For all new members, please check out the thread New to the Forum? What to do and forum guidelines.
Male or Female?
  • Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum, getting a shiba puppy in August. We have a choice of female or male. I have always had female dogs(not shibas), so we are planning on getting a female. I was just wondering if anyone has experienced any big temperament differences between male or female shibas. Which do you prefer and why?

(Sorry if this already exists! I didn't find it anywhere)

[mod edit: changed category and closed thread due to duplicate topic]
    Post edited by sunyata at 2016-06-20 07:43:43
  • LilikoiLilikoi
    http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/6549/male-vs-female/p1

http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/6925/male-or-female/p1

I've never spent much time with a female shiba so I can't compare from experience yet. I would talk to your breeder about what personality traits are important to you and what kind of activities you're planning on doing with your pup. That's definitely more important than gender. I wasn't positive that I was getting a boy pup until like a couple weeks before I picked him up. When asked about my preference, I mentioned I was thinking of a boy but that gender wasn't as important to me as personality. We talked about the dogs that mine would regularly be interacting with, their genders and personalities and stuff... My pup is like my furry soul mate lol, I'm glad I talked so much with my breeder about my expectations and lifestyle and my ideal way to spend time together with my dog.
    Post edited by Lilikoi at 2016-06-18 13:46:28
  • NikkitineNikkitine
    There are times that I wish Tali was a boy and wonder whether she would be different =P From my experience and getting to know a lot of Shibas in the area, females seems to be more temperamental and sassier than males. I know of quite a few reactive females (mine included) but only 1 reactive male. Tali's brother, for example, is extremely sociable and carefree compared to her, even though they had very similar upbringings and despite my efforts to socialize Tali as much as I could growing up, it's just her personality to be the more sensitive and selective of the two. However, they both came from the same byb and it was expected there would be unstable temperaments in the litter.

A responsible and reputable breeder would be able to tell you more about both genders so take your time in really finding one that breeds for good temperament and health.
  • koyukikoyuki
    Personally having had 3 female Shibas and 2 males, i have not found any difference as far as how they are with us. The males are more reactive to other dogs, yet the females start the tiffs between them.
    Koyuki - red female
    Takeo- cream male
    Kenji- black and tan male
    Suma- sesame female
    Haruki-brindle Japanese Akita Inu
  • sunyatasunyata
    @OsakaYoshiko - Since this is a question that has been asked before, I am going to go ahead and close this thread. Please remember to search the forums for answers to your questions before posting a new thread.

Feel free to continue the conversation in one of the existing threads (there are two linked above).

Thanks!
    Bella 2Mountains 2Nola 2
    Casey, with Bella and Nola, hanging out in the mountains of Virginia.
    I Wander, I Ride
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (4)