For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
So I went to register Yumi with the council today...
  • ...and they didn't have Shiba Inu as an option on their computer.

No biggie. Not a common breed in rural Australia. But they say they have to put a breed down to help with identification should she get lost, so they ask what else she looks like. So I suggest a little Akita. Nope. No Akita.

So they ask to see a picture so they could see what they thought she looks like, and they suggested... pomeranian cross.

OMG so much Shiba-mumma-rage right now.

Needless to say, they're going to look about adding Shiba to their computer system.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Pomeranian! Psh. Lol sounds like they need to expand their database. Looking for vets here, a lot of them were always having me spell Shiba Inu and pronounced it wrong lol. Small town hype.
  • niki82niki82
    Oh dear poor Yumi! Never mind we know who you are sweetie.
    :)
  • brucewaynebrucewayne
    One of my neighbors just got a long haired shiba. Apparently her dog walker thought it was a Pomeranian. I felt the rage for her....
  • pyleapylea
    Ha! Pylea got mistaken for a pomeranian so many times when she was a puppy. Offensive!
  • Yojimbo_90Yojimbo_90
    "Pomsky" was the worst one for me :(
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    I got pomsky from some lady at a petsmart like a month ago!! And some kid called Ozzy a chihuahua in a store the other day....lololol. X(
  • KalleonKalleon
    Pomsky is pretty bad, but chihuahua is even worse! Has that kid ever actually seen a chihuahua before? I feel offended for you that your shiba was ever thought to be that!

Surprisingly, people usually ask me what Phoenix is (which I appreciate), but if they don't ask I have had a LOT of people call him an akita puppy or "the Hachi dog". Don't know why that bothers me so much lol. Probably because when I tell them he is not an akita, but a shiba inu and a totally different breed, they just say "Oh, so he's just a MINI akita then." :O
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    yeah people have given Ozzy the mini Akita and also mini chow chow comment surprisingly often ha. Oddly on a walk the other day, tonssss of people were asking if he was a fox hybrid, asking what he was, guessing wrong breeds etc... Then a middle aged construction worker asks if he's a Shiba, all the other workers were very impressed with his random dog knowledge. xD
    Post edited by Lilikoi at 2016-07-31 21:46:34
  • niki82niki82
    @lilikoi... Fox hybrid!!!! :-)) yeah I've been asked that too! That one never fails to baffle me though, I mean are there really that many people who think a fox can breed with a Dog??? :-/
    Post edited by niki82 at 2016-08-01 00:01:45
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Yeah! People ask it all the time. Or ask if he's some kind of coyote mix which at least is a bit more logical lol.
  • RooneyRooney
    People will ask what kind of dog Rooney is and when I say Shiba Inu (even spell it for them), they still assume he's a mix of some kind. It seems like I'm always explaining that Shibas are an actual breed that's been around for thousands of years, but are just scarce in the United States. A lot of people do also assume he's still a puppy and going to get bigger.
    Allison, Rooney's Mom
  • KalleonKalleon
    @Rooney strangely enough I've had the exact opposite problem with people assuming that Phoenix is actually an adult dog and not a puppy xD I mean he is rather relaxed for his age... but still lol
  • RooneyRooney
    @Kalleon, people are weird. There doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency other than people not knowing much about the breed. It's probably good for the Shibas though since a lot of people are terrible owners, like the neighbor who hits her GSD that @Juni mentioned in another thread. Shibas need people like us who take the time to learn about their quirks before bringing them home. ;)
    Allison, Rooney's Mom
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    This isn't as relevant to the topic, but I just met a lady who said she had a Shiba. She took out pics to show me what looked like a lab with a black mark on his head haha. She said he's 60 pounds because he's the medium sized "shibu inu," out of the 3 different sized that shibu inus come in. Went on to say how well bred hers was and how it has the perfect mask that they're supposed to have (the weird black mark on its head) and how weird my Ozzy looked because his tail curls up on his back and that isn't typical for a shibu inu....
    Post edited by Lilikoi at 2016-08-01 14:25:27
  • niki82niki82
    @lilikoi.... Oh my God! Lol =))
  • imBLASIANimBLASIAN
    @Lilikoi lol wow. Does this lady not have the internet.... or books. Pretty sure Dogs 101 can be found at the library.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Gah I know! Any simple google search will tell you Shiba standard is never 60 lbs lol. Occasionally I tried to subtly mention things like shiba standard being under 25 lbs and when she talked about how her Shiba had "the perfect mask" I tried to talk a bit about correct urajiro.. Ha. But I'm not very outspoken so for the most part I just let her confidently define shibas to all of my family hahaha. She was like an antique appraiser visiting my grandma's so hopefully she knows more about antiques than dogs. :P she would always cite her vet and assure us that he told her how perfect and top quality her medium shibu is.

Many aunts and uncles and cousins were visiting at the time too, just gathered around listening to her extensive knowledge haha. So as soon as she left I was like wow, that lady knows nothing about shibas... She told me she thought that Ozzy looked more like a corgi than a Shiba because of his triangular, pricked ears, another quality that is apparently not typical of a shibu inu. She also went on to talk about how they found a wild dingo near their home in North Carolina and kept it as a pet and it sounded an awfullll lot like an Australian cattle dog. Plus I highly doubt that they really came across a wild dingo in the US! Hahaha such nonsense.
    Post edited by Lilikoi at 2016-08-01 23:53:53
  • niki82niki82
    @lilikoi Oh dear, I'm not one to poke fun at a person for not knowing something, we all don't know everything. But when it comes to a "know it all" who really knows nothing and refuses to listen.... Well,then it's open season. Lol... Or I just don't bother.
    As for the dingo,it probably was a cattle dog or a Carolina dog. ;)
    Post edited by niki82 at 2016-08-02 04:31:38
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Yeah I was wondering if it was a Carolina dog, but I don't know much about them. I'm not bold enough to just tell them they're totally wrong to their face haha, and I don't think they're just totally idiots or wanna sound like I'm mocking them or anything. Nice, friendly, misguided people lol. Just a bit outrageous how far off she was, and yet also how confident she was in what she was saying. xD
    Post edited by Lilikoi at 2016-08-02 07:59:37
  • niki82niki82
    @lilikoi I've just realised Yuki's thread had been hi jacked!! :D sorry Yumi.

Just quickly, you did the right thing. What else could you do? She wouldn't have listened anyway but definitely would've got offended and that would have been awkward! You used manners in dealing with her. You and your family know the truth, no one else matters... I will say though, you were mature and used manners, she however was very rude, almost defensive, like she was trying to convince herself too! That's why she mocked handsome, perfect Ozzy... I think deep down she realizes she has been lied to from whoever she got her dog from and is trying to save face.
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    Lolol yeah sorry I know it wasn't super relevant. Keep us posted on whether they add shiba's to the directory for Yumi!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (2)