she made a patch for each of the six Nihon Ken breeds. She even made multiple colours of Shibas (red, black & tan, and cream). I bought a few and absolutely love them.

So, I thought I would share here!

Shiba Patches

Red Shiba:
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/477281863/embroidered-shiba-inu-patch?ref=listing-shop-header-2

Black & Tan Shiba:
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/477561177/black-and-tan-shiba-embroidered-patch?ref=listing-shop-header-1

Cream Shiba:
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/470596010/embroidered-cream-shiba-inu-patch?ref=related-4

They work great on harnesses, backpacks, hats, etc.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
  • @Sunyata-Thanks for sharing this. I will definitely buy a Black and Tan Shiba patch!!
  • ZenkiZenki
    just ordered two. hahaha! one is definitely going on my camera bag. other one, not sure yet... maybe glue a magnet on it for my fridge or white board at work. :)
    Zenki
    Black, Tan and Awesome
    Instagram: @ShibaZenki

“Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.”
    – Ann Landers

• I definitely want a B&T one, it would look so good on Hiro's harness chest pad!
  • JuniJuni
    The patches are super cute but I thought advertising wasn't allowed on the forum?
  • sunyatasunyata
    Juni said:

The patches are super cute but I thought advertising wasn't allowed on the forum?

Self advertising is not allowed, nor is the advertising of puppies/breeders. But if you find a product that you love and want to share it, this is the proper category to do so in.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • Awesome!
    But, now I'm wondering about the possibility of the personalized patch!! (Inquiry sent...)
  • ZenkiZenki
    already asked... I wanted the patch to say ZENKI instead of SHIBA. She said can't do it.
    ordered two patches anyway. hahaha!
    Zenki
    Black, Tan and Awesome

“Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.”
    – Ann Landers

• Great minds!!
    Guess I'll suck it up and order my prefab, generic ones too...
    :)>-
  • hondruhondru

Great minds!!
    Guess I'll suck it up and order my prefab, generic ones too...
    :)>-

I'd hardly call these prefab, generic patches. She made these at the request of people wanting their colour shiba represented. It's not as though she's obligated to provide any artwork for anyone, in the form of patches or otherwise, nor is buying someone's artwork a chore.
    -Heidi, with Rakka (shikoku) and Sosuke (kai ken)
  • CaliaCalia
    Here's the thing, these patches were made with artistic care and offered at an insanely low price so that us Shiba and Nihon ken enthusiasts can enjoy some beautiful and unique mementos. Embroidery is not an easy or cheap thing to do, and to offer these patches with custom names would bring the price way up and detract people from buying them.

Though, if you really want to include your dogs name then it's not hard to order one from a custom embroiderer. Would probably cost about $10-$20 for it given the time it takes to set up.
    Post edited by Calia at 2016-11-09 04:39:15
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Just gonna throw this out there. I think the "prefab" and "generic" adjectives were meant with sarcasm. Like if you were buying a Ferrari and it didn't come in lime green and replied "guess I'll just take the BASIC MODEL siiiiiiigh" lol. Maybe it wasn't meant with any sarcasm, but people always take things seriously on the internet so thought I'd mention how I took it when I read the comment.

Anyway. I totes want a shiba one hah. Love that they're so affordable and look awesome.
  • sunyatasunyata
    Lilikoi said:

Just gonna throw this out there. I think the "prefab" and "generic" adjectives were meant with sarcasm. Like if you were buying a Ferrari and it didn't come in lime green and replied "guess I'll just take the BASIC MODEL siiiiiiigh" lol. Maybe it wasn't meant with any sarcasm, but people always take things seriously on the internet so thought I'd mention how I took it when I read the comment.

I really REALLY hope that you are right. Waking up to read what could be taken as a selfish, entitled post really struck a nerve with me. Especially when the artist took time out of her busy life to make not only the red Shiba, but the B&T and cream at the request of Shiba owners.

For those of you who do not understand how embroidery works, let me explain it to you. It is either done by hand (SUPER time consuming) or by a computerized embroidery machine (SUPER expensive to purchase). The artist came up with the design and partnered with a company that has embroidery machines to produce them. In order to make the patches cost effective, she had to order 50 of each style. If you wanted a personalized one, I am sure she will consider accommodating you IF you pre-order 50 of them.

@Calia's suggestion to order one from a custom embroiderer is a good one. However, please keep in mind that you will need to come up with your own Shiba design, as stealing artwork is not only a crime, but just wrong.
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • CaliaCalia
    sunyata said:

@Calia's suggestion to order one from a custom embroiderer is a good one. However, please keep in mind that you will need to come up with your own Shiba design, as stealing artwork is not only a crime, but just wrong.

Yes, and something to also consider is that the price I gave was just to have letters for a name done. To get a patch with artwork, multiple colors, and the extra work to convert the image for the machine to read is going to bring the price up. I wouldn't be surprised if a one off patch of this quality costs $30+ to make. The bulk purchasing of a design can bring the price down significantly, as is the case with any collectable.

Which these patch are, they are a unique limited edition collectable that were created with care by an experienced artist who loves these breeds as much as the rest of us. I already ordered my patches andplan to order some more.
  • Whoa.

As the illustrator who designed all these NK patches, I just want to speak up and say...

well- #1- thank you to Casey for sharing my work here, and I am glad you enjoy your patches :)

But also, that
    - for the effort I put in designing 12 different breeds for patches
    - the accommodation I have made to include less common variations of our breeds requested by owners in several rounds as the project developed. (I am pretty sure I will not sell enough of some of these rarer breeds to cover the costs of having them made.)
    - the friendliness with which I answered the Empress' actual inquiry on Etsy about whether I could produce ones with her dog's name on them (I really just can not- it is hard enough to find a company that does a good job embroidering that will run such small quantities of 50 for me, and let me revise before production) I was thankful and kind and friendly.

"Sender: Chrystal Cleary Date: 6 hours ago 3:49pm EST
    Message: Aw- that would be cool! But it's beyond my capability. With embroidery to be economical I have to keep them identical and have them made in batches of 50. If I got into names, they;d have to be digitized individually.

Thanks for checking my patches out, though! I appreciate it! Extra pats to the pup!

Chrystal"

...that consequently seeing my work called "prefab and generic" in response on a forum just really sucks. :(
    That's a raw nerve, man.

To be clear: My goal was to make something fun and versatile so that those of us with the breeds you can't find good/any gear of, could have something of our breeds for once. The patches are small, and are intended to fit on a variety of things we all already own- our packs and jackets, hats and scarves, etc. It was about making nice stuff for the breed community who never find a Kishu hat, or hike a lot with their Shikoku and think a patch on their pack would be cool. All I wanted was a Kai patch for my own backpack to be a real thing, and to share the opportunity to have such things with my friends in other NK breeds by making more patches as I was capable in the breeds they love too. I am not an embroidery shop- I'm an artist and a fellow NK owner who made something cool and hopes to cover my costs in the end while keeping the price affordable.

Nobody has to buy or share my stuff- that's totally fine! but I'll thank you not to go out of your way to be insulting about it on forums just because I can't put your own dog's name on it. Sometimes the answer is just "I'm sorry, no." and the way we respond to that answer is part of our character.
  • WOW -- :O :-t -- a little hypersensitive, thin-skinned controversy swirling up over my "prefab, generic" commentary...?!! Thanks for coming to my defense @lilikoi -- you ARE correct so let's all focus on my "Awesome!" comment which lives just 2 posts above the tongue-in-cheek, winky-winky one!!

I completely dig these things. I fully appreciate the artwork and that Wryly Brindle took the time to design them. They are lovely and I'll be picking up a few for Sachi and a few more as gifts for some of my Shiba-lover friends...

When none existed, it always surprises me the level of malice people will read into a simple text comment. It should be just as easy to CHOOSE to read a sentence and interpret it being said with a smile (which, is actually the nature of MY character), but I guess it's safer some to always assume the worst...
    Post edited by EmpressSachi at 2016-11-09 16:19:32
  • hondruhondru

Wit always surprises me the level of malice people will read into a simple text comment. It should be just as easy to CHOOSE to read a sentence and interpret it being said with a smile

Then may I suggest that you go back and read all the comments that upset you and choose not to be upset? Whatever the meaning of the actual words appearing on the screen, feel free to interpret them to mean something entirely different.

ETA: Said with a smile! :)
    Post edited by hondru at 2016-11-09 16:39:33
  • sunyatasunyata

WOW -- :O :-t -- a little hypersensitive, thin-skinned controversy swirling up over my "prefab, generic" commentary...?!!

Perhaps THIS is why people were quick to jump to the conclusion that you were not being kind with your commentary. I think a good course of action in a situation like this is to apologize for your comment, advise that it was said tongue in cheek, and move on.

That being said, the best action would have been to never say the comment in the first place online, since words on a screen can be interpreted in a million different ways. Calling someone's hard work generic and prefab is not okay, even if the comment's intention was to be sarcastic.

*said with a smile*
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • hondruhondru
    I agree with Casey. "Hyper-sensitive" and "thin-skinned" are also rude terms, and I don't see any way to interpret them as sarcastic/joking. Why should people be held accountable for the "choice" of being offended, but you not be held accountable for choosing to type out rude words?

:)
  • ZenkiZenki
    Hi.

I think that escalated fairly quickly. I was also one who inquired for 'personalization' because it doesn't hurt to ask. I was expecting a "No" or a "yes with added cost" because $5 just seems like too small a cost for personalization. The "No" response I got was great, tbh.
    "Aw, sorry! It's not within my capability to personalize them individually. :)
    Zenki is an awesome name! Give the Z-dog some scritches behind the ear from me!

Chrystal"

This is a perfectly acceptable response. Even has a personal touch that felt reassuring it wasn't a copy-pasted response, so bravo to you! <3 I bought 2 patches anyway because I love the patches and loved the response even more. I just need to learn how to sew them on my camera bag, now.<br />
    note: Sarcasm doesn't translate very well over written text. It's misunderstood way too often. So sarcastically tread carefully in the future. ;)
    Zenki
    Black, Tan and Awesome

– Ann Landers

Post edited by Zenki at 2016-11-09 19:21:02
  • ZenkiZenki
    btw, it would be nice for everybody to take a step back. goosfrahbah a couple of times.
    nothing but a misunderstanding. feelings were genuinely hurt. everything afterwards were reactionary mechanisms. Please try to shrug it off. We're all shiba friends here. :)

Let's just go back to how great these patches look. Thanks to the designer and maker. you the real MVP! *dunno how to make a thumbs up emoticon*
    Zenki
    Black, Tan and Awesome

– Ann Landers

• ZenkiZenki
    I received my patches and stuck one on my camera bag which will be extensively used to capture the antics of Zenki in the foreseeable future. just wanted to share how it turned out. I'm really happy about the patch. :)

Untitled

Untitled
    Zenki
    Black, Tan and Awesome

– Ann Landers

• Love the patch. I cannot wait until mine arrives in the mail!
  • I love how the red in the patch matches the red collar the little shiba stuffy! :)

Black and Tan shiba patches have sold out now (a group in the UK cleaned me out of the last of them!)- But Antoinette, yours went out on the 9th. Shipping seems to be taking a while to get to DC area and Long Island. :/ Should not be that long from VT. I'm anxious to know when your arrives.
  • @Wryly Brindle-Thanks for the update. I'll let you know when it arrives!
  • I love how the red in the patch matches the red collar the little shiba stuffy! :)

Black and Tan shiba patches have sold out now (a group in the UK cleaned me out of the last of them!)- But Antoinette, yours went out on the 9th. Shipping seems to be taking a while to get to DC area and Long Island. :/ Should not be that long from VT. I'm anxious to know when your arrives.

Are there going to be more black and tan patches to order? I know I would buy at least two if not more!
  • sunyatasunyata
    @Antoinette - It took mine a tad over two weeks to arrive from VT to the DC area. I have no idea why it took so long, but they did eventually arrive and I LOVE them. :)
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    I Wander, I Ride
  • @sunyata-Thanks for the update. I was wondering what had happened to my patch!! LOL! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving week.
  • @jtocchio0531
    I have been hearing disappointment about the selling out of black and tan shiba, so I ordered another run of just the minimum. I should have them in two weeks and will zip them out to everyone who preorders them as soon as I get them! I am expecting them by the 12th, but the embroidery shop has been faster than their estimates, historically. Thanks for asking about them!
  • @Wryly Brindle-I received my black and tan Shiba patch and I love it!
  • ZenkiZenki
    Show us where you guys attach these patches! btw, I just used a fabric glue to attach mine to my camera bag.
    Zenki
    Black, Tan and Awesome

– Ann Landers

• @Zemki-I used fabric glue to attach mine to a camera bag too!
  • @Wryly Brindle- I just ordered my two black and tan patches and two red ones! Thanks for ordering more I am so excited to get them!
    Post edited by jtocchio0531 at 2016-12-03 20:08:07
  • And I have shipped them right out! :) Thanks so very much! Hope you like them!
  • Thanks for mine WB! (Stocking stuffers!!)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (6)