For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Feeling like a bad Shiba mom today
  • MoshMosh
    So last night my little girl threw up and I checked this morning to find a worm. I am being told that this happens in puppies and she was already going to the vet today to have vaccines so she will get de-worming meds, but I cannot help but feel like such a bad mama. It honestly never crossed my mind that this would happen and of course now I see every burp as bad lol. The only thing I have been seeing is she is kinda skinny but always eats her food. Sigh. Not sure if anyone else has dealt with this? :(

• BootzBootz
    How old is she?

If she's been eating but is constantly on the skinny side she probably has tape worms.

Have you notice any worms in her stools?
  • MoshMosh
    No worms in her stool. I check cause I am a worrying mama lol. She threw up one worm. She got a treatment today. I have one with me for 2 weeks out and shell have another one 2 weeks after that and a test. The vet told me she seemed super healthy and she has gained 3 pounds in 3 weeks. The vet also thinks her breeder didn't deworm her as we thought. She was really thorough and I feel okay now since Asuka is running around and eating and acting normal now.

I also was told to switch her food and am having trouble finding a good one since the wellness puppy food makes her sick. She seems to want to eat throughout the day unlike my cats. Any suggestions on food?
  • Mine did really well on Merrick puppy, which you can buy at Petco. I fed dry and a little wet mixed in.
  • spacedogsspacedogs
    If the food made her sick it could be that she's allergic to something in it - allergies are fairly common in Shibas & you'll find a ton of info on the forums here about it, but to the point of it no one can recommend what will work for her, it's very trial and error.

The standard practice is to swap to a diet of boiled rice and chicken (or pork, salmon, or beef or such, just a protein source that is affordable, we ended up settling on beef as chicken turned out to be one of her allergens). Once your pup is eating this regularly, having solid stools and showing no other signs of illness, you can move on to introducing a limited ingredient kibble a bit at a time until they adjust to it. Pick one that has the same protein source if you can. There are lots of limited ingredient foods out there, Merrick, Fromm, Boreal, and Acana all make excellent products (and others but those come to mind for limited ingredient off the top of my head).

Search the forums, you'll find a lot more info on the matter scattered in various threads to help you with this, and other subjects that could be causing her to have issues with food.
  • MoshMosh
    You all are very helpful! I will look into some other threads @spacedogs she is currently 13 weeks and 7 pounds but the vet felt she was perfectly healthy. I wonder if she is just a small girl cause when she eats she eats a lot just over a period of time. I might be so used to my cat that plows through his food super fast.
  • MoshMosh
    To update y'all... since the deworm medicine, all of a sudden she is putting on weight and loving eating. I've also incorporated wet food. It seems like gross worns were the issue o_O
  • BootzBootz
    Yes that's why I mentioned if she had any worms in her stool. She probably had worms in her organs that suck up all the nutrients from her food, hence why she ate a lot but didn't gain weight. I would suggest you monitor her size and adjust her feeding accordingly

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (0)